Southwest Fliers, Please post here!

I have never flown Southwest and quite frankly I dont know how you get the DING fares but Iam really considering them now for my Nov. Trip.

I just checked them again and am really reconsidering travelling 2hrs to Philly because of their great NO EXTRA FEES low rates!!! (see my airfare fees chart)

My original dates were 10/31 -11/9 but I was thinking about coming home 1 day early on the 8th so I check southwest fares AND…

If I leave the evening of 10/30 (can try to work MOST of that day) at 7:30pm (dont want to take the last flight just in case and dont want to get to hotel after midnite) and fly home on Nov. 8th at 3:30pm (8am was $40 cheaper but TOO Early! :pinch:), the fare for DD and Me is $552.00 TOTAL!!!

Not bad eh??? I would only have to leave 1 day earlier, maybe leave work by 3pm? Or maybe a lil earlier and drive to Philly or look into car service??? :confused:
Coming home, I wanted to come home later because I originally had a CM"s dinner ADR booked but I can deal with that and try to fit it in somewhere else.

And if I leave 1 nite earlier I will book a cheap hotel in Maingate, last time it was like $44 or something.

I know Iam paying a lil extra here and there but I think it will be worth it because Iam getting the closest to the days I wanted, and the fare is lower and I wont have to pay for my luggage or seats, etc…

So can I get some input from someone that has some experience with SouthWest and anyone else who would to add something.
Thank you! :happy:

We only fly SWA and love it. I know a lot of people don’t like their boarding but we love it. Check in exactly 24 hours out and you’ll be fine. You now line up in order according to your boarding pass so there’s no need to line up an hour or more early. Everyone just gets in order when your group is called.

We have only been late once and that was due to our plane coming in late because of a security issue at another airport. The crew is always nice and very friendly.

To get DINGs you have to go to their website and download the program.

[QUOTE=DisneyTeacher;861932]We only fly SWA and love it. I know a lot of people don’t like their boarding but we love it. Check in exactly 24 hours out and you’ll be fine. You now line up in order according to your boarding pass so there’s no need to line up an hour or more early. Everyone just gets in order when your group is called.

We have only been late once and that was due to our plane coming in late because of a security issue at another airport. The crew is always nice and very friendly.

To get DINGs you have to go to their website and download the program.[/QUOTE]

SouthWest is the airline with no pre-reserved seating, is that correct?

Do you mean check in online 24hrs before? (sorry to be dope but I want to make sure Iam understanding right! lol)

Oh I signed up for their rewards programs and to get emails for specials. I have to look for the Ding’s now.

I didnt book yet, I want to be sure when I pay for the tickets.

[QUOTE=Val32;861934]SouthWest is the airline with no pre-reserved seating, is that correct?

Do you mean check in online 24hrs before? (sorry to be dope but I want to make sure Iam understanding right! lol)

Oh I signed up for their rewards programs and to get emails for specials. I have to look for the Ding’s now.

I didnt book yet, I want to be sure when I pay for the tickets.[/QUOTE]

Yes, you check in 24 hours out online. Once you board the plane you pick your seat. I think it’s quicker than people trying to locate their assigned seat. With SWA you just grab the first set of seats that fits your family.

I always try to fly southwest. One of the best things is if you need to change your ticket, it is very easy and will not cost you any extra fees. Yesterday, I found out that the cost of my return flight dropped for the 4 of us, so I was able to get a $100 credit. I then turned around and applied that to a more expensive flight at a better time on our arriving flight. All it cost me is $8 total for the changes. Now I don’t have to get the kids up at 5 am to get to the airport. Yea! If you make changes and get a credit (sorry, not cash back!), you usually have 1 year to “redeem” your credit. It seems that other airlines charge a FORTUNE if you want to make a change. What if great-grama is in the hospital? Kid with stomach flu? Life is unpredictable…so the flexibility is important to me! Personally, having assigned seats is not important to me, so that part is no big deal. Hope this helps.

We have flown swa and we think it is a good alternative for the price. Sign up for the email alerts.

Thank you each of you for your replies, they are all very helpful! :happy:

I would rather fly Jet blue out of Newark but their fares are higher right now and they are charging extra fees too for bags (although lower than continental). I have to go with what is cheaper right now and what days they have the fares available for.

I signed up for everything with SWA, lol.

Val - I have heard nothing but praises being sung about SW. I am concerned with you driving all that extra time, possibly needing a car service and a hotel room to fly with them. Those extra costs are going to end up costing you the same as a flight closer to home. Break all the charges down and compare before you decide.

I too am a SW fan. I only travel with them now if at all possible. We’re going the same dates as you and I have already changed my ressies 3 times to get more credit. I always end up getting a free fare somewhere down the line with all my built-up credits.

Another thing about the SW credit, the credit can be used toward any body’s ticket. We booked flights four months ago for my DH and I. Then the fare went lower. I got credit for the difference and plan to use it for my DS and his new wife for their honeymoon. The only catch is you have to used the credit with one yr of purchasing the original ticket.

I have only flown SW and have had very few problems. We did have a delayed flight last summer due to weather but that was it.

My family fly Sw and have no problems. We will fly again soon.

Val, we always go either airtran or Southwest. What we do is get the first flight of the day (usually 7am). We then book a hotel near the airport at parksleepfly.com for the evening before and leave our car there for the duration of the trip. That way we get up and take their shuttle right to the airport and start off our trip fresh. It usually costs about the same as the parking at the airport anyway. When we return, we call for the hotel shuttle and go back to get our car. This allows us to get to WDW on our first day by 10am!

We only fly SWA and we luv it. The most I have paid for a flight lately was $550 (see my signature :happy:) Have changed the flights many times to get the lower prices and have never had a problem. Also you can check in online 24 hours before but you can also do it over your phone with their mobile internet site which is listed on their website. This way you can do it for your return trip without having to relie on someone being near a computer for the return trip.

Again only delayed 2 times in all the times that I have used SWA. Once the flight was canceled but they put us on the very next flight which was 2 hours later. Remember to check your flight status before you leave home. We forgot to :angry: The second time was because of weather. There were horrible storms all along the eastcoast. Again everyone was very nice.

Also if you are renting a car check out the rates into Tampa. We have flown
into Tampa, rented a car and drove to WDW. The ride was about an hour but still the prices were sooooooo much cheaper than flying into Orlando, if you can believe that :happy:. Make sure to set up your Ding for Tampa too because sometime you can get the flight for $47 there while orlando is still $79 or more.

Have a great time. I am waiting to start stalking for Jan 2009 :laugh:

[QUOTE=Dawn;862061]Also you can check in online 24 hours before but you can also do it over your phone with their mobile internet site which is listed on their website. This way you can do it for your return trip without having to relie on someone being near a computer for the return trip.
[/QUOTE]

Can you tell me specifically how that works?

I normally always fly SW…love it…but since I booked a package with Disney…they put me on American…but will have luggage charges…but think I can deal with it.

I have never had any problems with SW…I really love the rapid rewards…

ddoll,

Here is the info from the FAQ section of SWA’s site

1. What is the URL (web address) for wireless access to southwest.com?

mobile.southwest.com

1. What do I need to get southwest.com wireless access on my mobile device?
    First, you will need a device with data access functionality and a web browser. Then, you will need to input the following URL/address: mobile.southwest.com. You will probably want to bookmark this address to make it easier to access in the future. If you need assistance on how to create bookmarks on your wireless device, please see your user manual for the device.

2. What southwest.com features are available via my mobile device?

Currently, Wireless Flight Checkin is one of the key features available via your mobile device. In addition, you may delete your boarding pass and cancel your checkin, obtain information on how to contact Southwest Airlines, or access Southwest’s Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy.

1. Is Flight Status Information available via my mobile device?

Flight Status Information is not available through mobile.southwest.com, however, you may go to southwest.com and subscribe to Flight Status Messaging to have updates sent to your mobile device.

1. What information will I need to check in via my mobile device?

You will need your confirmation number and the first and last name of one of the Passengers listed in the reservation.

1. How will I know which boarding group I have been assigned?

The Checkin Confirmation Screen on your mobile device will display the Boarding Group below each Customer.

If you need to look up anything else go to this link:Southwest Airlines - Wireless Access for Mobile Devices

Hope this helps

~Dawn:flowers:

We are flying SW for the first time in just 17-days!!!
So far so good. We got a great price and no changes in our flights.

I know, I hear you… Here are the prices broken down each way.

Roundtrip on SWA 2ppl = $552.00, (10/30 -11/8/08)
airport parking PHL = $76.73
Hotel in Maingate area= $41.00
no extra baggage fees, or anything, 2 Bags allowed Each!!!
-------------------------------TOTAL = $669.73 (plus gas + tolls )

Roundtrip on Jet Blue $1228.00 2ppl (10/31 - 11/8/08)
2nd bag (iam counting 1) $20.00 each way = 40.00
----------------------------------Total = 1268.00 barring any other airline fees

Roundtrip on Jet Blue $1088.00 (10/30 - 11/8/08) 2ppl
2nd bag checked fee $20.00 each way = $40.00
hotel maingate $41.00
-----------------------------------TOTAL = $1169.00

Roundtrip on Continental Airlines 2ppl $898.00 (10/31 - 11/8)
2nd checked bag fee $25.00 each way = $50.00
plus any other airline fees???
------------------------------------TOTAL = $ 948.00

Roundtrip on Continental Airlines 2ppl $768.00 (10/30-11/8) (coming home earlier in day)
2nd checked bag fee $25.00 each way = $50.00
hotel maingate= $41.00
--------------------------------------TOTAL # $859.00

This is not counting any extra day on my car rental which Iam not sure how much that is. If I take Jet Blue or Continental airlines, I still have to pay some gas/tolls to/from airport and someone will probably drop us off.

I usually check 3-4 bags with 1 carry on each. I estimated checking 3 bags, having to pay for 1 extra bag.
I also have 1 large suitcase which I use for myself and I have escaped being charged the overweight fee before, I dont know if they would catch me this time and charge me. Jet Blue charges an additional $50 each way and Continental charges an additional $50.00 each way too. So I must think about that too. If SWA were to charge me it would cost an additional $25.00 each way. I try weighing my large suitcase on my little bathroom scale but it is very difficult and can be innacurate! :blush::laugh:

[QUOTE=Val32;862685]
I also have 1 large suitcase which I use for myself and I have escaped being charged the overweight fee before, I dont know if they would catch me this time and charge me. Jet Blue charges an additional $50 each way and Continental charges an additional $50.00 each way too. So I must think about that too. If SWA were to charge me it would cost an additional $25.00 each way. I try weighing my large suitcase on my little bathroom scale but it is very difficult and can be innacurate! :blush::laugh:[/QUOTE]

SWA always weighs our bags. In June my bag was tagged with a little red and white tag that had 49 written on it. I was closer to the limit than I thought and they knew it. When we check our bags at the counter the agent has me put the bags right on the scale when she tags it. The skycap at my airport didn’t weight my bags in front of me but we weren’t close going down, just coming home. I had two big noodles in it going down and ‘stuff’ in place od those coming home.

Since they allow extra bags I think they are pretty strict with the weight.