Situation...what would you do?

It’s financial crunch time. Since I had to live off of some of my WDW money while I was out of work and ended up getting denied unemployment (appeal pending), I may be in a bad position for my long vacation in August. I have a few options that I am considering if the appeal doesn’t go in my favor and just want to hear some opinions.

1. I could reschedule the trip entirely for October
  2. I could shave two days off and save about $600 between spending money and resort savings and keep the DDP.
  3. I could keep the 10 days trip and move to POP and lose the table plan and gain the counter plan for free. (savings of about $700) I will have to pay OOP for the tables I really want to do taking my savings down to about $400.

Thoughts…again this is all depending on my unemployment appeal decision. If that goes in my favor, I will recoup the money and all will stay as is.

I’d do #3. You need your trip now more than ever after all the stress you’ve been under, you’ll end up saving money, and I think Pop is great alternative. :happy:

I believe it is a little cooler and less crowded in October. If it would let you not have to worry about the money as much I would wait until October. I would make sure I could get off work in October first =)

Tough call, I like going off season myself so #1 would be the most appealing to me. However it means several more months of waiting.

I don’t think I would want to shorten my trip it would take me 4 days before I could even begin to really relax ( I tend to want to do EVERYTHING the first 4 days and then slow down toward the end of the trip )

I have never stayed at an economy before, but if you are more of a park person then a resort person I don’t know if it would make a big difference on the resort side, it is still WDW. For dining we have found all the little places that we can eat for less, in addition we are not big food people, a quick bite and back to the rides, so the dining plan is not a big deal to us. We do try to do one or two nice resturants, but it is not a must do.

-H

I vote for #2. If I remember correctly, you are staying at your favorite resort. Eight days is still a long time to be at Disney, and then you won’t have any regrets or anger about being forced not to stay at your favorite place. I remember one time, to save money, staying at CBR and not loving it. Kind of put a damper on things, as being at a resort we love is very important to our vacation plans. I’m thinking its important to you also.

Voting for plan 2 … YOU need this and NOW !!!
… Fingers crossed about the appeal …

Of the 3 options, I would pick switching to the Pop. I love the that resort and while I know you like to spend time at your resort as well as enjoy the parks, I think the savings will make up for it. The next option I would pick would be switching to October ~ you could make MNSSHP ~ but I would not shave days off your trip, especially since you are driving.

#3…stay at POP=More WDW!!

Hoping for an appeal win for you so all this becomes moot.

My only thought is don’t change to Pop. You love POFQ and you’ll miss it the whole time if you’re not there.

I say put it off until October…of course FL in August with the heat and crowds never appeals to me :slight_smile:

Putting it off would mean more time to wait but the stress of waiting for the appeal, etc. might not be so heavy with the timeline moved back a little. Hope it all goes in your favor.

I don’t think you should change to the Pop - you love POFQ so much - and the resort is important to you. Personally - I would move it to October - will that be ok for Sara? It really is only a few weeks later…October weather is nicer and crowds are lower. And you’ll have more time to save and plan. What’s a couple of weeks? Just more time to plan and anticipate!:happy: Also, your new employees might appreciate it more if you’re willing to hold off your holidays until October. So many people want time off in August - you might be helping them out by moving you vacation to October.

August is hot, humid, brutal sun, a high chance of afternoon rain everyday and high crowds. October is cooler, a little lower humidity, sun not as high in the sky, great evenings, you run a much better chance of a hurricane and lower crowd volume.

Never ever count on the money (that is one of my primary rules) and seeing that you don’t do Disney as often as you like I would go with postponing until Oct, get your money together, stay with your reservations (another rule if you are going to do something special don’t sacrifice if you don’t have to).

If the money thing is stressing you out make sure you check for new discounts at resorts. You might be able to get a deal closer to your date (I know you know this but I have to just put it out there).

I would move it to October…that way you still get everything that you wanted.

Hugs Dana!!! We went through this with my DH a couple of years ago and keep at the appeal. His was approved, but I know how frustrating it is.

I will say either way KEEP YOUR VACATION PLANS NO MATTER WHAT. You def. need this trip. I would say that October would be WAY cooler than August (here in the south the heat can be awful), BUT when I have ever went in October, I think everyone else has the same idea and it’s so crowded. I think most schools go back in August now, so you may have less crowd to deal with.

Having just stayed in a “Value” resort, I have to say that we were happy with ASM. Our rooms had been updated (from what I seen and heard) and we don’t spend alot of time in our rooms on vacation. So I vote quantity over quality, BUT I have never stayedin a Mod so what do I know?..lol But I do like the idea of more days at Disney.

Also Disney is one of the few vacation spots that I seem to not eat alot at (and believe me, I love to eat…lol). Even when DH and I spent our honeymoon there, I remember sharing entree’s and snacks. It just seems that we spend way more time enjoying the parks and walking that we don’t eat as much. So for me the dining plan just never “pays” for itself.

Hugs Dana!!! We went through this with my DH a couple of years ago and keep at the appeal. His was approved, but I know how frustrating it is.

I will say either way KEEP YOUR VACATION PLANS NO MATTER WHAT. You def. need this trip. I would say that October would be WAY cooler than August (here in the south the heat can be awful), BUT when I have ever went in October, I think everyone else has the same idea and it’s so crowded. I think most schools go back in August now, so you may have less crowd to deal with.

Having just stayed in a “Value” resort, I have to say that we were happy with ASM. Our rooms had been updated (from what I seen and heard) and we don’t spend alot of time in our rooms on vacation. So I vote quantity over quality, BUT I have never stayedin a Mod so what do I know?..lol But I do like the idea of more days at Disney.

Also Disney is one of the few vacations spots that I seem to not eat alot at (and believe me, I loved to eat…lol). Even when DH and I spent our honeymoon there, I remember sharing entree’s and snacks. It just seems that we spend way more time enjoying the parks and walking that we don’t eat as much. So for me the dining plan just never “pays” for itself.

I would just say the most important thing is to go and enjoy yourself. Hugs and hope everything works out for you!!!

Just curious - why is it under appeal. I know some companies “BLANKET DENY” unemployment inquiries and leave it up to the employee to fight it…Just wondering and being nosey - sorry. I deal with unemployment ALL the time and was just a little too curious.

Dana I’m going with October too- you love POFQ and you so need a good break after all this stress. I do hope the employment tribunal goes your way- it should by by all accounts so I’m keeping all crossed for you.

I vote 4 October

-October is much cooler, but it’s much much more crowded with F&W and MNNSHP. That month should no longer be considered off season.
-August is much hotter, but the crowds are much less.
-A Mod is better than a Value, ONLY if you use it. Other than to grab a meal how much time do you really spend using resort facilities.
-By getting free QSDDP and paying OOP for those must have TS’s, what is the cost difference vs upgrading your room or dining plan.

Personally my fav time of year to go is in October, but that’s our anniversary and where we spent our honeymoon so it’s personal to us. But we can’t go again until we’re emptynesters. However, in your case I would suggest keeping your August plans and knocking 2 days off, or splitting your stay between the 2 resorts or doing Pop the full time.

Gosh, every time we’ve been in October it’s been very low crowds…I guess everyone has different experiences. Here’s the best reason of all - I am going in October.:closedeye oh yes. Just trying to figure out the dates.

Excuse me - but was that a TIGGER on the premises?