So, what would you do?

DH and I are going to WDW on November 7. This was to be an anniversary trip - first trip anywhere without the kids! :heart::heart: It was just a 2-day trip, coming back on Monday morning, but we were really looking forward to an adult trip alone, and had planned accordingly.:wub:

However, my folks cannot come babysit because my dad developed pneumonia and can’t travel. :crying::crying: We have no family in the area, so we don’t have a backup plan.

Our choices were, postpone the trip, throw away the plane tickets, and try to figure out when to reschedule, or change plans and bring the kids, taking the older one out of school for a day. Not really a choice - Disney/no Disney. We chose Disney, of course! The boys are 6 and 3, so this will no longer be an adult trip. We are arriving at MCO at about 12:30, and should be at the hotel around 2.

We had planned on having dinner at Kouzzina Saturday night, followed by La Nouba. Sunday was to be spent at Epcot for the last day of the Food and Wine Festival, nibbling our way around, then heading over to MK for EMH.

That’s not really a good plan for the boys. I managed to get Sunday ADRs at T-Rex at 12:30, but that means leaving any park we go to that day. The rest of us have non-expiring park-hopper tickets, but this is the 3-year old’s first trip needing a ticket, and we’re not sure we want to go ahead and make the investment in a 10-day non-expiring parkhopper for him, just for this trip, or save that expense for the next trip.

I’m tempted to call this a shopping trip, go mini-golfing on Saturday and concentrate on shopping and Downtown Disney on Sunday afternoon, avoiding the parks altogether. DH thinks that won’t go over too well, but doesn’t have any other suggestions.

Any recommendations for this little day-and-a-half, last-minute trip with 2 boys who don’t know they’re going right now? All suggestions appreciated!

There is so much to do outside of the parks for the boys to get a quick fun fix at their age, especially with the trip being so short. I would save your money on the extra tic for now, keep your dinner and/or show ressie and put the kids in one of the kids clubs like Neverland for the eve. You’re getting your special treat for a few hours and the boys would be well taken care of and have a great time. Only thing missed is the F&W since it’s not an everyday event. But it’s all still Disney.

Love the idea of the kids club, but the 3-year old hasn’t finished potty training, so no-can-do. He’s also has serious separation anxiety (as in screaming anxiety) often enough that we don’t really want to subject someone to that until he outgrows it. He’s starting to show signs of that, but definitely not there yet.
He would have been okay with my mom, but he wouldn’t have handled another sitter.

I’d bag the Trex ressie and do a park that day. MK probably. Buy your 3 year old a one day non hopper-- it wont be too expensive. I like doing cool dining experiences, but if I only had one day, I would totally pick a park over a restaurant and shopping!

I would get a one day pass and enjoy being in a park. I don’t know that I could be that close and not go to a park, it would be so hard.

I’d try to get a special dinner saturday evening (first seating), in a resort (1900, ohana’s, etc) , get to bed early and make it a whole day at MK. With so little time, you don’t want to spend a lot of park time leaving the park, waiting for a TS, heading back to a park.

I know what you mean about the screaming. When my DS was 2ish, he would scream with new people. We started going to a new church and felt bad leaving him in the nursery. Not for him, but for the nursery worker. :laugh: By the time he was 4ish, he was over that. We had gone to disney with the gold package (old package) that included babysitting. He loved it so much, we would tell him “if you don’t behave, you can’t go back to babysitting”.:laugh:

So maybe you can save that special dinner for your next trip to disney and the kids will be ready for babysitting.

[QUOTE=Cynsayshi;1001726]Love the idea of the kids club, but the 3-year old hasn’t finished potty training, so no-can-do. He’s also has serious separation anxiety (as in screaming anxiety) often enough that we don’t really want to subject someone to that until he outgrows it. He’s starting to show signs of that, but definitely not there yet.
He would have been okay with my mom, but he wouldn’t have handled another sitter.[/QUOTE]

Kids club is 4 and up and potty trained!! We have potty trained, just waiting for the day my little one turns 4!! :laugh:

T-Rex will probably cost you more than a ticket!!

My vote is to buy a park hopper, spend the morning at MK for the kids and then head to Epcot for F&W fest while pushing sleeping kids in a stroller!! The World Showcase is quite romantic when your kids are sleeping- it was one of my best memories strolling through the countries, wine in hand with my hubby!

I voted for Sunday at MK. As much as the parks will always be there… so will T-Rex. But your boys will only be 6 and 3 now. :smile:

It seems lately that ADR’s have been odd and that walk-ups are just as likely. I think you should give DTD a shot on Saturday evening. You can try a walk-up at T-Rex or Rainforest. T-Rex is pretty neat and you can hear your party called from a mile away. Even if it’s a 30 minute wait, you could go over to Legoland (I wouldn’t be caught dead in T-Rex, but then my kids are 17 and 13… :laugh:)

I would buy a Single Day ticket and spend the day at the MK! Have a nice leisurely day in the park, have a nice lunch, see a few shows, ride a few attractions and just take your time, but thats just me…I cant go to a Disney Resort without going to the parks…it would be like going to the candy store without buying any candy! :tongue:

What about doing something special with them like the Pirate Adventure or something? Does that allow adults to attend with children? Not sure. Or, what about the family Disney treasure hunt (Family Magic Tour) in the MK?

Or, you can even take them mini golfing at Fantasia Gardens or Winter Summerland & then to a fun lunch. If you took them to play mini golf at Summerland it’s pretty close to the AKL; you could have lunch in the Lodge & go animal watching too.

If you played mini golf at Fantasia Gardens you could then rent one of those cute surrey bikes and give the boys a ride around the Boardwalk. You could even take them into the Boardwalk bakery for a treat & lunch.

i agree with the posters who said, how can you go all the way there and NOT go to a park!

[QUOTE=WishUponAStar;1001776]
If you played mini golf at Fantasia Gardens you could then rent one of those cute surrey bikes and give the boys a ride around the Boardwalk. You could even take them into the Boardwalk bakery for a treat & lunch.[/QUOTE]

The Fantasia Gardens courses are very hard, even for adults. I’d take kids to WinterSummerland.

You should go to a park and not shopping if you’re only there for 2 days or so.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1001789]The Fantasia Gardens courses are very hard, even for adults. I’d take kids to WinterSummerland.

You should go to a park and not shopping if you’re only there for 2 days or so.[/QUOTE]

haha, sorry, I couldn’t remember what the Fantasia course is like. I guess Winter Summerland is more kid friendly.

Lot’s of many good ideas. We’ve been in Orlando one year for other things but couldn’t get away w/o at least hitting 1 park, “our” fav- Epcot. If you only had time/$ to do 1, i’d go with your orignal plan and do Epcot since this trip is originally about you and hubby, just now you have extras traveling with. But doing no park would also be great. Many here do it all the time.
Non-park things we did on our last trip:
-Watch the fireworks and water parade from the beach at Poly.
-Rented searaycers and boated around the lagoon. Since they’re 2 seaters you could get 2 boats for 1/2 hr or 1 for and hour and swap out.
-Played golf at Winter-Summerland. Kids :heart: it. Laughed at the next hole everytime.
-Went to AKL and watched the animals graze on the Savannah while enjoying a snack/beverage.
-Went to several other resorts and enjoyed the uniqueness each one had to offer (ie the geyser at WL) while having snacks/beverages.
-went to DTD twice to shop, check out TRex and we didn’t do it this time but we have rode the boat that goes to the different resorts on free time. It’s a nice relaxing ride.
-strolled down the boardwalk after sunset, enjoyed the entertainers and played a few games.
We didn’t make it over there but I also read chip/dale are at FW campground bonfires in the eve.

Good luck in what you decide…it’s a toughy.:happy:

I would go to the MK for a day.

I’d do DTD for dinner and maybe a movie if the kids would sit through 1 that is. Maybe stroll around and hit some stores and maybe ice cream at Ghiradelli’s MMMM:wub:

Then spend Sunday at MK with the kids. Seeing them have so much fun will be worth any ‘adult stuff’ you had to postpone. The things we give up when we have kids. Though sometimes it’s worth it.

As for your anni, maybe go in Feb for V-Day w/ dh??? And make dear ol dad sit in a bubble til then so he doesn’t get sick. :laugh:

Dear old dad turns 80 on the 18th, but I don’t know if he’d sit in a bubble… :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Wow - so far the poll is running very strongly for MK! Can’t say I blame anyone for that, although I would dearly love to try some of the items at the F&W.