Space mountain open!

Huge line and my dh isn’t here blah!!!

Get pictures!

Great! Give us an update…please!

Unfortunately I’m with the little ones by myself so I can’t go on. No side by side cars:( I was able to snap a bad pic from the tta. It looks like its a really soft open since they still have signs up and no fast pass. I did notice it was REALLY quiet going through it on the tta. You can’t see much. :frowning: sorry that’s all I know:(

Yeah!! I can’t wait to hear about the changes!

woohoo! I am glad it will be open when we get there in 5 days!

Yes! I will have a happy partner on our trip next month…

Ya’ll save me a place in line- I’ll be right there… (I wish)…

I’m shocked! Shocked I tell you!
Basically, I’m shocked it reopened a week early and I’m even more shocked that Disney stiffed us.
I say we were stiffed because this Space Mountain, the original, is two years older than Disneyland’s original Space Mountain (1975 vs 1977) and the Disneyland version was completely replaced in 2004-2005 while MK is stuck with a 34 year old coaster that was in sore need of more than a minor refresh.

Thank you Disney Theme Parks’ management. Thanks for nothing!!!

(Of course this doesn’t mean I won’t ride it. It just means that I’m very angry that the bean counters and accountants have done it again.)

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1004651]I’m shocked! Shocked I tell you!
Basically, I’m shocked it reopened a week early and I’m even more shocked that Disney stiffed us.
I say we were stiffed because this Space Mountain, the original, is two years older than Disneyland’s original Space Mountain (1975 vs 1977) and the Disneyland version was completely replaced in 2004-2005 while MK is stuck with a 34 year old coaster that was in sore need of more than a minor refresh.

Thank you Disney Theme Parks’ management. Thanks for nothing!!!

(Of course this doesn’t mean I won’t ride it. It just means that I’m very angry that the bean counters and accountants have done it again.)[/QUOTE]

From what I understand they broke the rehab up into phases and shifted dollars that would have been spent on the full rehab towards other things that were in need of repair/upkeep.

This rehab darkened the ride (from what I have heard a lot), added more sound deadening, updated the pre-show, load area, and post show. The pictures I have seen tips the hat at Horizons and also adds more back story to the ride. Track hasn’t changed but has been smoothed out in place and the chain lift is still there (clang, clank, clang, clank…what is the Jules Vernes?).

There is the rumor that disney is working on a Tomorrowland based movie (in the vain of PotC) based on SM. If this is true I would think they would want to make adjustments to the ride to bring help align it with the movie (the pre-rehab SM was really blank theme wise).

I hope that on Nov 22 (the official open) TTA gets a new sound track.

Also I hope that they add the star field (like SM DL) in the next phase of the rehab.

Personally I would love to see them install a new coster more like RR with the a sling shot launch and loops. I hope they never put a sound track on the coaster. Space is a vacuum and they should barely hear you scream :wink:

(If you really want to blame something blame the pressure harry potter land put on WDW to build the new Fantasyland addition…)

Sorry for the rambling…

Yes! So glad its opening on time! I can’t wait to ride it in a month!

I was really hoping for a new track. Did they at least add syncronized sound like with the DL version?

On the bright side, I can now take my rollercoaster-hating friend on it and feel no sympathy.

Just wanted to remind you that they still had the signs saying space mountain was closed even though they were letting people ride it. i just don’t want anyone disappointed when they go and it might not be open. they still had those black walls up so you couldn’t see anything from the tta. probably part of the refurb? and it would explain why it was so quiet. Rose went from having the tta as her favorite ride to hating it because of the dark :pinch:
so here’s the two bad photo’s i got. one was of people on it. it was so dark i had to just click and pray because you really only knew they were there because of the click click of the track. and the second one is one the line.:ohmy:

Here is an article:

After closing for refurbishment back in April, Space Mountain will officially reopen at the Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World on Nov. 22. In the meantime, the soft opening for the new and improved Space Mountain began this afternoon (Nov. 13).

The refurbishment of the classic roller coaster does not alter the experience of the ride, instead updating it with 21st century technology. Disney Parks Blog lists some of the upgrades, which include new lighting and darkening effects, new color schemes for ride vehicles and decor enhancements.

The track layout will remain the same, but with technological upgrades. The blog does not go into any specifics as to what those upgrades might be.

Soft opening for guests reportedly began around 3:30 p.m. this afternoon, with many reporting on Twitter that they were in line for the coaster.

Link: Space Mountain scheduled to reopen at Disney World Nov. 22; soft opening begins

Here is the Disney Blog Update: http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2009/11/space-mountain-attraction-update/

1. The Paris Space Mountain is a completely different ride than all of the other Space Mountains. That Space Mountain is a full sized roller coaster train with an on ride audio system similar to RnRCoaster and Cali Screamin’ featuring a launch system that recalls the cannon launch of Verne’s “From the Earth to the Moon” using cables that slingshot you on your way while MK’s SM is more closely related to the Matterhorn. (In many ways an overgrown wild mouse coaster)

Space Mountain: Mission 2 (Disneyland Paris - Disneyland Park)

1. In many ways I felt that the previous SM queue and entry area were more similar to Star Tours without the heavy story elements of Star Tours or Mission Space. (Recall that the queue and load area of PoTC, even after the upgrades, is still a pretty blank slate in comparison to the newer attractions)

2. Alien? In a similar vein, “Revenge is a dish best served cold, and there is no place colder than space”, so cool the ride chamber to 50 degrees?:laugh:

3. I remember this from Macroeconomic Principles. Guns or butter.

I was just ranting anyway. I guess I was part of the minority that didn’t really have a problem with the pre-refurb SM other than some track smoothing, more frequent wheel replacement (or softer wheels), and maybe a bit more leg room in the cars.

This is the soft open period. As such, it is just as likely that the ride will close for a few hours, or even a full day for tweaking.
I expected as much ahead of the official reopening.

Baloo hopes now that they redid the inside, they might be able to put up DL’s “ghost” version of SM at Halloween time. Think this would be possible, anyone?

I never got to see this version, nor the Nightmare Before Christmas version of HM. I’m not sure what they do or how dependent it is on track layout. Remember that MK is a mirror imaged twin while DL is a single track. It might be that the dual track would force duplicate effects for both tracks.

However, I really do want to see a Nightmare overlay on Haunted Mansion. THAT should be very doable.

Had the honor of seeing (not riding yet but seeing) the new queue and the main loading area. HOLY COW THERE ARE NO WORDS TO DESCRIBE THE SERINITY. It really feels like a ship in space and the interactive stuff is just…you have GOT to see it yourself. So…perdy!

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1004795]I never got to see this version, nor the Nightmare Before Christmas version of HM. I’m not sure what they do or how dependent it is on track layout. Remember that MK is a mirror imaged twin while DL is a single track. It might be that the dual track would force duplicate effects for both tracks.

However, I really do want to see a Nightmare overlay on Haunted Mansion. THAT should be very doable.[/QUOTE]

I’m not sure what all they do for SM in DL either. I know there’s a ghost projection on the walls that seems to chase your car or something to that effect. It might be hard to do that with mirror tracks, unless they just use more ghosts…?

I would love to see Nightmare come to Florida’s HM too! I’ve watched a few youtube videos of DL’s version and it looks GREAT!