Should I buy DVC?

Hello fellow MBers! After getting home from my fabulous vacation (I promise to start my TR soon!) I am contemplating buying DVC, BUT…I have many questions. I know I can count on all of you to give me great answers, so here goes…

1. How many points did you initially purchase? Does that now seem like enough or too little?

2. Have you ever traded your points for other time shares in other states/countries? How was that experience?

3. Any regrets now that you have purchased?

4. How did you choose your home resort?

5. Are you able to make reservations at other resorts easily or do you find the resorts that are not your home resorts are booked for when you want it?

6. Are there any other single parent MBers that have purchased DVC?

7. Any other advice/tips/suggestions you can offer would be GREATLY appreciated!

I’m seriously considering it, but nervous about the $$. I know that one day I would like to see more of the world than Disney, so I am very interested in those of you that have used your points to see other places. Thanks everyone!

1. How many points did you initially purchase? Does that now seem like enough or too little?
    I bought 200 to start. I now have a lot more. You can add more later as little as 25 cash or 50 financed.

2. Have you ever traded your points for other time shares in other states/countries? How was that experience?
    I’ve traded other timeshares. It was hit and miss. People WANT Disney. Location, location, location. I’ve rented to cover several non DCL cruises.

3. Any regrets now that you have purchased?
    That I didn’t do it sooner.

4. How did you choose your home resort?
    First was what they were selling (SSR.) Since I’ve picked for location (BLT) & best deal (VGC.)

5. Are you able to make reservations at other resorts easily or do you find the resorts that are not your home resorts are booked for when you want it?
    Depands on when. You always have 4 month priority window at youe home resort. MOST of the time I’ve been able to find a DVC resort when I wanted to travel even last minute. But that won’t always be the case.

6. Are there any other single parent MBers that have purchased DVC?

7. Any other advice/tips/suggestions you can offer would be GREATLY appreciated!
    How about a great deal. If you decide to take the plunge, and let me give you a referral to my guide and want to transfer point back to me for your sept trip I’ll refund your rental.

1. We purchased 160 points. There was an offer that we could have purchased only 100, which is what I was leaning towards, but dh said no, that I would regret it, so told me to go with 160. Glad he did. I’m able to get two trips out a year with the 160, one with my Mom and Sister (was at Disney the same time as you) and then another with my dh and boys. To tell you the truth, I would like to add on another 50, which would put me into a little bit better comfort zone (as far as not being limited to value season).

2. Haven’t used them anywhere but Disney so far. At this stage of my life, really not looking into going other places. But, I do know we will be using those points for both my boys honeymoons in the far future.

3. Only regret I have is that I didn’t do this sooner. Could have used all the funds in past vacations to have this thing paid off by now.

4. We chose BLT, even though AKV is my favorite place in the world. Reason being, as with every big purchase, we were a little bit nervous about if something happened and we would have to sell. We thought seeing it was smaller and location, location, location, we would have a little less troubles selling it. Also, the maintenance fee is less than all the other dvc resorts.

5. I have never had a problem booking the room that I wanted at AKL at the 7 month window, seeing the number of rooms they have. Not sure if it would be the same for smaller resorts. I haven’t tried.

DVC has fit our family very well. I have nothing but great things to say about it. Hopefully other MB’ers will be able to help assist you with your decision and you are able to enjoy it also.

We were sort of dumb when we bought. I thought I had read stuff. But if you don’t know where to look for info, you don’t know what you didn’t read. We bought 200 points at SSR. Didn’t know we could have bought somewhere else. (now we would have loved BCV) We added on 100 points at BLT. If it wasn’t BLT, not sure if we would have added. We haven’t tried to do anything but disney. I wish I had picked a better use year. I didn’t know you could request or wait for a different yr. We’ve made use of DVC rooms for about 10 trips (I’m guessing) and only “had” to stay at SSR for one trip. We really love it, but I wouldn’t have done it if we had to finance the purchase.

We bought 160 points at SSR because we tend to go during the down period in Feb and we only needed 155 points for a two bedroom from Sunday to Thursday and we could pick up the cruise on Thurs through Sun like we like doing. We have a family of 6 and the year we bought it was the last year that Drake would be qualified as an infant and we also knew that we would be spending just as much money for a crammed two bedroom as we would for a deluxe DVC room. We chose SSR because it came with extra bonus points and it was much cheaper than the other points at the time. It was such a large resort that it was really affordable. I can stay at any resort and since we tend to stay during low crowd times we were not concerned about having to book well in advance. We stayed there once and LOVED IT!!! We loved it even more than AKL which is where we stayed the last time. The next time I want to stay in the treehouses.
Our ONLY regret so far is that the timing of it was rough. Ed was laid off only 3 months after buying it and when we tried to sell it a year after that there were so many out there that we gave up and kept it. It was worth it though because its still ours and we are thrilled!
As for using it in other locations, we have a resort to use for one week and we have to use it by the end of this summer. I am a little scared to call about it but I will soon. It was worth it because we were going to lose the points if we did not do something with them and it was either trade them or lose them. I had 2 years to use them.

just talked to a friend that bought resale dcv…she is VERY happy. I know there are some restrictions now, but I won’t use concierge level or do the disney adventure with points, have to look into the third thing. I’m weighing all my options

My DW and I love our membership. We went for 250 points and we usually can get in either2 trips or one long trip at a one bedroom trip. We choose AKV because I always wanted to stay at AKL and at the time the only other resort offered was SSR and it really did not impress us very well much. We have used our points pretty much for all DVC resorts and have stayed at SSR, AKL, and GCR in DL, also at the Disneyland hotel. In the next couple years we are planning on using some points to check out the new DVC in Hawaii. Also as far as getting into different resort so are hard to get into and others are easy, so always try and get one wait lists when offered.

I will never regret getting my membership and also wish I did not do it sooner. It seems like you are really leaning towards doing it so let me be one of the first to say “Welcome Home”

See that’s one of the things I had no idea about. Before I bought, I never knew about resales. With the new restrictions, I wouldn’t have a problem. We use most of the points now. When we get bored with disney, we have two grown children and two little grandchildren who will be happy to use our points. I doubt we would ever use the points outside of disney.

Hello fellow MBers! After getting home from my fabulous vacation (I promise to start my TR soon!) I am contemplating buying DVC, BUT…I have many questions. I know I can count on all of you to give me great answers, so here goes…

Initially bought 200; later added another 200. I should have listened to the advice I received and got all 400 at first.
    No. I have rented out points I couldn’t use w/no problems.3. Any regrets now that you have purchased?
    None - I wish I had done so earlier.
  3. How did you choose your home resort?
    It was the resort of the day.5. Are you able to make reservations at other resorts easily or do you find the resorts that are not your home resorts are booked for when you want it?
    I’d say 70/30 to the good. we have had some attempts blocked , but not a lot.
  4. Are there any other single parent MBers that have purchased DVC?
    n/a
  5. Any other advice/tips/suggestions you can offer would be GREATLY appreciated!
    If you have children, anticipate space/room requirements as they grow. When we started the boys would sleep on the pull out. Once they hit the teen years, this was not feasible.

Why is it better to buy all 400 up front?

The price was cheaper the first time I purchased. So I am paid more for the second 200.

I assume because as with anything the price goes up?

yepski …

Ahh, gotcha!

1. I honestly don’t remember…I think it was 150.

2. No, we use Disney for Disney. We have another timeshare that we use when we visit other places.

3. No regrets. We have 300 points now. I regret that we don’t have more.

4. We have two home resorts. We didn’t have a choice for our first purchase - we bought at Vero Beach because we thought that we might want to have beach holidays too. That’s still in my mind, but we haven’t done it yet. Our second purchase was SSR, because that was what was being sold at the time.

5. We’re probably different than most on this point. a) we can vacation just about whenever we want to, so that lifts a lot of restrictions. I realize that a lot of people can’t do that. b) we’ve never been obsessed with having one specific resort - we’ll stay at any DVC property that’s available. We think it’s fun to try new things. That being said - OKW is our favourite and fortunately it’s usually available - and the least points for the most room.

6. Not a single parent - but I would think that Disney is so perfect for single parents - no concerns about the quality of the resorts, wonderful transportation, everything you need with no hassles.

7. RESEARCH. Talk to the Disney reps. They’ll give you great advice - BUT - if you have a personal financial advisor get their advice on your own personal situation.

VERY helpful thread! We have rented points 3x now and love the DVC resorts so we are constantly talking about buying our own. We just do not want to finance and I’m still saving so we will see.

Just think that those 3x of renting could have bought a starter set of points…

Have been researching all day…looking at resale…more bang for my buck, and as a single parent I have to save any way I can!..still researching

1. How many points did you initially purchase? Does that now seem like enough or too little? We originally bought 260 and then added on another 50. We would love to have more but don’t have the time to use more. We can schedule 1-2 good trips a year, depending on when we go and who we take with us.

2. Have you ever traded your points for other time shares in other states/countries? How was that experience? We have only used at Disney because we have another time share we use for our other travels.

3. Any regrets now that you have purchased? Have never regretted for one minute this purchase. It was our first and has been the best and easiest to work with. I always recommend Disney as the first choice if anyone is considering timeshare purchase.

4. How did you choose your home resort? When we bought, Old Key West (formerly Disney’s Vacation Club Resort) was the only one…the original and was still under construction.

5. Are you able to make reservations at other resorts easily or do you find the resorts that are not your home resorts are booked for when you want it? We are not too choosey about which resort but usually wind up at OKW because of the larger rooms…and it was our first love. Only once have I tried for a different resort that I was unable to get it. Every other time, I have gotten the resort I wanted.

6. Are there any other single parent MBers that have purchased DVC? n/a

7. Any other advice/tips/suggestions you can offer would be GREATLY appreciated! I am quite sure we would not have taken the vacations we have through the years if we had not made this purchase. The flexibility of use is better than any other we have looked at.

We originally bought 200, when BLT had the initial sale for DVC members my DH and I were going to buy more points, but the economy started to tank and I didn’t want to spend the money. Right now at this time 200 points seem fine, but as our family grows, I think we will need more points, so we are still considering purchasing more points in the future.

1. Have you ever traded your points for other time shares in other states/countries? How was that experience?

We have only used our points at Disney.

1. Any regrets now that you have purchased?

We haven’t regretted our purchase, and since purchasing our points, we have had some wonderful vacations with our kids and grandkids. I feel that this is one of the best purchases my DH and I ever made.

1. How did you choose your home resort?

They were offering SSR at the time we bought, it was on the golf course, it seemed more relaxed than BW and BC. We thought it would be nicer to be away from everything.

1. Are you able to make reservations at other resorts easily or do you find the resorts that are not your home resorts are booked for when you want it?

Last November we booked at AKL, it’s really the only time I requested a different resort. We had no trouble getting a room there. If DH and I are going alone we’re not that fussy about which resort we stay at so when I call what ever they have opened is fine with us. If we are going with the whole family, it’s not that we are fussy as much as what would be most convenient and fun for the whole family.

1. Are there any other single parent MBers that have purchased DVC?

n/a

1. Any other advice/tips/suggestions you can offer would be GREATLY appreciated!

Without buying DVC my DH and I wouldn’t have been able to afford to take our children and grandchildren to Disney for vacation every other year. I am very glad my DH and I made this purchase, but I don’t think I would have made this purchase if we had to finance it. If you can afford this purchase I would say go for it, just remember your yearly dues are based on the points you own, and they do go up every year or so.

If you are only going to use the points in Disney, you should look into resale, most of the time you can get a better deal.

Hope this helps, and good luck in making you decision!