Shuttle launch

There’s a shuttle launch scheduled for one of the last days of our trip and we’re thinking about driving over to see it. I’ve checked the official web site for how to get tickets and they aren’t available until weeks before the scheduled launch. If we can’t get tickets do people just drive over and find a place to park to watch it?

What should we expect? I’m sure traffic is awful, how long should we allow for travel? If we do happen to get tickets are we close enough to have an awesome view? I know we’ll be a good distance away and won’t even come close to seeing the launch pad. We’ve seen two launches from WDW and while very cool we really only saw the huge trail. Can we get close enough to see and hear more?

Help! We know nothing about trying to see this but with the shuttle program ending I think it would be a great thing for our 12 year old to see.

if you go to titusville, there is space view park. it’s pretty much the closest you can get without going to the space center. i haven’t seen a launch there personally as everytime i’ve tried, the launch got cancelled lol. but i would plan on getting there mad early as since the shuttle program is ending i am sure these last few launches as going to be packed.

I’m sure they are going to be packed. The launch is scheduled for about 8 am so I think we’ll be in for a long night if we decide to drive over and see it.

If not, get over to one of the hotel on Bay Lake, and look towards the Contemporary. It should take off overhead from there. We tried to watch one early one morning, and the view from the marina at the poly was gorgeous-just no launch, because it was cancelled… However- I would highly recommend that site if you are not driving…

I’m sure Doug will chime in here soon with some good advice- we’ve also tried to watch a launch that got delayed due to weather. Hope it works out for you!

I hope it does work out but we know there’s a good chance it won’t go up that day. We don’t have to change any plans for that day so if it’s scrapped so we’ll only be out the cost of the rental car for a day.

I was watching news coverage the night before the last launch. People were camping out over night at the parks around the cape (even the news crew). I heard there were people camped out on the side of the road as well.

Because there aren’t many of them left they are going to be very crowded.

I would contact the Kennedy Space Center about tickets and alternate viewing locations.

I live close enough that I can feel the Shuttle launches (rattles the house) and the last one lit up the sky like the sun was coming up early. We are going to get up early and drive over to see the next one.

I know the Shuttle is a big draw but don’t forget there are other rocket launches that happen at the cape. SpaceX will be launching their private rocket some time this spring. There are also other launches happening during most months.

The Shuttle is amazing. When I lived in South FL we could see it launch from the beach (about 200 miles south!). When I lived in Southwest FL we could hear the sonic bomb from the landing approach. In central FL you can hear and feel the rumble of the launch. If you can work it out you really need to experience it. At least see if Disney is allowing access to the Contemporary balcony that morning for resort guest (bring a portable radio as well).

We’ve seen two shuttle launches just by chance at WDW. The first one was at CBR watching from a car park ( got good clear photos), and the second was the John Glenn flight which we saw clearly from Blizzard Beach. At Blizzard Beach an announcement was made and everyone stood still and fairly quiet, it’s an awesome sight.

We watch the launch from Cocoa Beach right down on the oceanfront. Everyone at our condo complex goes down no matter the time of the launch as does everyone else along the beach. The traffic is pretty bad on the day of the launch the closer you get to the Space Center but you can get a great view and the traffic isn’t as congested if you drive over close to Disney’s Cruise terminal. These pictures are from the February launch.

Wow those photos are wonderful especially the centre one. How lucky are you to see this such alot of times- wonderful.

we watched the launch on april 5th from our balcony at the boardwalk…it was one of the most exciting moments of my life…i was especially glad thay my oldest son (6) was able to see it as well…

It is pretty darn impressive even from WDW when you consider that it’s 50 miles away!

wow… can’t beat that… that must have been nice to see…

We were in the AK Parking Lot one morning and saw one. It was totally amazing.

That would be cool to see it up close. Last May when we were there , They launched while we were at Typhoon Lagoon. Of course we had no idea and were wondering why everyone was looking behind us (away from the Lagoon) in the sky. We thought something was wrong (See what drinking and the sun will do???). We did get to see it (Very cool), once we found out and changed our shorts! :laugh:

Just be sure to check online(with that new iPhone-at least I think u got one!!) to make sure it isn’t cancelled. There was a launch scheduled last June when we were there and it got cancelled 3 times during our stay and we never got to see one!! So glad that I checked before I woke everyone up at 4 am!!!:laugh:

Don’t worry, that’s the one thing we’ll be checking all week. :laugh:

We have seen two launches from MK and both were amazing. I would love to see one close up.

[QUOTE=Disney62;1029307]We watch the launch from Cocoa Beach right down on the oceanfront. Everyone at our condo complex goes down no matter the time of the launch as does everyone else along the beach. The traffic is pretty bad on the day of the launch the closer you get to the Space Center but you can get a great view and the traffic isn’t as congested if you drive over close to Disney’s Cruise terminal. These pictures are from the February launch.
[/QUOTE]

Your pictures are amazing, what a view you have. We’ll have to see where we need to go if we can’t get tickets through the space center. I’m worried about traffic but we really do have all day if we need it.

[QUOTE=tigger;1029159]I was watching news coverage the night before the last launch. People were camping out over night at the parks around the cape (even the news crew). I heard there were people camped out on the side of the road as well.

Because there aren’t many of them left they are going to be very crowded.

I would contact the Kennedy Space Center about tickets and alternate viewing locations.

I live close enough that I can feel the Shuttle launches (rattles the house) and the last one lit up the sky like the sun was coming up early. We are going to get up early and drive over to see the next one.

I know the Shuttle is a big draw but don’t forget there are other rocket launches that happen at the cape. SpaceX will be launching their private rocket some time this spring. There are also other launches happening during most months.

The Shuttle is amazing. When I lived in South FL we could see it launch from the beach (about 200 miles south!). When I lived in Southwest FL we could hear the sonic bomb from the landing approach. In central FL you can hear and feel the rumble of the launch. If you can work it out you really need to experience it. At least see if Disney is allowing access to the Contemporary balcony that morning for resort guest (bring a portable radio as well).[/QUOTE]

Thanks for all the information. I really do think all the launches are going to be super crowded. The July launch is at about 8 am so we’ll have to get up really early or stay up all night.