Southwest "earlybird" checkin

It seems the last few trips our checkin spot has gotten lower and lower in the A group. I’m guessing with all the smart phones, it’s easier to checkin wherever. So this trip we decided to purchase the early bird thing. We got “A 37”. I think there are 50 or 60 "A spots to start with. I wonder what we would have gotten without it

I tried Early Bird once and got A53. Decided why bother for future uses if I was going to be that far back. This last trip going home, I realized I forgot to check in until about 3 hours past the 24 hour mark. Got B30 and B31. There were still plenty of window seats left, just a bit farther back.

When my dgd’s flew down to New Orleans on Sw I paid for Priority boarding. The oldest is not a good flyer so I wanted to be sure she would sit with her cousin. Well worth the $20.

I wanted to make sure we had two seats together. I’ve seen lots of people get on as a couple and sit in window and aisle seats. If I’m going to sit in a center seat, I’d like it next to my DH.

And it’s up to $12.50 a ticket now.

I think you’re right about the smart phones and people checking in. If I were flying alone I don’t think I would pay for the early check in because there’s always an open seat. However, I still want one of us to sit with our son in case there is an emergency. I can’t imagine how worried I would be if he were 15 rows away from his parents and something happened.

I will never forget one trip coming back from WDW, when my DD was very young—and they changed planes on us for mechanical reasons. The seats got all messed up and DD got separated from the rest of us—all 4 of us were split up.

Delta would not change anyones seat around–they did make an announcement asking for someone to change but no one would. The flights later in the day were already booked—and DD had already missed 2 days of school. I had to let it go and trust that she would be ok sitting next to a stranger. I don’t know why that business man didn’t want to change seats with me, but he did open her juice for her and help her. I kept going up asking if she was ok. It worked out ok in the end, but I wasn’t happy.

Many many “moons” ago, my DH and I were on a flight where American would not take off if a parent was not sitting right next to a child under a certain age. The flight was delayed so DH and I split up so we could get going. I don’t know when that rule changed.

I am not sure what I would do if asked to be separated from a young child now…I think I might have to change flights…

[QUOTE=smallworld;1133569]I will never forget one trip coming back from WDW, when my DD was very young—and they changed planes on us for mechanical reasons. The seats got all messed up and DD got separated from the rest of us—all 4 of us were split up.

Delta would not change anyones seat around–they did make an announcement asking for someone to change but no one would. The flights later in the day were already booked—and DD had already missed 2 days of school. I had to let it go and trust that she would be ok sitting next to a stranger. I don’t know why that business man didn’t want to change seats with me, but he did open her juice for her and help her. I kept going up asking if she was ok. It worked out ok in the end, but I wasn’t happy.

Many many “moons” ago, my DH and I were on a flight where American would not take off if a parent was not sitting right next to a child under a certain age. The flight was delayed so DH and I split up so we could get going. I don’t know when that rule changed.

I am not sure what I would do if asked to be separated from a young child now…I think I might have to change flights…[/QUOTE]

I’m not sure what I would have done either. My son is old enough to sit alone and be fine, he’s almost 15. However, being the worrier I am I still would like a parent next to him in case there is an emergency. A stranger isn’t the same as a parent in a true emergency.

I paid for the early bird check in last time I flew Sw…was worth it.

The Southwest seating arrangement has always made me nervous so I have rarely flown with them. I flew Southwest on business and I really liked them but having a family of four I like having assigned seats. Their seating process has improved from years ago but the I think seating on airlines have become such a rip off.

I agree. I like knowing I’m checked in early and don’t have to worried about doing it at exactly 24 hours out.

I paid for it in October. I checked in exactly at the 24 hour mark and got a15 I think. I was fine. Got a window seat that wasn’t a regular seat, but wasn’t an exit row either. I had about a foot and a half gap between me and the window so I was able to put my purse on the floor. Plus enough leg room I could sit comfortably.

When you pay for the Early bird check-in, the seats are given out in the order in which people purchased the early bird check in - you are more or less guaranteed section A. I checked in 12 hours or less before my flight and still was in A.

A certain number of the first A’s are saved for Business select and A list flyers. It seems to vary depending on the airport. Norfolk used to start the early birds at 15 but now it’s 30 and generally there are only a few folks in the A1-30.

I purchased the EB and checked in today. My number is A40. Can’t imagine where I would have been without the EB. It’s becoming more of a necessity now just to avoid boarding last.

I purchased the EB for our upcoming flights. I like that fact that I don’t have to be a clock watcher and check in 24 hours in advance from my phone or computer, but since I bought the tickets at the crack of dawn, I’m curious to know where we will figure in the number sequence.

I do feel better knowing that some of you have used EB and have been satisfied!!

Our last flight we flew airtran and while going thru the Southwest site, you can’t pick seats or purchase early bird. On both legs, we were given separate rows. I checked the seats charts and there were tons of seats still open. But you can’t change anything until you get to the airport. I was able to get seats together coming home but not on the way down.

I hope not to fly air tran again with this policy.

…maybe it’s because I am old enough to remember but…I remember when taking a flight somewhere was fun and exciting…it wasn’t so stressful, and the airlines and employees went out of their way to make your flight enjoyable.

Not anymore…I dread heading to the airport…you never know what to expect…:blink:

I have been flying Spirit Airlines lately - three times in 2013. I have to pay for the seat, but I like knowing I have it. I am not knocking Southwest at all, but my boss paid for EB and was given B section which means after A and after families. I would have been royally POed if that were me.

Yes, it does say you are not may not get “a A” seat but that’s a stupid rule. If air tran (thru SW) had a way to pay for seats, I would have done it.

The two things holding me to SW is (1) being able to change flights with no charge and getting credit if the fare is lower and (2) Free bags.

Dana, what airport do you use?