Small World remake article

This article was posted on the AT&T homepage today. Has anyone seen it? I thought it was interesting…

[B]Fact meets fantasy in Disney ‘Small World’ remake[/B]
Published: 2/5/09, 12:06 PM EDT
By GILLIAN FLACCUS

link to the article: AT&T

"More than 40 years after the “It’s A Small World” ride opened to promote world peace and showcase the cultures of the world, Disney is populating one of its most beloved attractions with its own trademark vision of the planet: Aladdin, Nemo, Ariel and more than two dozen cartoon characters plucked from its movies.

Disney says it supplemented the human dolls with make-believe figures to keep the aging ride appealing to younger generations and give it a new twist. Yet some angry fans see an unabashed marketing ploy that trashes the pacifist message at the heart of the “Happiest Cruise That Ever Sailed the World” and ruins one of the few rides that remained unchanged since the days of Walt Disney."

I read it this morning on Yahoo.

[QUOTE=PrincessJill;931692]This article was posted on the AT&T homepage today. Has anyone seen it? I thought it was interesting…

Fact meets fantasy in Disney ‘Small World’ remake
Published: 2/5/09, 12:06 PM EDT
By GILLIAN FLACCUS

link to the article: AT&T

"More than 40 years after the “It’s A Small World” ride opened to promote world peace and showcase the cultures of the world, Disney is populating one of its most beloved attractions with its own trademark vision of the planet: Aladdin, Nemo, Ariel and more than two dozen cartoon characters plucked from its movies.

Disney says it supplemented the human dolls with make-believe figures to keep the aging ride appealing to younger generations and give it a new twist. Yet some angry fans see an unabashed marketing ploy that trashes the pacifist message at the heart of the “Happiest Cruise That Ever Sailed the World” and ruins one of the few rides that remained unchanged since the days of Walt Disney."[/QUOTE]

I just read an article about this on MSN, and it really bothers me that they’ve done this to Small World. It’s definitely not up there in my list of favorite rides at the parks, but it IS a classic, and a symbol of hope for world peace. There’s enough characters in most of the other attractions in the park. I don’t think this was necessary, and I think it cheapens the over-all purpose of the ride. My daughter LOVES Small World, and eventually, when she FINALLY gets to Disneyland, she’ll probably like the addition of the characters. She fell in love with the ride at WDW, and whenever we go to the Magic Kindgom, we have to ride it, like 6 times over our whole vacation! LOL! And I do agree with the opinion that yet again, Disney felt it needed to amp up it’s marketing with the addition of characters. What a bummer…:angry:

Are they doing this to both DL and WDW? I don’t like this idea. But, Disney does have to stick characters into everything these days.

Next thing you know, they will repaint the teacups to have Alice and the Mad Hatter on them (although this would not be as bad as plugging characters into IASW)

I like the idea. I think this is being done because of the success of Pirates of the Caribbean upgrade. Ramp it up Disney!

I would also like to see them incorporate the dance of the seven veils, some more hulla mommas, and that chick from Morocco who does the belly dance.

If you go over to MiceAge.com - A different look at Disney…, they have an article with pictures of all the new interior/exterior of DLRs version along with a description, the new character dolls do fit in pretty nicely with the existing dolls. I dont think the change was as bad as all the hype made it sound like it was, but thats just me.

Wuhhhhhhhh???

It’s a small world symbolizes world peace and how we aren’t really as different as we think!!! How will Disney characters add to this?

I know I probably didn’t understand the deeper meaning when I was a child. But I think that adding Disney characters will only distract children from the main message… not to mention ruin the classic ride! (Though, they probably will be able to fit the characters into the attraction… I just hope they do it minimally. I don’t see how the teenage Disney characters are going to fit in with the it’s a small world children.)

I really hope they change their minds on this. It’s a small world was my favorite MK attraction as a child. They’ve already ruined my favorite childhood Epcot attraction.

Oh! Thanks for the link!

This is much better than I’d been imagining (for some reason, I was thinking large, animated figures :laugh:). Pretty cute.

Doesn’t do much for me, but I think this probably will enhance the experience for children. It’s not like the characters scream Disney.

I like it.

Thanks so much for posting this link. When I first read the article, I was admittedly horrified - it sounded like a cheesy way to cram more Disney characters into a ride that didn’t need it. I pictured their animated versions pasted up on the walls or something…

I am very pleasantly surprised at what was shown in the pictures from your link! The characters in the Small World/Mary Blair style are so cute and fit so well. I had thought the characters would be intrusive and harsh, but they aren’t at all.

Mostly, I was concerned with what many others including people in the article have said - the ride was about different cultures and, in my opinion, opening children’s eyes to the fact that no matter what we look like, what we believe, etc. that we all are in the world together and really aren’t that different. I thought adding the characters would really take away from this and possibly even change the message entirely. But actually I think it may help children associate the characters they’ve seen so many times in movies with the different cultures they come from, and therefore better understand things. Even though I’m not crazy about the look of the America section at the end, I think this will help children understand the whole concept of cultures too - it shows them their own familiar culture alongside ones they may never have seen before, and hopefully raises a little curiosity and understanding in the process.

Just my humble opinion. :blush:

[QUOTE=PrincessJill;931809]Thanks so much for posting this link. When I first read the article, I was admittedly horrified - it sounded like a cheesy way to cram more Disney characters into a ride that didn’t need it. I pictured their animated versions pasted up on the walls or something…

I am very pleasantly surprised at what was shown in the pictures from your link! The characters in the Small World/Mary Blair style are so cute and fit so well. I had thought the characters would be intrusive and harsh, but they aren’t at all.

Mostly, I was concerned with what many others including people in the article have said - the ride was about different cultures and, in my opinion, opening children’s eyes to the fact that no matter what we look like, what we believe, etc. that we all are in the world together and really aren’t that different. I thought adding the characters would really take away from this and possibly even change the message entirely. But actually I think it may help children associate the characters they’ve seen so many times in movies with the different cultures they come from, and therefore better understand things. Even though I’m not crazy about the look of the America section at the end, I think this will help children understand the whole concept of cultures too - it shows them their own familiar culture alongside ones they may never have seen before, and hopefully raises a little curiosity and understanding in the process.

Just my humble opinion. :blush:[/QUOTE]
So True, nicely put! - and for anyone who may not be able to easily find the link at the top of the homepage, here is a direct link to the article containing the pictures and description! Disneyland’s New Small World - A Different Look At Disney

I was worried about them doing this, but now that I see it. I welcome the addition. I think they did a great job with it.

I think Stephen Pastis (Pearls Before Swine) said it best… :cool:

All the little dolls should have targets painted on them. :pinch:

We should be given guns and unlimited ammo… :wub:

I, for one, would have much more fun on that ride… :pirate:

I do like the new additions. After seeing the pictures I’ve decided they did the right thing. Looking forward to riding it again. I went to You Tube and found where someone posted “It’s a small world part 1”. It was posted about six hours ago and shows the new look.:happy: Sorry, but I don’t know how to post a link here.:blush:

[QUOTE=Experiment6-2-6;931865]I think Stephen Pastis (Pearls Before Swine) said it best… :cool:

I, for one, would have much more fun on that ride… :pirate:[/QUOTE]

:laugh: I love Pearls Before Swine. I remember that strip!

It would be like a Buzz Lightyear ride, eh?

[QUOTE=Experiment6-2-6;931865]I think Stephen Pastis (Pearls Before Swine) said it best… :cool:

I, for one, would have much more fun on that ride… :pirate:[/QUOTE]

… Or add more dancing dollies

I also jumped to the conclusion that the addition of Disney characters would spoil IASW- and yet after seeing the photos on Miceage I have to agree the inclusion has been so well done in keeping with the style of the other dolls it really looks very good.

Here is a video from Youtube YouTube - “it’s a small world” REOPENS AT DISNEYLAND

Thanks for the post, I watched a version of the video, not the one you posted because I had watched it the other day from a Disney site, and to be honest, it didnt seem all that bad, the only room I absolutely hate is the America scene, it fits in in no way and doesnt match the IASW theme…thats the real area where I think Disney went totally wrong - blegh!

I totally agree about the America scene. It looks like it was just tacked on at the end. (which, I guess, it kind of was…) There was a lot of America that they could have included… and cornfields, a Hollywood sign, and Jessie and Woody just seems to be a half-hearted representation…

lol on the targets, those sound real disney! I think the new iase is fab! :slight_smile: