Signature Restaurant Dress Codes Explained

One of the topics we always come back to at Mousebuzz is dress code for the signature restaurants.
I just got a mailing for a TIW event at Citrico’s and at the bottom is the acceptable dress code. This is the same minimum dress code for all of the signature restaurants.

With that we proudly present, your dinner (dress code).
[I][U]
Dress Code Guidelines:
Men: Khakis, slacks, jeans, dress shorts, collared shirts. Sport coats are optional.
Ladies: Capris, skirts, dresses, jeans, dress shorts.

Not permitted in dining room: Tank tops, swimwear, hats for gentleman, cut offs, or torn clothing. While T-shirts are now allowed, the policy remains that T-shirts with offensive language or graphics are not acceptable.[/U][/I]

Be our guest, be our guest, be our guest!

When they say dress shorts, they pretty much mean any walk shorts or cargo shorts. Most Columbia Sportswear shorts work really well.

Thanks for posting that. I have none of those booked for January, but am still intending to bring “nice” attire for dinners.

I tell you, they are not enforcing these dress codes. We went to LeCellier for dinner one night and there were three separate groups arriving while we were dining, showing up in blue jeans and ironically, screaming babies. First time I’ve gone to a signature restaurant, and probably the last. Did not like the idea of paying over $130+ for a meal while feeling like we were at McDonalds (I have a feeling free dining has something to do with this, as I truly think if they were paying for it, the meal may have been more special, thus finding a sitter and something better to wear…but that’s just an assumption.)

Ooopps, just reread what is acceptable, and jeans is listed. Very surprised by that.

[QUOTE=bethishooked;1122938]I tell you, they are not enforcing these dress codes. We went to LeCellier for dinner one night and there were three separate groups arriving while we were dining, showing up in blue jeans and ironically, screaming babies. First time I’ve gone to a signature restaurant, and probably the last. Did not like the idea of paying over $130+ for a meal while feeling like we were at McDonalds (I have a feeling free dining has something to do with this, as I truly think if they were paying for it, the meal may have been more special, thus finding a sitter and something better to wear…but that’s just an assumption.)

Ooopps, just reread what is acceptable, and jeans is listed. Very surprised by that.[/QUOTE]

I know that Disney World is for families and children, but I honestly believe that there should be certain times available for just adults. I have two honeymoons that I booked and we purposely chose later dining times to keep the romance. Remember I have a child and I am not being an ol fuddy duddy. I just think there should be some places left for anniversaries and honeymoons.

[QUOTE=bethishooked;1122938]I tell you, they are not enforcing these dress codes. We went to LeCellier for dinner one night and there were three separate groups arriving while we were dining, showing up in blue jeans and ironically, screaming babies. First time I’ve gone to a signature restaurant, and probably the last. Did not like the idea of paying over $130+ for a meal while feeling like we were at McDonalds (I have a feeling free dining has something to do with this, as I truly think if they were paying for it, the meal may have been more special, thus finding a sitter and something better to wear…but that’s just an assumption.)

Ooopps, just reread what is acceptable, and jeans is listed. Very surprised by that.[/QUOTE]

le Cellier is not a signature restaurant. Not that it should make much difference.
The screaming babies thing is never right. Even at Publix like I saw last week.
A woman was pushing a child that was seated in the shopping cart. The adult (I don’t know the relationship) seemed to be trying to shut out the kid’s screaming. The kid, was just wailing away and sounded like it was being murdered. There didn’t seem to be any reason for the kid being that upset.

But what do I know, I’ve never been a parent.

By the way Beth, how many people were in your party and was it lunch or dinner (before or after 4 PM)?

Dinner at Le Cellier is Signature, so I thought…

I also wanted to add that we ate at Jiko on Monday night for the first time. I noticed when we walked into the check in area there was a sign stating the dress guidelines. I did not notice this sign when we went to Cali grill this trip, but did notice a lot of the “I just came from the park” looks.

It really doesn’t bother me what other people wear, I just like to dress up a little for dinner.

And as for jeans… yes, they are acceptable and are becoming more acceptable as part of a dressier attire all over. I love jeans and think they can look much classier that a pair of khaki’s! Especially for the amount of $ people pay for nice looking jeans, I would hope they could wear them. I’m not talking about the ripped/bleached out style.

It was dinner, at 7:45pm, so it was the signature dining segment, as they recently changed LeCellier over to signature dining for dinner. Todd and I were celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary. I agree with Dana, I know Disney is for kids, but Disney is known to cover every type of personality, i.e resort theming, park rides, etc., so one would hope they would be able to do that for dining also. Not ever having been to a signature restaurant, I truly expected a much quieter, quaint setting and was willing to pay for that. But, lesson learned, it definitely was not worth the money.

[QUOTE=johnkimv;1122946]Dinner at Le Cellier is Signature, so I thought…

I also wanted to add that we ate at Jiko on Monday night for the first time. I noticed when we walked into the check in area there was a sign stating the dress guidelines. I did not notice this sign when we went to Cali grill this trip, but did notice a lot of the “I just came from the park” looks.

It really doesn’t bother me what other people wear, I just like to dress up a little for dinner.

And as for jeans… yes, they are acceptable and are becoming more acceptable as part of a dressier attire all over. I love jeans and think they can look much classier that a pair of khaki’s! Especially for the amount of $ people pay for nice looking jeans, I would hope they could wear them. I’m not talking about the ripped/bleached out style.[/QUOTE]

I have to agree. I like a man in jeans with a dress shirt - hate, hate khakis.

I’m guessing that LeCellier probably has more kids than other signature restaurants because it’s inside the park. Not to mention, the switch to signature was a recent change, and I believe Disney did this to get more dining credits out of people since they realized it was so popular, rather than to give the restaurant a dress code. In fact, Disney doesn’t even list a dress code on their website for LeCellier - Le Cellier Steakhouse | Epcot Dining & Restaurants | Walt Disney World Resort, while they do for other signature dining options, such as Jiko - Jiko - The Cooking Place | Animal Kingdom Lodge Dining & Restaurants | Walt Disney World Resort. The only signature restaurant inside the park to list a dress code is Bistro de Paris - Bistro de Paris | Walt Disney World Resort (The Brown Derby is also classified as ‘signature,’ but doesn’t have a dress code.)

I’d urge you to try other signature restaurants outside of the parks, such as Artist Point, Jiko, or Narcoosee’s.

Le Cellier is not signature.
What it is is a two tier price depending on lunch or dinner.
They charge two credits for dinner now mostly because they can. They also went to two credits as a method of making it easier to get a dinnertime reservation, largely because at one credit it was too popular for most people to even have a chance of getting a reservation.

(Except for this note, this post was not edited because I felt if I did, it would look like I tucked my tail and tried to cover up my mistake)

OK, before I get jumped, the signature list according to the dining plan brochure now includes Bistro and le Cellier.
They are now also listing Fulton’s and Wolfgang Puck Upstairs, which is a big change.
I guess Levy finally decided to rejoin those venues to the regular plan.

In fact, many DTD restaurants that have been missing since 2005 have finally rejoined.
Bongo’s
HoB
Portobello (which probably should be 2 credits if Fulton’s is)

plus Paradiso 37 and TREX, which opened after the plan started are participating now too.

I doubt the dress code is ever enforced very strictly. I say this because last December as my friends and I were having a wonderful dinner at Cali Grill with an awesome table, a family came in and by passed all the cast members as they walked right up to the table beside us loudly asking “Can we just sit where’er we want?” They were dressed in the finest Nascar fashion from the caps to t-shirts and ripped jeans. They were then swarmed by waiters directing them to the seats near the elevators to await a table. I was confused as to why they were allowed to come up to the restaurant without having proper attire. Now I have nothing against Nascar. Heck, I’m from West Virginia so I have lots of family members who are avid fans, but dining at Cali Grill it is not the place to show your loyalty to the sport.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1122956]OK, before I get jumped, the signature list according to the dining plan brochure now includes Bistro and le Cellier.
They are now also listing Fulton’s and Wolfgang Puck Upstairs, which is a big change.[/QUOTE]

Good thing you made the correction, because I was about to jump you! :laugh:

Yeah, I was surprised to see that, too. I never really considered Le Cellier a signature, despite the increase in dining credits. But apparently Disney does… kind of… (kind of because they haven’t given it the business casual dress code)

So if it’s now a Signature because it’s 2 credits does that mean CRT, Hoop-de, Aloha etc are too? You don’t have to answer that, i’m just being a smart arse :tongue:

[QUOTE=johnkimv;1122946]Dinner at Le Cellier is Signature, so I thought…

And as for jeans… yes, they are acceptable and are becoming more acceptable as part of a dressier attire all over. I love jeans and think they can look much classier that a pair of khaki’s! Especially for the amount of $ people pay for nice looking jeans, I would hope they could wear them. I’m not talking about the ripped/bleached out style.[/QUOTE]
I agree with you on the jeans. As long as they are not off the table from Sam’s Club… Besides, a heel and beautiful top will dress up most pants.

I have seen cut-offs and nasty looking t-shirts at Cali Grill and that bothered me a whole lot.

I have a feeling there is much to what Beth is thinking namely if they were paying for the meal, they would make more of an effort.

Dana, it’s always a good idea to make late dinner ressies. It’s just less stressful than having to leave a park in the middle of the fun and run to dress and go out to dinner. For us - the later the better

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1122956]OK, before I get jumped, the signature list according to the dining plan brochure now includes Bistro and le Cellier.
They are now also listing Fulton’s and Wolfgang Puck Upstairs, which is a big change.
I guess Levy finally decided to rejoin those venues to the regular plan.

In fact, many DTD restaurants that have been missing since 2005 have finally rejoined.
Bongo’s
HoB
Portobello (which probably should be 2 credits if Fulton’s is)

plus Paradiso 37 and TREX, which opened after the plan started are participating now too.[/QUOTE]
Sheesh Doug, that’s been changed since early this year. You usually are up on info like that. :ohmy:

[QUOTE=Dopey;1122984]I agree with you on the jeans. As long as they are not off the table from Sam’s Club… Besides, a heel and beautiful top will dress up most pants.

I have seen cut-offs and nasty looking t-shirts at Cali Grill and that bothered me a whole lot.

I have a feeling there is much to what Beth is thinking namely if they were paying for the meal, they would make more of an effort.

Dana, it’s always a good idea to make late dinner ressies. It’s just less stressful than having to leave a park in the middle of the fun and run to dress and go out to dinner. For us - the later the better[/QUOTE]

I usually go from the parks to dinner, so I will never ever have on a pair of heals, but if I have a nice dinner planned I wear a nicer outfit than the normal t-shirt and jeans. Usually this means a nice pair of jeans, kaki shorts and a nice shirt.

There are many beautiful styles of jeans out there now, so I have no objection to a nice pair with a nice top or shirt. Why people insist on coming to a nice restaurant wearing inappropriate clothing is beyond me. My sister calls it “snobbery in reverse”. Personally, (and we found this on our recent cruise too) I blame the restaurants - if you post a dress code - stick to it. If you are going to be so rude as to show up at say, the Yachtsman, in cut-offs and a rude t-shirt - then you should be turned away. Why should everyone else have to look at you? I realize that Disney is in the hospitality business and doesn’t want to insult their guests - but if that’s the case, then don’t post a dress code. It doesn’t take much to make a little bit of effort. A nice restaurant is a special treat for me - I want it to be a little “special”; including properly attired customers.

So …tu-tus are cool again? I knew the day would come around.