Song of the South...at last!

I don’t think I ever mentioned this in my latest updates, but in early April I got a dvd copy of Song of the South!!! :biggrin:

I won’t name any names, but my friend’s dad had a copy which was a copy of a laserdisc that was owned by a friend of his. The copy I own is so ‘bootlegged’ that all the songs have japanese subtitles at the bottom. :laugh: And my friend’s dad was nice enough to make me a copy…

But that doesn’t bother me, because I finally own it. :ninja: Crazy!! And that movie is now on my top favorites list.

Just felt like sharing some good news! :rolleyes:

OMG!!! I didn’t even know that they ever put it out for home video. When I was little, it came back out to the movie theaters and my grandfather told me that I had to see it, so he brought me and my sister. I have loved the movie ever since, and of course, I have never seen it again other than clips in “Sing Along” videos.

We have songs of the south video cassette from years ago the kids loved it.

not so keen on the pirate copy situation.:whistling

[QUOTE=Screever;969906]I don’t think I ever mentioned this in my latest updates, but in early April I got a dvd copy of Song of the South!!! :biggrin:

I won’t name any names, but my friend’s dad had a copy which was a copy of a laserdisc that was owned by a friend of his. The copy I own is so ‘bootlegged’ that all the songs have japanese subtitles at the bottom. :laugh: And my friend’s dad was nice enough to make me a copy…

But that doesn’t bother me, because I finally own it. :ninja: Crazy!! And that movie is now on my top favorites list.

Just felt like sharing some good news! :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

MissSMIG loves Song of the South… she is going to be so jealous.

I think it should be released on DVD.

Definitely. The problem is that everyone calls it “racist.” However, it was a hit at its time. Critics need to get off of Mark Twain and Walt Disney. I’m sick of Americans trying to cover up the dirty truth and glorify our past as a country. We weren’t perfect, and we need to accept that. :closedeye

Yeah my dad tracked that movie down fir like 2 years before finally getting a copy on VHS that was shipped from over seas to here. It is an amazing movie, and I’ve been trying to get dad to give me it lol. I love riding splash mountian seeing all the characters and being reminded of my youth and watching that movie!

When I found myself on an island in the South Pacific, I started to pick up vhs tapes. Who knew in 1996 that they would be obsolete in less than ten years…

Anyway, 12,000 videotapes later, I still did not have a copy of “Song of the South”. In my searches on ebay, the movie was released in Japan. Thus the subtitled versions. With the possibility of transfer to dvd now, it’s just a little question of the “piracy” thingy. :pirate:

I could have bought in April, but the guy wanted $40 for it. He told me that it will most likely never be released in the US. He was from the UK and they have it there. He had it reformatted for our DVD players here. We talked at length about it, unfortunately I did not save his business card.

Glad you got a copy though.

yeah I forgot to mention the best part about dads copy NO SUBTITLES lol

Bravo!!!:closedeye

Amen. I didn’t find it racist or degrading at all, and there are worse movies out nowadays that I would call racist in a second. But I may not be the best person to say so…

I have a copy of it that was transferred from an old VHS to DVD. Unfortunately the ending didn’t copy correctly so I’ve never seen the last 15 minutes of it. No idea what happened to it though in our many moves.

They want to ban movies lets see how about Blazing Saddles and Boys in the Hood just for starters