Sold out... I am sorry Disney! Can you forgive me?

Okay,

I have to explain. We did Disney, what, 9 times the past 7 years? I am the guy that everyone I know is annoyed by… “Dude, you sold out to that place, what the heck?” “Wow, you guys are stuck on Disney, you are idiots, they jus want your money.”

So, last December, a friend of mine said “Hey, we made reservations for a cruise, you and Jamie wanna go with us?” My wife and I looked at each other and said “Sure, why not, that would be great buddy”.

We made reservations for 3 days in New Orleans, 5 days on a cruise, and looked forward to it. We went ahead and made point rental (DVCrentalstore) reservations for Sept. 15-21 this year, but I felt burnt out, and didn’t do much other than grab the first dining reservations I could grab. We were going with the Disney friends from last year, so we were at least 10% excited, but not our normal 150% excited for Disney.

We did our trip, had a great time in NOLA, and liked the cruise, having a great experience in Cozumel, renting a Jeep and going to a super cool, no electricity, back side of the island bar (Coconuts). Great fun, great friends, and a country I haven’t been to in 12 or 14 years. We had a great time.

However, it.just.wasn’t.Disney. I was burnt out, I was sad, and I didn’t love my favorite beloved Disney like before, and I was upset…

Well, tonight, I looked online and saw my favorite Disney website of mousebuzz.com, read some trip reports, and read a couple of emails from a couple friends who went on lesser vacations…

Dang, I miss Disney. I am excited again. I miss the magic. Like the word I made up and shared with my email-friend Bill Burke from Mousejunkies, I am having “Wishdrawals”. I need my fix.

Thanks Mousebuzz. Can we leave tomorrow for our WL reservations?

You do something often enough, and it becomes common place. We were doing WDW every winter for a while, and my wife and I began to be mostly excited about eating at new restaurants.

So we began doing vacations to National Parks. For the most part, we’ve loved it. It’s not WDW, but we’ve seen & done some amazing things. Last year, DW’s battle with breast cancer took away all vacation plans. This year, we realized DD will be a Disney “adult” in November (because everyone knows how adult-like a 10yo is!). We decided one more family trip before we have to pay the higher fees. It will probably be our last until the kids are grown & gone.

2013 will most likely be a trip to Washington, D.C. & maybe Boston.

I was “forced” to give up my annual Disney trip to go with family members to Arizona. I pouted all the way leading up to the trip. Although we had a good time, loved being with family, saw amazing things, I couldn’t help but think I wish I was at Disney. Now again, next year they want to take a trip somewhere else again. Sure, but this time, will still plan a Disney trip also for that year. I’m thinking I will enjoy the other vacation much better knowing I don’t have to give up Disney for a year.

We used to go every 2 years to WDW…later it became 2-3…now it’s been 3.5 since the last trip…and we may not make it there next month anyway…by not going so often, we really really look forward to our trip…there also are usually new things to see and do by waiting for a couple of years…that being said…if I lived closer??? :whistling

I went to Disney two summers ago and I probably won’t go again for a while. We have tried other trips and do enjoy them as well. I will need a Disney fix soon but with kids going to college I am not sure when that will be. I am glad that you are excited about going again…I would be if I could go!

Cavey- you would love Boston with the kids…there is so much to do…tour guide here if you go in the summer!

“Wishdrawals.” I love that word!!! :happy:

[QUOTE=Cavey;1115938]You do something often enough, and it becomes common place. We were doing WDW every winter for a while, and my wife and I began to be mostly excited about eating at new restaurants.

So we began doing vacations to National Parks. For the most part, we’ve loved it. It’s not WDW, but we’ve seen & done some amazing things. Last year, DW’s battle with breast cancer took away all vacation plans. This year, we realized DD will be a Disney “adult” in November (because everyone knows how adult-like a 10yo is!). We decided one more family trip before we have to pay the higher fees. It will probably be our last until the kids are grown & gone.

2013 will most likely be a trip to Washington, D.C. & maybe Boston.[/QUOTE]

…if you can work it to come to the DC area, come during a fall or spring break. This area is hazy hot and humid in the summertime. I always feel so sorry for tourists here during the summer…cherry blossom time is beautiful but crowded…is there is a fall break time that would be good. Also, if your kids get out of school in May, the kids around here don’t get out until the third week in June so late May is a good time to come…before it gets really hot… Just giving my DC two cents worth…:laugh:

We went two years in a row and intentionally didn’t go in 2011. We didn’t want the magic to wear off. Now this year I am 1000% stoked for many reasons

1)we are staying at a deluxe resort for the first time
2)I get to stay one night at AoA in my favorite princesses building
3)I will get to hit the F&W festival all by myself this year. I won’t be pulled in 729 different directions.

But most of all we get to go with my best friend and her family. Oh and my father in law, mother in law and my 4 year old sister in law will be there too! Its looking to be an amazing trip. No “wishdrawl” this year! Lol at least until October 28th lol

I am jealous of your trip for AoA! We really want to see it, maybe we will get a chance to go over there in September.

Watch it on the Deluxe though. Once we did it, it was over with and we scrimp and save everything to stay at WL or the Poly. They just make the trip so much better.

Thanks guys, glad I am not the only one that gets stuck on the Mouse.

Send money and all will be forgiven. :laugh:

I’ve just stopped fighting it and realized that a Disney trip every year is a regular part of our lives. It’s more than a vacation. It’s like going to our second home. Seriously - I get a lump in my throat when we touch down in Orlando. Sometimes our trips are extravagant and sometimes they’re budget - this year we have an opportunity of a free 2 bedroom villa at a Marriott Resort - so we won’t be staying on-site. But that’s ok. I know that next year we’ll be back at a DVC. I just ignore what people say - around here everyone has lake cottages (know how Minnesota has 10,000 lakes? - we have 100,000!) and every weekend is the regular migration to the cottage. Sure, it was fun when you were a kid…not so much fun when you’re a grown-up. Just another whole household to run. So - we sold our cottage - and everyone thought we were crazy - but I don’t care. Our “cottage” is WDW. Vacation time is precious - why ruin it doing what “others” think you should do? We love travelling to Europe and we love cruising. We’ve seen our country from one end to the other and back again. It’s not like Disney is the only destination we have. It’s just the destination we NEED to have once a year. So - I do without a lot of extra stuff. My car isn’t new. I don’t buy a lot of clothes, we don’t eat out often. We always have that lovely feeling of “saving” for Disney and looking forward to our next trip “home”.

Wow, those sentiments were straight from the heart Janice- beautifully written, and oh so true:heart:

I’m not going to post on this thread because you sold out.

(that was me - not posting)

except for the horrible day trip to EPCOT last month (which wasn’t a good experance no matter were we would have gone) we haven’t been to WDW for close to 2 years. About a year ago I had withdrawl symtoms but have gotten over it.

We have decided again not go get AP and the only Disney we do is occationally meeting people at DTD when they come into town.

Right now all our money is going into our house and building out our businesses. When we need to get away we useally want to get out of town.

Someday I hope to get our AP and spend some time catching back up with Disney.

I go every year…going to keep going every year. I don’t even feel the need to make excuses for my annual trip. My new job will have me looking for excuses to squeeze in a 4 day winter trip however. :laugh:

1. I work at a conference center, which is fancy talk for “camp.” So summer vacations don’t exist for me.

2. Being a homeschool dad, we can take vacations any time my schedule allows for it. I prefer Fall & Winter vacations because it gives me something to look forward to during the busy summer.

We decided to do it every other year. Like last year was grand canyon and Phoenix. In August :blink: had time share all to ourselves. We loved it

That was almost the trip last year. Our problem is it’s a solid 3 days of driving to GC. When you only have 7 days off, that doesn’t leave much time. Same goes for Yellowstone.

[QUOTE=Cavey;1115938]You do something often enough, and it becomes common place. We were doing WDW every winter for a while, and my wife and I began to be mostly excited about eating at new restaurants.

2013 will most likely be a trip to Washington, D.C. & maybe Boston.[/QUOTE]

Cavey, I’ve been to DC a lot and have actually done a travel plan for several people that they found very helpful, and followed almost to a tee. A logical plan for all of the museums and monuments, a good walking plan. PM me if you want it.

…there have been some changes to museum hours, what’s contained in some of the Smithsonians, as well as changes to the Metro (subway) so its best to review all that ahead of time. Even those of us who go downtown often get caught off guard…we recently had out of town guests that set off on their own downtown…with info in hand…and ran into changes that we didn’t have updated on the info we give out…never a dull moment in our good ole Nations Capital…