Spending money when you have the Dining Plan?

Hi

We’re booked for 2 weeks in December with the Disney Dining Plan (1 snack, 1 quick service, 1 table service per day), and I’m trying to work out how much spending money we’ll need. We will be spending 10 days at Disney theme parks, and 4 days offsite at Universal and Busch Gardens. There is only the two of us going (two adults). I reckon $900 would be enough but my DH doesn’t agree he thinks it will be much more, but as the main expense of a holiday is usually the food I can’t see why we’d need that much.

I’ve worked out that on top of the meals we’ll get with the plan we’ll need to pay for out of pocket the equivalent of 4 quick service meals and 3 table service meals plus a little bit extra cash for breakfasts for milk etc as we won’t have enough snack credits, and maybe a few additional snacks.

By the time we get there we’ll have paid for our Disney tours, Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party, theme park admissions, car hire and a dinner show off site. (The meals we’ll have to pay for mentioned above are mainly when we are not on disney property).

We aren’t big in to souvenirs so I can’t see us spending more than $50 on that kind of thing. I know that the DDP doesn’t cover tips and we will have to pay this for our table Service meals. I was also reading about Mousekeeping so thats a couple of bucks a day and if we get help with our bags that’s another tip. What else will we need money for?

Thanks for you’re thoughts.
Helen

It’s always better in my opinion to have a little more cash on you encase you need something etc… your DH might be right, I would take a little more just encase, that’s only me though.

He’s actually thinking more like $2,000, and thinks my estimate is extremely low. When I add up the extra we are likely to spend I only make it $700, so I’ve already added $200.

I agree w/ your DH :blush: I always bring a little more than I’m expecting to dish out. Don’t for get you have to pay tax, tip and any alcoholic beverage with your meals. I know it does not seem like a lot but it adds up FAST!!

I forget about Alcohol, though I have accounted for tips.

Is Tax on meals not included with the DDP? I just assumed it included Tax but excluded gratuities.

Cheers

To put in in perspective for you…we only go for a week and bring $1000 cash…usually have about $150 left over. lol

My DH and I are pretty much minimalist. We aren’t into a ton of souvenirs other than maybe a coffee mug or two, an ornament and maybe a sweatshirt. When we do the DP we budget $50 a day for the both of us. If we spend it it’s gone and if we don’t we just add it to the next day. We also both love a good cocktail and this works pretty well for us. So basically just think about how much you want to buy and then go from there.

you have to remember that tip is not included in the dining plan. It adds up quickly.
I agree with your husband.
We are not shoppers either, but we do stop in and have a drink here and there and grab a snack here and there…
Take what your husband suggests and be happy if you come home with some green still in your pocket :wink:

$100 per day plus have an extra hundred or two set aside for “whatevers”

We take some cash, but I like using my Disney Visa card for the points. I have never paid interest on my credit card, but use it for everything. So you could even do that, only take so much cash, leave the rest at home in the bank, take your credit card to use, pay it off when you get home.

I hate carrying alot of cash.

[QUOTE=sue299;997096]We take some cash, but I like using my Disney Visa card for the points. I have never paid interest on my credit card, but use it for everything. So you could even do that, only take so much cash, leave the rest at home in the bank, take your credit card to use, pay it off when you get home.

I hate carrying alot of cash.[/QUOTE]

Exactly how we do it! We have over 250 points/dollars to spend on this next vacation.

$2000 for alcohol for 2 weeks. That sounds about right.

We always budget around $1000 per week on spending.
We were in Disney for 2 weeks this spring and I figured out that we spent about $800 extra each week (we too had DDP). You will probably need more being that you are going off site as well.

Cheers Guys.

Does anyone know whether Tax is included with the DDP? I thought it was but am now doubting it.

Tax is included.

Thank you for confirming that, I was just doubting it after reading tinker2222’s post above.

I know…its crazy. Sometimes we get nickeled and dimed to DEATH…lol

I’ve also just realized with the DDP you don’t get an appetizer unless you’re a kid, and DH likes an appetizer now an again (I’m more of a dessert fan myself). So that’s a bit extra cash too.

I wish you could choose between an appit. or dessert.
Oh tax is included…YEY! Wasn’t too sure.

That would be better.