Speeding, smokers & AP's

Noticed police stationed around WDW. They actually had some drivers pulled over. I do think people tend to speed there. They are probably excited and in a hurry… but! 45 mph on Buena Vista Dr is a bit fast, imho.

Noticing people smoking around Epcot and along the promenade around the Epcot Resorts. Annoying to a non smoker. There are designated smoking spots, but I think people need to be reminded of that…

AP’s… what can I say. Like in “The Graduate.”… one word … plastics!!!
My wife and I were going into Epcot @ the International Gateway (IG), (after following some guy smoking a cigar from the Beach Club to the IG) when our cards didn’t work. Cm’s continue to bend them until I guess they break the strip. Got them reissued easily at the ticket booth at IG, but it’s the principle of the thing. Mine was from August and my wife’s from October and we need new cards already. Disneyland issues picture plastic AP’s. Why NOT WDW???

Frank

I’ve noticed some smokers pushing the limits around Disney lately also. In fact, someone was smoking on a balcony near mine. I said out loud, who in the world is smoking out here, and they disappeared, so I’m assuming they knew the rules, but just chose to break them for their convenience.

>> I’m assuming they knew the rules, but just chose to break them for their convenience.<<

I agree.
Frank

Oh, no… this could turn nasty. :laugh:

But I have to agree. There is a small contingent of smokers who are just hostile and defensive and entitled… probably because they’re so addicted… that think they can just smoke wherever they want to and screw anyone who’s bothered by it, to helicopter with the rules.

(I just read someone saying “what the helicopter?” and I just thought it was hilarious, so I had to use it.)

Such people are the minority (I think… because some of my dearest, dearest friends smoke), but since smoke is so pervasive it only takes one inconsiderate person for it to be nasty.

And I would really like to come up with something else to rant about, because I’m feeling the need to make this a good, purging rant thread… but I guess I’m just too mellow today.

I could rant about the AP’s, but I don’t like the alternative…like not having one<g>.
Frank

Living in Florida, I wonder how you can opine that 45 is too fast.
I say this because we are dealing with a 6 lane wide street, with NO pedestrians in a state where this type of road is given speed limits anywhere from 40 to 55.
Now, I will admit to doing 65 on World Drive, which is actually a limited access expressway, but I am also usually keeping up with most traffic, just like every other limited access expressway in the state.
Is it the excitement, or is it just that feeling of “let’s just get there already” like the rest of this state 24/7?

AP’s? In a lot of ways, I like the paper passes more. I can’t count now, how many times I’ve left home without my AP and simply and quickly got a replacement at any guest services window, for free. I even lost one in the MK while on my way to AK and didn’t have any problems.
Try that with a plastic photo ID like the other park chains.

Annoying to us people who smoke and follow the rules as well.

>>I say this because we are dealing with a 6 lane wide street, with NO pedestrians<<

I’ve been on that street as a pedestrian.

>in a state where this type of road is given speed limits anywhere from 40 to 55.<<

It’s Disney. Most people are excited, want to get somewhere, aren’t paying too much attention, etc.

>>Is it the excitement, or is it just that feeling of “let’s just get there already” like the rest of this state 24/7?<<

ROFL.
Frank

AP’s? In a lot of ways, I like the paper passes more. I can’t count now, how many times I’ve left home without my AP and simply and quickly got a replacement at any guest services window, for free. I even lost one in the MK while on my way to AK and didn’t have any problems.
Try that with a plastic photo ID like the other park chains.

Frank, I can’t imagine where or why you’d be walking on Buena Vista Dr, unless you were by DTD (which might have sidewalks).

Ahh, we always walk back and forth between DHS and the Epcot resort area.
We stay at the Swan or Dolphin at times.
When you walk back from DHS and come to the bridge, if you follow the path, it will take you up to Buena Vista Dr. You have to walk on the sidewalk across the bridge…not far, but we’ve stopped doing it because of the accident reports. Anyway, we’d walk across the bridge, down the other path to the cement walkway that goes to the “front” I guess of the Swan.
As I mentioned, now we just take the path to the Swan Bridge, I think is the actual name, and cross over to get back to the Swan or Dolphin.
Frank

I can’t believe Disney hasn’t gone non-smoking entirely yet. Up around this area certain counties even ban smoking outdoors in county parks, little league fields, golf courses, etc. Our state will go non-smoking May 1 in all restaurants and can’t wait. Disney should follow suit and ban it in all their parks, rooms and everywhere else. I know I may get some strong disagreement but this is happeneing everywhere now.

>>I can’t believe Disney hasn’t gone non-smoking entirely yet…Disney should follow suit and ban it in all their parks, rooms and everywhere else. I know I may get some strong disagreement but this is happeneing everywhere now.<<

I have to agree 100%.

Frank

Well, about the traffic… I know that once you pass under that FABULOUS sign, it is hard to know where to go… especially for first timers…especially at night…

We were coming from I-4, and going to the POFQ. Well, the directional signs said, “POFQ, next right” Well, about 30 feet later was the right turn to POFQ. If you are in the left lane-there is no chance that you have to get over… It can make for crazy driving… Just one example, but I think that their signs can be hard for first timers, especially, to follow…

Besides, when you cross under that sign all sense of normalcy goes out the window- you are in Fantasyland (and we all need it!).

We drive over from Tampa. Made the trip so many times I can’t remember. BUT when I see the “electric ears” at exit 62 on I4, I can’t help but get excited!!!
Frank

Maybe I am just lucky, but neither myself or anyone in my family has ever had to get a replacement AP in the many years we have been getting them. I don’t think I have ever even had a CM tinker with mine because it wasn’t working. Is it normal for people to have so many problems with them? Now that I have said this, I am sure I have jinxed myself for my trip in 4 weeks.

>>ut neither myself or anyone in my family has ever had to get a replacement AP in the many years we have been getting them.<<

CM at one of the turnstiles told me they do not like the paper AP’s, that they see loads of problems w them.

Frank

I admit to breaking the rules on smoking. I like to sit outside w/a cigar and beer to un-wind.

That is a bold statement that is very likely to get some very strong responses from both sides of the coin.

If the smokers who pay a premium to stay and play in WDW have no place in which they are allowed to smoke, don’t you think that would hurt the bottom line for WDW as a business? Some may feel the same about drinking in the parks. Drunk adults acting like idiots isn’t very magical to me. They are allowed to do that all over the place. Granted, drinking isn’t necessarily harmful to people who arent’ drinking like smoking can be when done in closed quarters, but it’s still annoying. I have plenty of things that we can debate about that I think should be banned from WDW.

Just in case you haven’t gotten a clue yet, I do smoke. I smoke in designated areas where I am suppose to and would never even think of doing otherwise. I don’t smoke near non smokers - in their homes, cars or around them and I am very considerate of others when I do indulge myself. I get into at least one heated debate during a WDW trip with a nonsmoker who decides to sit in a smoking place and complain about the smell of smoke and I love to fight with them.

the botton line, if the person is smoking where there are suppose to, what is it to you? If they are smoking walking around the park, I am the first person to mention to them where the smoking areas are and tell them they are not allowed to smoke. I personally think its dangerous to walk around with a lit cigarette in a crowded theme park on many different levels. Even when it was allowed, I didn’t do it.

[QUOTE=Dana;1029609]That is a bold statement that is very likely to get some very strong responses from both sides of the coin.

If the smokers who pay a premium to stay and play in WDW have no place in which they are allowed to smoke, don’t you think that would hurt the bottom line for WDW as a business? Some may feel the same about drinking in the parks. Drunk adults acting like idiots isn’t very magical to me. They are allowed to do that all over the place. Granted, drinking isn’t necessarily harmful to people who arent’ drinking like smoking can be when done in closed quarters, but it’s still annoying. I have plenty of things that we can debate about that I think should be banned from WDW.

Just in case you haven’t gotten a clue yet, I do smoke. I smoke in designated areas where I am suppose to and would never even think of doing otherwise.[/QUOTE]

Agree 100%, Dana…my wife and I are, for the most part, non-drinkers, and we are most definitely non-smokers. That said…someone staggering towards me obviously plastered is going to get me far more irritated than someone who is smoking in an open air environment while strolling the theme parks.

It’s a personal choice as to what offends someone. From my own personal experience…the majority of people who do light up in WDW, do so in the proper locales. If I went around attempting to police everyone who didn’t, I’d be ruining my own enjoyment. We can’t control the actions of anyone but ourselves…now if someone deliberately walked up and blew smoke in my face, there’d be an issue…it has never happened to me, and I really doubt it will…most people play nice on vacation, that’s good enough for me.

Like you said, it would not be in Disney’s best interests to make all parts of the World non-smoking…it isn’t going to hurt me one iota to take a few steps in another direction if someone is smoking near me.

In my opinion, making WDW completely non-smoking is a little bit like acting like “Big Brother” on their part.

[QUOTE=jerseymouse;1029616]Agree 100%, Dana…my wife and I are, for the most part, non-drinkers, and we are most definitely non-smokers. That said…someone staggering towards me obviously plastered is going to get me far more irritated than someone who is smoking in an open air environment while strolling the theme parks.

It’s a personal choice as to what offends someone. From my own personal experience…the majority of people who do light up in WDW, do so in the proper locales. If I went around attempting to police everyone who didn’t, I’d be ruining my own enjoyment. We can’t control the actions of anyone but ourselves…now if someone deliberately walked up and blew smoke in my face, there’d be an issue…it has never happened to me, and I really doubt it will…most people play nice on vacation, that’s good enough for me.

Like you said, it would not be in Disney’s best interests to make all parts of the World non-smoking…it isn’t going to hurt me one iota to take a few steps in another direction if someone is smoking near me.

In my opinion, making WDW completely non-smoking is a little bit like acting like “Big Brother” on their part.[/QUOTE]

Well said. Not only acting like big brother, but when the smokers no longer go to WDw, it will make your ticket prices ridiculously high.:laugh: