Song of the South

I grew up with my father reading me stories about Uncle Remus out of an old book that his mother use to read to him. So I have always had a special place in my heart for the stories. I know that for some reason that movie is not available. I personally didn’t find anything wrong with the show. It’s about a sweet old man who likes to tell stories.

Could someone please tell me what the issue has been with the movie? We haven’t been able to find it anywhere but were just able to watch it on youtube.

I wish I could tell ya but I probably only saw the movie once or twice and it was when I was a little kid. I hardly even remember it at all.

I saw plenty of copies of this movie at a Children’s Book Fair. I asked about this and he said that there was not copyright on it or something to that effect. So there you go. It is out there and I still love watching it.
I think it had to be converted from PAL, but it is great quality and I am sure you should be able to find it if you keep looking.

There has always been some concerns about racial stereotypes in the movie. Disney in a fit of political correctness pulled it from circulation during the civil rights era and just left it in “the vault” rather then taking a risk at offending anyone.

It is a tough call, but I think, as posted above, for most kids these days it is simply an old man telling some great moral stories.

Thoughts?

you can download the movie on line…disney i believe actually released the movie over seas and i have heard that it is or was available in canada …it was one of my favorite movies when i was a child…askedmany,many times why???always get some lame brain excuse…try asking why dixielandings name was changed you will get the same runaround

I watched some comedy jam last night on showtime…if the times haven’t changed then I have no clue why this great movie isn’t being released…no clue whatsoever…what we had in the 50’s is long gone…long gone…but as much as we alllove disney …every once in a while they do something none of us understand

Well this movie was re-released in 1986. I would have a very very hard time believing that there is no copy write on it. I found a website Song of the South.net - Dedicated to This Walt Disney Classic that says that if you find any copies around here they are usually bootlegged. It is available overseas though.

[QUOTE=InHouseMouse;1008204]Well this movie was re-released in 1986. I would have a very very hard time believing that there is no copy write on it. I found a website Song of the South.net - Dedicated to This Walt Disney Classic that says that if you find any copies around here they are usually bootlegged. It is available overseas though.[/QUOTE] yeah it was released then pulled …it is being sold overseas…or was…the sad thing is it shows race as it was …but in a good way …even with the negative being there

I used to see it here quite alot on VHS PAL- however, I haven’t seen it on DVD for a while?

I have always thought that disney should answer WHY they will not release it …unfortuneatley…my voice isnot BIG enough to force the issue …disney being a great marketing company …and one that likes money must really have some deep seeded reason NOT to release it …it wouyld for sure be a big money maker for them …but I am just one silent voice…come on Disney release it in a modern format …for you who have never seen it …it mixes cartoon with real life at a very early time in cinema …a technoligical marvel also