Slight dilemma....talk me down. :)

Hi everyone!

So here is the deal:
Let me preface this by saying that I am NOT a very good flier. I do it, but truly hate it. White knuckle syndrome 100%, and the anxiety is quite uncomfortable.

Anyhow, to fly from NY to Orlando, is about two 1/2 hours. Definitely doable, I’ve done it plenty before.

So here’s the dilemma.

Back in 2008, my fiance and I joined DVC, hoping to use it for our honeymoon.
At the time, we were thinking of trading into RCI to go to mexico, or Hawaii, Aruba etc.
As time has progressed, we have realized just how much we LOVE disney and all it has to offer, and so have opted to go on a two week honeymoon in december, and get the best use of our points.
BUT there is still this SMALL part of me that keeps thinking that we “should” go somewher else…someplace warm & tropical…So, warm & tropical, but possibly get bored after 4 days?? OR two whole weeks in our favorite place, resort hopping?? Right now we are booked for Bay lake towers, Beach club, and the Polynesian. Thoughts?? Thank you if you read this!!! :wub:

Oh you must go with your heart- if Disney is, for both of you, your great love, then the decision is already made.
I know what you mean by you feel that you ‘should’ do the traditional honeymoon thing, but really that is just to appease other people.
Follow your heart-

Oh and I’m sorry you hate flying so much- that must be difficult.

[QUOTE=dixie;1018525]Oh you must go with your heart- if Disney is, for both of you, your great love, then the decision is already made.
I know what you mean by you feel that you ‘should’ do the traditional honeymoon thing, but really that is just to appease other people.
Follow your heart- [/QUOTE]

Couldn’t have said it better myself. Go to where you love it. Your honeymoon memories will be that much more special.

I, too, am not a good flyer. But, I have discovered if I take a Dramamine (motion sickness pill) 1/2 hour before flight, it relaxes me enough to calm my nerves. Two and a half hours later, when arriving in Florida, my relax state goes away, because of the excitement of where I’m at, and I’m ready to go!

Thank you for your replies…

I have recently discovered Xannax for flying…the doc gives me a LOW dosage… .25Mg.

I take on a 1/2 hour before my flight, and I’'m good to go…

BUT, I hate taking pills, therefore, I don’t always take it when I fly… I know, I am a tortured mind, hence the anxiety :laugh:

We went to Disney for our honeymoon & last year when we went back…10 years later with our DD, we could say ‘remember 10 years ago when we did this same thing’…and we were able to share some of those memories with DD. It wasnt the ‘traditional’ honeymoon, but it was magical!

[QUOTE=BLTLDZ;1018528]Thank you for your replies…

I have recently discovered Xannax for flying…the doc gives me a LOW dosage… .25Mg.

I take on a 1/2 hour before my flight, and I’'m good to go…

BUT, I hate taking pills, therefore, I don’t always take it when I fly… I know, I am a tortured mind, hence the anxiety :laugh:[/QUOTE]

I TOTALY get that! I get anxiety over taking the pills for the anxiety! Talk about tortured:laugh:

Go to the World…if you’re taking two weeks, you will have more than enough time to “do Disney” and have plenty of relaxation.
I’m in the Xanax club, but it’s gotten to the point where even 1.5mg doesn’t do a whole lot. When I first started taking it, I would fall asleep almost immediately and wake up as we were landing. Now…I don’t get very much calming in spite of the dosage. I think I need anesthesia.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:
I was prescribed the Xanax .25 one time too…I only had like 10 pills, only had to use half of them…was so afraid of getting addicted to them and flushed the rest…sometimes i wish i wouldnt have:huh:

I confess to being a recent convert. :redface:

My sister went to WDW for her honeymoon 30 years again and I thought they were crazy.

We (DH and DD- 8 at the time) went in 2008 for what we considered to be our once in a life time trip. We thought it was so expensive and that when you did it once that was enough.

We were back in 2009 and are going for 14 days this August. In fact we are trying to figure out how to join DVC.

My niece is going for her honeymoon this October and I think I may be as excited as she is.

If you heart says Disney go to Disney!:wub:

I’m another vote for disney, lots more to do there so you will never get bored, and yet since you have 2 weeks you could take lots of time to just relax :slight_smile:

I was thinking, seeing you have two weeks, and you don’t like flying, why don’t you drive to Disney. You have plenty of time to get there, and then that would be one less anxious thing you have to worry about during your wedding prep.

Honestly, I have thought of it…but it is a LONG drive…Future hubby won’t go for it…He would rather fly…BUt if I really push it, he would do it…We will see. It i s such a short flight though… :eek:

We aren’t “lay on the beach people” either - so I know where you’re coming from. I say - do WDW. Would the budget allow a car rental? If you have a car, you can take a break from Disney and maybe see more of Florida - go down to the Keys, or to the beach for the day. Or, have you considered driving to Florida? It might be fun. Before you say “DRIVE TO FLORIDA ARE YOU NUTS???”, we use to do it often - from Canada - with two kids…and we loved it. Maybe your fiance could be talked into it.

I hate to tell you but Hawaii is A LOT LONGER flight. :laugh: It’s 11 hours from Norfolk so NY would be about the same.

There will be lot of time for other trips. In a couple of years you will be able to use your DVC points to stay in Hawaii. It will be like staying at the Poly only a longer flight to get there!

Have you considered breaking the Dec trip up? You can spend some time at WDW and take a 3, 4 or 7 day cruise. Or how about a few days at DVC Vero Beach?

WDW offers all! People who care and treat you good, great restaurants, relaxing atmosphere, sooooft beds, many pools, beaches, shopping, golf, tennis, jogging, etc. Lunch in Canada, dinner in France. Next day lunch in Germany and dinner on top of the Comtemporary resort. She gripes a little, then you can slip out to the mall for a while. Try the Treehouse Villas, they are a resort within a resort. For me that beats boredom in one place for two weeks!

[QUOTE=rlcarmichael;1018640]I hate to tell you but Hawaii is A LOT LONGER flight. :laugh: It’s 11 hours from Norfolk so NY would be about the same.

There will be lot of time for other trips. In a couple of years you will be able to use your DVC points to stay in Hawaii. It will be like staying at the Poly only a longer flight to get there!

Have you considered breaking the Dec trip up? You can spend some time at WDW and take a 3, 4 or 7 day cruise. Or how about a few days at DVC Vero Beach?[/QUOTE]

That’s what I was thinking. If you do the cruise then you may feel like you did some of the “honeymoon” stuff.
Or you can go to the spa at SSR, take a firework cruise at MK or Epcot, or a carriage ride to make it more special. We went for my honeymoon and its been 15 years and we wouldn’t change a thing. We talk about how it was perfect for us.

Go with your heart!

I’m a little confused: won’t there be flying involved in either vacation choice?

As much as I love Disney, I’d have to think that 2 weeks there could get a little stale too. You’d have to be creative to keep it interesting every day.

I’m going to take the opposing view and say I’d go for a cruise that would take me to different places. To me, there’s nothing boring about cruising or tropical vacations. but clearly it’s a personal choice.