So tell me all about Saratoga Springs

So we are staying at Saratoga Springs for our Bday surprise trip next month. What should I expect? I have never been there other than on the boat route to and from OKW to DTD.

I just got done looking at the pictures and this place is gorgeous…tell me EVERYTHING!

It’s huge and spread out. Which also makes it quiet.

The counter service place is one of the best at WDW imho. Rooms are nice sized and most view park, golf course or canal.

You’ll love it there.

[QUOTE=rlcarmichael;920638]It’s huge and spread out. Which also makes it quiet.

The counter service place is one of the best at WDW imho. Rooms are nice sized and most view park, golf course or canal.

You’ll love it there.[/QUOTE]

That’s awesome about the CS place. DD and I are going to be on the quick service DDP. I just got done peeking at the options and there is quite a bit of variety. Thanks for your input.

My last trip was to SS.

The Good: Atractive grounds, Boat to DTD, quiet pools, Turf Club restaurant. Walk to DTD from some areas.

The Bad: Walk to the central area could be super long, 5 bus stops on the grounds, Rooms are ordinary, average food court.

The Ugly: Main pool’s color is pea green, too small and crowded.

I would not stay there again if given a choice. Way better than values, but our studio was little better than the moderates.

Quick service, we went to the Wolfgang Puck Cafe’s in DTD for great counter meals!

We stayed at SSR just this past Dec. The grounds are beautiful. I wasn’t overly impressed by the CM’s. We had a rental car so I can’t tell you about the transportation. We had a two bedroom which was nice. My daughter has a photo album if you go to her page WDW92. She doesn’t have them all in there so if you’d like ones of the pool, PM me. Please, please make sure you ask for the Springs section. Wishy gave me this advice and it was the best! We were just steps from the main hub to the pool and eateries. Counter service was good but the store lacks variety in my opinion. And if you can, try the Turf Club. Very Good!! If I think of anything else, I will PM you. You are on your way girl!!

So, just what I told you on the phone.:happy:

We enjoy SSR. It’s very shiny & new. The studios are well laid-out - plenty of room for 2. Our new favourite section is the Grandstand - because it’s the newest, overlooks the golf course and the treehouses, is very quiet, the quiet pool is very nice and it’s a quick walk to the Lobby. And it’s the first bus stop. :happy: If you like to spend time at the Marketplace (which I know you do), try for Congress Park (haven’t I told you this already?:laugh:) which is 5 minutes to the MP along a nice walk by the river. The Turf Club is a comfortable, “good food” restaurant - very relaxing. Personally we like the Artist’s Palette very much - it’s not like the regular food courts - but you can order flatbreads, a daily special, salads etc. My only gripe with it is that there aren’t enough cashiers.

I am SO excited for you!!!

[QUOTE=bribren;920640]My last trip was to SS.

The Good: Atractive grounds, Boat to DTD, quiet pools, Turf Club restaurant. Walk to DTD from some areas.

The Bad: Walk to the central area could be super long, 5 bus stops on the grounds, Rooms are ordinary, average food court.

The Ugly: Main pool’s color is pea green, too small and crowded.

I would not stay there again if given a choice. Way better than values, but our studio was little better than the moderates.

Quick service, we went to the Wolfgang Puck Cafe’s in DTD for great counter meals![/QUOTE]

Well I guess there is going to be bads at every resort…the ugly, I am not worried about. DD is the swimmer and she don’t care what the pool looks like…lol We will probally use the quiet pools and late at night anyway as is her habit. She likes to jump in the pool and do some laps after the day is over. As for quick service place, it can’t be as limited as OKW, so I’ll survive that too…lol Thanks for your input.

[QUOTE=llama;920645]So, just what I told you on the phone.:happy:

We enjoy SSR. It’s very shiny & new. The studios are well laid-out - plenty of room for 2. Our new favourite section is the Grandstand - because it’s the newest, overlooks the golf course and the treehouses, is very quiet, the quiet pool is very nice and it’s a quick walk to the Lobby. And it’s the first bus stop. :happy: If you like to spend time at the Marketplace (which I know you do), try for Congress Park (haven’t I told you this already?:laugh:) which is 5 minutes to the MP along a nice walk by the river. The Turf Club is a comfortable, “good food” restaurant - very relaxing. Personally we like the Artist’s Palette very much - it’s not like the regular food courts - but you can order flatbreads, a daily special, salads etc. My only gripe with it is that there aren’t enough cashiers.

I am SO excited for you!!![/QUOTE]

Yes,…you did tell me all this…lol I am just SO excited…have to talk about it.:laugh: I will be happy with any section, but really want to get the “Springs” section is possible. Again, I’ll take anything. Hey, at least I know I won’t have to wait for a room since I will be arriving AFTER 4pm. That’s something.

I really want to wake up sick DD and tell her…REALLY REALLY WANT TO:blush:

Dana, I’ve had a love/hate relationship with SSR since we bought into DVC almost 4 years ago. I used to dislike it b/c I thought it was ‘boring’ and too big BUT I am SOOOO glad I’ve gotten to know SSR better b/c I’ve grown to LOVE it!!!

In my opinion being in ‘the Springs’ or ‘Grandstand’ is like heaven! It will take you two seconds to walk to all main common areas & it’s just covenient. The studios are still pretty new & fresh looking with plenty of room for two people to spread out with luggage.

Two of the BEST features of SSR are the “Turf Club” and the counter service place called “Artist Palette.” Turf Club is a really laid back restaurant with a nice country club pub typa’ feel. Steaks are delicious, the onion rings with specialty dips are yummy, and Daniel has also liked the fish dishes he’s gotten. REALLY good! I also agree with Llama & Rlcarmichael that Artist Palette is one of the BEST counter service spots in WDW. Fresh salads, flat breads straight from the brick over, etc. It’s REALLY good!

If you are interested in using the gym while there it’s one of the biggest & most equiped that I’ve tried at any Disney resort & the spa is GORGEOUS. Even the laundry room, which is next to the member’s clubhouse is big & has a TV in there you can watch. It’s also convenient that the main pool is right there so hopping from pool/hot tub, laundry room, and member clubhouse is so convenient. Often I will chill in the pool while Daniel plays ping pong or watches the big screen in the clubhouse.

The only negatives I still find about SSR are obviously the location of some building, I know I am fussy but I refuse to stay anywhere besides ‘the Springs’ or Grandstand, some of them are just TOO far! :laugh: I guess the only other negative I can think of is that the bus ride can feel REALLY far from the AK Park BUT the buses are plentiful so it has never been a big problem.

Wishy -
I was looking forward to hearing what you have to say about this resort. I know it’s been a love/hate resort for you, so I wanted to hear the things you liked about it.

I really am looking forward to staying there. Who cares if it’s big…I’m at WDW…right near DTD…I wasn’t even suppose to be able to go this year, so any place I am in WDW will be perfect.:wub:

Dana thanks for asking this! Vanna and I are staying there in a few days and while we have walked through the resort in the past, I have had questions about the place and this thread has answered most of them. I think when I had first made the reservation, I asked the CM to request getting us a room close to the main areas so we can get on the park buses easily.

I am contemplative about whether to call MS today to see if we can maybe try for a room in the area that overlooks DTD.

Since we are staying for a week, I think we will be hitting Turf Club at least a couple of times for lunch.

Thanks for all the info folks!

King - I am happy this thread helped you. Do tell me everything when you get home about SSR. I can’t wait to hear all about your experience there.

Dana, We’ve never stayed at SS so have no clue, but wanted to tell you how excited I am for you and Sara. You’ve been going around and around about going or saving money so am glad this occasion came up for you. Best part is you have less than a month to make all your plans. I hope you can wait to tell Sara because I think being pulled out of school to surprise her would be soooo cool:cool: Keep us updated, okay?:happy:

Thanks so much. This is the best of both worlds. The shorter trip in the off season is me still getting to go AND pay some bills. I may not be paying as many as I wanted, but I am getting a lot of them out of the way.

It is really going to be hard for me to keep this a secret, but I am going to do my best. I just don’t know how I am going to get her packed etc without her knowing. She is ALWAYS with me.:laugh:

[QUOTE=Dana;920665]Thanks so much. This is the best of both worlds. The shorter trip in the off season is me still getting to go AND pay some bills. I may not be paying as many as I wanted, but I am getting a lot of them out of the way.

It is really going to be hard for me to keep this a secret, but I am going to do my best. I just don’t know how I am going to get her packed etc without her knowing. She is ALWAYS with me.:laugh:[/QUOTE]

You’ll find away. You’re Dana!:laugh::wub:

I will also have to shop for stuff on the “down low”…she is always with me, so this is going to be complicated. I want to take just two carry-on suitcases so we dont’ have to wait for luggage when we get there. It’s going to be tough, but I think we can manage this. I’m just so excited!

I just came back from there and LOVED it. I had a 1 bd and a studio. I may go back in march just for the resort. If you don’t have a rental car you may want to request the springs. Congrats on the trip

Oh…I had congress park for our 1 bd and springs for a studio. I loved the pool and the flat bread pizza. The CM were nice. I couldn’t find the boat to DTD so I drove 1 night and took the b us another

[QUOTE=tinkerbelle24;920675]I just came back from there and LOVED it. I had a 1 bd and a studio. I may go back in march just for the resort. If you don’t have a rental car you may want to request the springs. Congrats on the trip

Oh…I had congress park for our 1 bd and springs for a studio. I loved the pool and the flat bread pizza. The CM were nice. I couldn’t find the boat to DTD so I drove 1 night and took the b us another[/QUOTE]

I am happy that you like it there. I won’t have a rental. We are going to take ME. I’ll ask for the springs, but will be happy with whatever I get. Thanks for the input on the resort.

Oh hon I am so excited for you- so pleased you took the plunge good for you! and what an awesome surprise for DD- just the best.
OK SSR, never stayed there but went with Paul to spa and gym and just loved the place, had a good look around and we would love to have a stay there- you’ve made a great choice I’m sure

Hi Dana,
SSR is my home resort and I used to get frustrated when people trashed it. I always felt that they didn’t give it a chance. I know everyone has different tastes but it is really a beautiful and relaxing resort. Sometimes you need that after a long day at the parks.My kids had a blast at the pool and the restaurants are amoung the best. My wife and I enjoy the relaxing decor which is still nice and new! I know you will have a great time and will love SSR.