Should I buy DVC?

[QUOTE=Huakai;1072564]2. Have you ever traded your points for other time shares in other states/countries? How was that experience? We have only used at Disney because we have another time share we use for our other travels.
[/QUOTE]

Excellent point. You can buy a week to trade at through RCI literally for as low as $1 on ebay. There are annual dues to pay, plus RCI membership cost but…

It seems like one point is the same for most DVC owners - we buy DVC to use for WDW/DL vacations. After the financial I think that’s the question you have to ask yourself - is Disney where you want to vacation year after year? Is it becoming a family tradition? Is it something you want to hand down to your children? If the answer is “yes”, then DVC is a good choice. We live in “cottage” country - but for me having inherited the old cottage homestead was not a lot of fun - a lot of work and money - but not a lot of fun. We sold it several years ago. I look at DVC as our “Cottage” now.

Thanks for posting this. I am still on the fence on DVC. I’m still trying to get a good solid financial base first.

I’m thinking mostly WDW…for now. I also looked at several properties through RCI that you can use your points for and some really appeal to me…Wyoming, Louisana, Texas, and Gulf Coast. I’m sure I can find internet deals for those also and in the LONG run that may be a better savings. Almost all of my friends are telling me DON"T DO THIS…YOU WILL REGRET IT…followed by a story of so and so who had a time share and hated it, yearly fees too much, never used it, etc…

Of course my DISNEY friends think its a great idea:blush:(I think they are secretly hoping I won’t be able to go on vacation and they can rent my points :laugh:) My kids LOVE Disney, and so do I. I am thinking when/if they grow out of Disney we can use it to see the rest of the country.

So much to consider:blink::blink:

[QUOTE=ktcheck;1072643]I’m thinking mostly WDW…for now. I also looked at several properties through RCI that you can use your points for and some really appeal to me…Wyoming, Louisana, Texas, and Gulf Coast. I’m sure I can find internet deals for those also and in the LONG run that may be a better savings. Almost all of my friends are telling me DON"T DO THIS…YOU WILL REGRET IT…followed by a story of so and so who had a time share and hated it, yearly fees too much, never used it, etc…

Of course my DISNEY friends think its a great idea:blush:(I think they are secretly hoping I won’t be able to go on vacation and they can rent my points :laugh:) My kids LOVE Disney, and so do I. I am thinking when/if they grow out of Disney we can use it to see the rest of the country.

So much to consider:blink::blink:[/QUOTE]

Buying a timeshare outside of DVC is always an option. This is what we did. We like to travel a lot and Disney is included in our favorite destinations. As you can see, very few people regret their DVC purchases. If we wanted to do Disney and only Disney, DVC would be perfect. But, we would rather switch it up and go to different places. We still trade into Disney every couple of years and that works out great for us. Timeshare purchases outside of Disney are better for us because they’re a lot cheaper with lower maintenance fees. It’s not worth it unless we are going to Disney every year.

It’s a decision you’ll just have to make for yourself. There are all sorts of options out there. DVC or not, I’m sure you’ll be happy with your decision! :happy: I have never regretted any of my timeshare purchases.

Of course my DISNEY friends think its a great idea(I think they are secretly hoping I won’t be able to go on vacation and they can rent my points )

I have NO idea what you are talking about!!:wub::mickey::laugh:

And now for a different perspective:

This truly is the key. We bought 60 pts. at VB and then 60 more at OKW. Never stayed at either one but got some awesome vacations at BW and BCV. We bought when our kids were young. Now that we’re older, we still love WDW but don’t go as often. So, last fall, I sold our DVC and bought Wyndham time shares (on ebay, believe it or not). Since DVC has ROFR and Wyndham does not, I actually got back what I paid for DVC and paid next to nothing for Wyndham. I chose them over other timeshare companies because of Bonnet Creek, which is their resort and is on WDW property. And now we have much more flexibility re: vacation spots.

[QUOTE=ktcheck;1072643]. Almost all of my friends are telling me DON"T DO THIS…YOU WILL REGRET IT…followed by a story of so and so who had a time share and hated it, yearly fees too much, never used it, etc…
So much to consider:blink::blink:[/QUOTE]

OK - it’s been my experience that people who tell you stuff like this don’t really have any FIRST HAND experience. It’s always someone’s uncle’s daughter’s grandmother’s friend. It’s almost like a jealously that you might be getting something they don’t have. (We heard the same thing when we bought our timeshares.)

We have two timeshares. Disney and Interval - and neither have given us any reason to REGRET IT!:ohmy: It’s enable us to have wonderful trips to Europe, the Caribbean, and of course WDW. No one is saying to rush into anything - you are doing the right thing and researching and asking questions. Don’t listen to the naysayers - especially don’t listen to people who have no first-hand experience.

Another excellent timeshare is Marriott’s (I’m trying to convince dh about that one).