Should we get a golf cart or not?

We are thinking about staying at Ft.Wilderness in sept. My DH loves camping and I love disney so we decided to put the 2 together.
He is thinking about buying a 30 ft travel trailer by the end of march.
If we do go to ft.wilderness should we rent a golf cart? Is it worth it if we will be at the parks most of the day? I was thinking could be an ok idea to get one to drive to the marina and around but i plan on staying for 12 -13 days . What does everyone think?

We stayed for 10 days in 05 and golf carts were everywhere. We couldn’t afford it at the time, but we sure wanted one.

It’s a big place. You have to take a bus just to get to the buses.

Out of 20 plus camping trips to Fort Wilderness, we only ever rented a golf cart twice and we didn’t even get it for our whole stay those times. I believe it is all personal preference though and if you get a preferred campsite, you are close enough to everything that I don’t think you really need it, but some people can’t seem to live without them. I don’t think it is really worth the extra cost though when there are so many better things at WDW you could be spending your money on.

If you plan a day with a lot of downtime hanging out at Fort Wilderness, I would recommend getting one that day, because it is nice to drive around all the camping loops to look at how people creatively decorate their RVs.

Get yourselves a couple of bikes and use them. This way you can enjoy going to the Wilderness lodge also. Just put a basket on them to carry things to and from the stores and pool. The cost of three day for the golf cart will pay for the bikes.

I was going to suggest bikes as well! We usually request preferred spots and are able to walk to the marina easily. Then we just hop on a FW bus if we want to go to the front where the park buses pick up. However on our last trip we decided we wouldn’t do preferred spots anymore and would just bring/rent bikes to get around.

Golf carts are so expensive, and there are SO many of them driving around now. We watched the water parade one night and there was a golf cart traffic jam afterwards as everyone tried to drive back to their spots.

Thanks all. I sure like the idea of saving the $500 that it would cost.

That’s exactly what I said when we were there. Think of all the cool character meals we can do if we don’t rent a golf cart.

I was just talking with my husband. He wants the golf cart. So if ddp is free i guess we are getting the cart. If its not free he better think of plan B. Perhaps half the trip.

For $500, I would be searching around for an old, clean used golf cart to purchase and just hall it with you with your camper!

Thats a great idea but im unsure if we can bring our own. Im going to have to call and ask in the morn. Worse case we just get it for some nights not the whole trip.

I remember seeing custom golf carts there.

Yep, you can bring your own. I have no idea if you have to pay some kind of fee for it though…

You can take your own and I would not do Ft Wilderness without one. It is well worth the money.

If you are staying at an actual campsite the DDP most likely will not be free as they were not included in all the past free DDP promotions. This is the #1 reason my parents have been staying in values the past few years instead of taking their RV.

Icalland spoke to a few cm’s. They said if it is offered its free with a ticket package.

Interesting… I asked a similar question and was given different info. :blink:

I just called again and was told it wouldnt be free. Now i wonder whats going on. I may have to get a manager on the phone

I have heard in the past that the free dining was not part of the deal if you were camping, not sure about the cabins.

Rather than renting a golf cart, have you thought about skates or roller blades. It has been years since we camped in FW, but I seem to remember that the loops were paved. We have a bike rack for 5 bikes, but with 6 of us I was thinking of taking my roller blades next trip to save space.

[QUOTE=Cincy;1016400]I have heard in the past that the free dining was not part of the deal if you were camping, not sure about the cabins.

Rather than renting a golf cart, have you thought about skates or roller blades. It has been years since we camped in FW, but I seem to remember that the loops were paved. We have a bike rack for 5 bikes, but with 6 of us I was thinking of taking my roller blades next trip to save space.[/QUOTE]
Yeah…i think Im stuck paying out of pocket foe meals. I hope i can get some kind of discount.
As for the skates good idea but my husband would die. He cant walk straight let alone skate :laugh: he is actually now looking to buy a used cheap one from craigslist or perhaps rent from an outside vendor.

You CAN bring your own golf cart!