Shortened monorail hours during the month of March

Disney says monorail service from the Ticket and Transportation Center and Magic Kingdom-area resorts on the monorail line (Grand Floridian, Polynesian, Contemporary) to the Magic Kingdom won’t be available from 11:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. for most days in March, except for a few Sundays.
Bus and boat service will still be available. The Epcot monorail line won’t be affected.

Read more: Disney Announces Temporary Daytime Monorail Closures - Theme Parks News Story - WESH Orlando

from WESH Orlando NBC 2

sorry for the multiple posts.

Right, I’d forgotten how close to the beam the construction of the GF DVC villas is.
They’d never get much work done with cranes and what not if they had to stop every time a train was coming by.

Great… we’ll be staying at the Poly in March. :glare:

We consider the monorail a huge benefit and is one of the main reasons we chose to stay there… and now it’s going to be closed when we’re there. :pinch: What an inconvenience.

At least they’ll still have the boats running.

Now I’m wondering if I should request one of the longhouses closer to TTC…

[QUOTE=LittleMissMagic;1103564]

Now I’m wondering if I should request one of the longhouses closer to TTC…[/QUOTE]

It really shouldn’t be much of an inconvenience overall.
Going to MK you’ll have the launch and non stop service to the MK main gate. Return service is one stop, but even so, you’ll usually tie the monorail and as often as not, beat it.
Going to all other destinations except Epcot won’t change. You’ll have normal bus service all day long to AK, DHS, DTD, and the waterparks.
So the only time you’ll need to walk to the TTC is when you need to grab the monorail to Epcot. Now, how many times do you expect to be traveling between Epcot and the Poly each day?
It is also very likely that Disney Transport will just add a special route to connect the monorail resorts with Epcot because only the Poly is walking distance to the TTC, and then only if you’re capable of transporting yourself from the Poly to the TTC.

I say don’t sweat this detail. I think Disney’s got you covered.

So both lines to the MK are not stopped during this period?

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1103610]

I say don’t sweat this detail. I think Disney’s got you covered.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, yeah - I thought about it yesterday… I ended up on that “other” board, and everyone was freaking the heck out. Then I realized… it doesn’t really affect us at all.

We’ll be going to MK and Epcot in the morning before 11:30. We can easily walk to TTC to catch the monorail to Epcot if necessary. No big deal. And they probably [most definitely] will add a bus service from the monorail resorts to Epcot…

And the only thing I was really worried about it affecting was our dinner ADR at Chef Mickey’s… but it’s at 7:45, so I think we’ll be good!

I was worried because they are closing them during the main part of the day… but the I realized that it’s actually really smart to do it that way because “rush hour” for transportation is when the parks are opening and when the parks are closing.

It’s a little annoying to be staying at a monorail resort when the monorail isn’t working (especially when your second choice was Fort Wilderness which also has a boat system to MK), but I don’t think it will be that big of a deal.

No, both the express and resort lines will need to be stopped during this time period daily.
There will be construction equipment operating in close proximity to the beams and pylons, so operating the trains is pretty much out.

However, if they are smart, they will simply park the MK monorails in stations during the day rather than send them all back to the shed and then reloading the beams later.

[QUOTE=LittleMissMagic;1103564]Great… we’ll be staying at the Poly in March. :glare:

We consider the monorail a huge benefit and is one of the main reasons we chose to stay there… and now it’s going to be closed when we’re there. :pinch: What an inconvenience.

Now I’m wondering if I should request one of the longhouses closer to TTC…[/QUOTE]

We stayed in the Rarotonga building and it was a really good location. It was just off the Ceremonial House, close to the pool and just a few minutes walk to the TTC and bus stop.

Last time we stayed at the WL and we had a very early breakfast at 'OHana. We decided to take a taxi over instead of waiting on transportation. The drive took about 5 minutes and cost about $5 before tip. It was well worth it for and early ADR. I would consider a taxi for your early Chef Mickeys.