Sixty kids and four days=fun

I just got back from another high school band trip. We went four years ago and it rained almost every minute of that trip. This time we had great weather. Tropical storm Colin rolled out just as we arrived.

We spent a day at Blizzard Beach and one day at Magic Kingdom, most of a day at Epcot, and split a day between Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios. I would have loved more time so we could slow down a little but we did as much as we could.

The kids got to perform one morning and do a workshop one afternoon. They really enjoyed the workshop.

I’m exhausted. Most nights I got to bed about 1 am but one night it was 2 am before I got my floor settled in. Then I had to be up and ready so I could get the my floor up and moving in the morning. After an over night bus ride to start the trip I was exhausted.

One of our buses had a lot of issues, the main one was no air conditioning on the way down. Those kids were miserable and we had to stop a lot to let them off to cool off. The company claimed it was fixed on our second day but all that seemed to happen was the overhead lights and TVs filled with water and shorted out. It took hours and hours of phone calls and various threats before we got a replacement for the trip home. We left at 11:30 pm and the bus arrived just before that. I’m still not sure our bus company has agreed to pay for the replacement bus.

Other than the bus issue it was a great trip and the kids had a blast.

Now I need to start getting ready for our family trip next month.

OH MY, I would need to rest for a month.

Just getting there would have done me in.

But as you said, family trip with little Nate…opps time travel there…with almost adult Nate…gasp.

It sounds like you had a good trip Steph. It also sounds like you need a long vacation from the vacation.

That is so true. I was exhausted when I got home. Every time I sat down I fell a sleep. I don’t nap-ever and last week I couldn’t stop falling asleep. I finally feel like I’m caught up. I’m not sure if I can go back in four year (that’s how often the band goes) I’m getting too old for this. However, the kids made it worth it, I had a super group and I’m glad I went.

That is so true. I was exhausted when I got home. Every time I sat down I fell a sleep. I don’t nap-ever and last week I couldn’t stop falling asleep. I finally feel like I’m caught up. I’m not sure if I can go back in four year (that’s how often the band goes) I’m getting too old for this. However, the kids made it worth it, I had a super group and I’m glad I went.

[QUOTE=jo-jo;1919095627]OH MY, I would need to rest for a month.

Just getting there would have done me in.

But as you said, family trip with little Nate…opps time travel there…with almost adult Nate…gasp.[/QUOTE]

It took me a week to feel like I was caught up on sleep. I didn’t sleep much more than a few hours on the way to or from and not a lot while we were there. It’s a long trip. We aren’t open to close park people, we like to take a break every afternoon. On our Magic Kingdom day we got to the park at 8 am for rope drop and left at 11:45 that night. That’s a long day! We would never do that–Maybe 25 years ago but not now.

You’re right, Nate is an adult now. He turned 18 a few weeks ago. It’s hard to believe. I’m excited to go back with him. We have 4 days together before Mike flies down to join us.

I know what you mean about the full open to close at the park. We used to do that too but we are getting too old for that any more. As much as we hate to admit it, we either start late or end early.

We do both… we get there late (around 10) and call it quits early (around 6) for dinner and call it a night. Sometimes well will go back for fireworks, but that is rare.

It’s nice to be able to slow down because we know we’re coming back. With a group of kids who most won’t be back any time soon so we tried to squeeze in as much as we can in a short time. It was fun but way too much work.