Shopping for groceries at WDW

Don’t know which forum this belongs in…This trip since we are having our two DGDs and DD along, we are getting a 1 bedroom villa. Usually we just get 2 or 3 things from a disney store, but this time we will be needing a more. I’m planning for breakfast and snacks. Roughly our shopping list would be 2 cases water, several types of fruit, eggs, bread, sausage, OJ, grape juice, milk, soda, frozen waffles, bagels, cream cheese and probably a few other items. Would you recommend Wegoshop or garden grocer?

One more question…how does one figure a tip for these shopping services?

We’ve never used it, but I hear good things about Garden Grocer…and I’m sure if you asked they’d be happy to tell you about tipping. Or there may even be something about it on their website.

I looked at garden grocer and it just mentions tips are always welcome or something like that.

[QUOTE=jo-jo;1104408]Don’t know which forum this belongs in…This trip since we are having our two DGDs and DD along, we are getting a 1 bedroom villa. Usually we just get 2 or 3 things from a disney store, but this time we will be needing a more. I’m planning for breakfast and snacks. Roughly our shopping list would be 2 cases water, several types of fruit, eggs, bread, sausage, OJ, grape juice, milk, soda, frozen waffles, bagels, cream cheese and probably a few other items. Would you recommend Wegoshop or garden grocer?

One more question…how does one figure a tip for these shopping services?[/QUOTE]

Honestly I would go shopping and skip the delivery guy. HOWEVER!..skip Goodings. that place is such a ripoff. If you go under the I4 overpass near goodings and go about 6 miles there is a Walmart on the left hand side that does all the groceries at a normal price. You may have to be bilingual to pay your bill but it beats the crazy Goodings prices.

We won’t have a car so that idea won’t work.

We used Garden Grocer one year- I think when our youngest was 2?-- our in-laws were traveling with us too- Garden Grocer was awesome!! They coordinated delivery with us without any hiccups & everything that was on our list was there- not 1 item missing! It made the trip so much nicer & it was nice to not have to worry about getting to the stores via taxi- can’t say enough good things about it!

Forgot to mention our list was almost identical to yours- I had packed non-perishables like pop tarts, cereal bars & water flavoring packets but we had them deliver stuff like milk, yogurt, bagels, etc. - it was great for getting a quick breakfast in the room in order to get an early start on the parks or for a late night snack at the end of the day!

We have used We Go Shop a few times and have been pleased every time. They are so friendly and are willing to gomto more than one store with no added charge.

I have used them a few times. There is a minimum order and if you are not going to be there when they arrive, have your tip added to your bill. I tip according to how much I order or how much they will have to deliver. When I was at OKW and they had to climb up and down all those stairs with a ton of food and cases of water, I tipped $10.

Garden Grocer …
We like’m too … There service is always on time for us and cheap !!!

We’ve used Garden Grocer a few times and been happy each time. If your room’s not ready bell services holds the order & even refridgerates/freezes your perishables. The minimum order is $40 and they charge $12 delivery plus some gas fees now, so I “practiced” placing a $40 grocery order and it came to $70 after delivery, fees & tip. I’ve never seen the delivery person (they’ve always delivered to bell services) so I include the tip with my order.

I may look into Wego now just to compare the prices. The produce at GG is ridiculously priced!

[QUOTE=ssn;1104489]We’ve used Garden Grocer a few times and been happy each time. If your room’s not ready bell services holds the order & even refridgerates/freezes your perishables. The minimum order is $40 and they charge $12 delivery plus some gas fees now, so I “practiced” placing a $40 grocery order and it came to $70 after delivery, fees & tip. I’ve never seen the delivery person (they’ve always delivered to bell services) so I include the tip with my order.

I may look into Wego now just to compare the prices. The produce at GG is ridiculously priced![/QUOTE]

That’s what I thought. A pound of strawberries is 6 bucks, a 4.4 oz package of blueberries about 6 bucks. I don’t like cantaloupe so I don’t follow the price, but at GG they were 5 dollars. That sounds high to me :eek:

What % did you use for a tip? So if the total was 50 bucks plus 12 delivery, would would you tip 5-6 dollars?

[QUOTE=jo-jo;1104537]That’s what I thought. A pound of strawberries is 6 bucks, a 4.4 oz package of blueberries about 6 bucks. I don’t like cantaloupe so I don’t follow the price, but at GG they were 5 dollars. That sounds high to me :eek:

What % did you use for a tip? So if the total was 50 bucks plus 12 delivery, would would you tip 5-6 dollars?[/QUOTE]

I think I figured 10-15% of the grocery total so around $6 for tip. I went on WeGo last night and I foundit very confusing. You make a shopping list and send it to them - so there aren’t any prices. Their minimum is $50 and shipping $18. I’ll most likely go with GG again since I know what I’m getting. I’ll bring granola, bagels, peanut butter & order things I can’t bring with me: yogurt, juice, diet coke, water, eggos, cream cheese, fruit (believe it or not that came to $40!)

I was planning on packing a few things in the suitcase too. Cereal, box or two of mac and cheese, etc. Is sounds ridiculous, after spending thousands on a trip to disney,but it just kills me to spend 5 dollars on a box of cereal, when I know I have one at home that I got on sale with a coupon for 1.50. We fly southwest so we can bring two suitcases. And since we are having a 1 bedroom with a washer and dryer, we’ll be bringing less clothes, so there will space for some non-perishables.

Food wise, this will be a totally different trip with DGDs. You know kids are done eating a meal, then 20 mins later they are hungry. I was aiming for mostly breakfast, but other snacks (PB & J, cheese, fruit) for the odd times they are starving.

[QUOTE=jo-jo;1104543]I was planning on packing a few things in the suitcase too. Cereal, box or two of mac and cheese, etc. Is sounds ridiculous, after spending thousands on a trip to disney,but it just kills me to spend 5 dollars on a box of cereal, when I know I have one at home that I got on sale with a coupon for 1.50. We fly southwest so we can bring two suitcases. And since we are having a 1 bedroom with a washer and dryer, we’ll be bringing less clothes, so there will space for some non-perishables.

Food wise, this will be a totally different trip with DGDs. You know kids are done eating a meal, then 20 mins later they are hungry. I was aiming for mostly breakfast, but other snacks (PB & J, cheese, fruit) for the odd times they are starving.[/QUOTE]

You could mail the dry goods to the resort and they will hold the box for your arrival. If you send it 10-12 days before your arrival you can send it at 3rd class ground rate which is really cheap. No lugging stuff through the airport. Otherwise I would go with GG.
Now we drive, but, the another option is to grab a taxi from the resort and have them take you to a store just grocery stores on 535 (outside of the DTD hotels) where we shop before we check in for items that need refrigeration.

[QUOTE=Pam&Rich;1104547]You could mail the dry goods to the resort and they will hold the box for your arrival. If you send it 10-12 days before your arrival you can send it at 3rd class ground rate which is really cheap. No lugging stuff through the airport. Otherwise I would go with GG.
Now we drive, but, the another option is to grab a taxi from the resort and have them take you to a store just grocery stores on 535 (outside of the DTD hotels) where we shop before we check in for items that need refrigeration.[/QUOTE]

There isn’t too much lugging involved. At Philly, the check in counter is pretty much right as you walk into the airport and then ME takes it from there.

Rent an Alamo car for the day and hit Publix. You’ll probably save money.

we are the same position as you hun, staying in 1BV at OKW. We are toying with the Garden Grocer idea as it would help enormously but are also wondering if just asking bell services to get us a cab to the nearest store and back might just be easier and cheaper? We don’t need a lot just a few basics and good old normal butter (!) as we have the DDP included when we come. I’m so undecided it’s actually hurting my brain :laugh:

Poll, there’s Goodings down at the Crossroads Mall, I know it’s dearer than other supermarkets but it’s convenient for just a few bits and bobs. I think I’d go with your idea of a cab ride to stock up especially if you’re on DDP?

I understand that statement completely!

Just to make myself crazy. I’m going to write up what I would get and figure out what GG prices would be and figure what I would pay at a local store. I wish I was going to disney this week, Publix’s ad has strawberries 3 lb for $5.00. GG’s cost is $6.00 for 1 pound.

If I was doing the dining plan, I’d be getting even less food. Usually for DH and I, we get milk, juice and soda from disney.

For our last trip in Dec, I made cupcake size quiche and froze them. I had them in a small cardboard box inside a flat cooler (like a laptop size bag). Also had some frozen butter and english muffins and a couple of frozen water bottles (triple ziplock baged) all tucked that same bag which then went into my suitcase surrounding by clothes. By the time we got our bags, stuff was still frozen. I know crazy, but at disney, I loved throwing quiche into the microwave, put a muffin into the toaster and breakfast is ready. No walking 2 miles to the food court, waiting in line, carrying it back. I have cooked in the room but space is tight in a studio plus the dishes to wash by hand. The quiche worked great, but I don’t think I would do that this trip just because air temps will be warmer.