Soundstage Restaurant - remember this place?

(Since this restaurant no longer exists, I thought it was more of a “Mouse Trap” posting rather than a “WDW Restaurants” posting. But Mods, please correct me if I’m wrong!)

I was going crazy trying to remember this flashback from my childhood… There was a restaurant in DHS (back in the MGM days!) where you could rub Aladdin’s lamp and Genie would talk to you. Everyone I ask has no idea what I’m talking about. :pinch:

BUT, thanks to Google, I have proven that I’m not crazy and this place actually existed as the Soundstage Restaurant!

Soundstage Restaurant

The Soundstage Restaurant was located in Soundstage 5, which is where Playhouse Disney - Live on Stage! is currently located and was a full-service restaurant that had a design to look like a “live set” from some Disney films. Sponsored by the J.M. Smucker Company, it was a buffet that featured characters from Disney animated classics and served breakfast and lunch. Originally, the restaurant had a theme to the film “Big Business”, starring Bette Midler and Lily Tomlin from 1988. The idea of the theme was to make it look like the set was fragmented as if it had been “struck” and there were set pieces and props from other productions lying about. … The Cast Members that worked at the restaurant even wore catering costumes to tie-into the whole theme of the restaurant being a “wrap party”.

Anyone else remember the Soundstage Restaurant? Apparently there were different themes through the years with Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, and Pocahontas. I don’t remember the food but I sure remember thinking I had the magic touch to get Genie to come out of his lamp. :laugh:

And here’s an interesting bit of trivia:

An interesting bit of trivia is that there were golden camels at the front entrance of the restaurant during the Aladdin years, and these camels were the same camels from the Aladdin Parade that was briefly at the Disney-MGM Studios and the same camel you can find in Adventureland in the Magic Kingdom currently.

We took our first trip to WDW in 2005, so there is not much that has changed since we were there (except for a few additions and the name of HS!). It is so fun for us to see pics of how things used to be and hear the stories from those who have been going to WDW for years. Thanks for sharing this little Flashback:happy:

I remember it!:happy: We never ate there, but it was always on my “to do” list. Now I guess it’s on my “never happened” list. I think the Aladdin Parade with the spitting camels will always be my favourite. I just smile everytime I pass those camels in Adventureland now.

I remember them both too. I never actually went in Soundstage, and as for the Aladdin parade, wasn’t there a huge inflatable blue genie too?

Yes I remember them also. And there was a “huge inflatable blue genie” too!

I don’t remember this restaurant but it reminds me of a similar type one they had at DCA. It was based on the ABC line up of Soap Operas and had the different sets from General Hospital, All My Children…etc. It served lunch and dinner and the food was AMAZING! Besides the CMs that were servers, they also had CMs that were “in character” as Soap characters that would appear every once in a while and perform little scenes. Sometimes they involved the guests. It was so much fun and, as I said, the food was so good. It was replaced by, you guessed it, Playhouse Disney:closedeye

Weird! Both replaced by Playhouse Disney…

I like the idea of CMs as soap stars. Sounds kind of like 50s Prime Time. (Only I bet the soap stars wouldn’t care if you ate your veggies.)