Spending Money?

Family of 6… How much spending money should I bring for souvenirs and food?
Staying 8 nights at Pop Century.Is $3,000 enough?

It so depends on how you vacation. You need to factor in table service vs counter, whether you eat breakfast in the room (we do to save money). Souvenirs, does everyone buy what they want, or a limit to one item? What I find easiest is to charge everything to the room key card, which is linked to my Disney Visa, have the entire bill charged to that Visa and then pay it off at home. That way, I’m not carrying that kind of cash with me, and I don’t have the stress of not having enough.

We have always gone to WDW with no more than 3-4 people, so I’m afraid I can’t help you much.

–But I too tend to charge most everything to my room and then pay it off with the Visa. That way, you can actually see what and how you spent the money. I dont take alot of cash–just enough for tips and food cart items–popcorn, drink things like that.

If I were you I would most certainly look up menus at allearsnet.com and look at possible food pricing.

Disney77 - look up the menus…I have never been w/o doing dining plan and we always leave the house with about $2000 but some of that is fuel and food money for there and back. We are family of 5.

Say just for souvenirs… No credit cards here… paid them all of. cash

for souveniers - $3k is MORE than enough. I am a cash guy myself and $2k pays for gas and food for 30 hr round trip drive and enough for souvenirs for our 5…oh and tip $$$.

thats $500 per person in souvenirs and extra (arcade, face paints, tatoos, characture, tips, etc)…if food is not involved in the $3k…you are set i think and i think safe. if food involved - look at menus and plan.

we swipe no cards at disney and carry all cash for stuff…i understand, i have never been on vacation not paid in cash. it is nice to come home and not have to pay for a vacation i already took

Just be careful with the cash! I will never forget our first trip to WDW and a gentleman in line was so upset, he had been pickpocketed and was saying they would have to go home. He was standing there with an empty money clip in his hand.
Heartbreaking for his family.
What about a debit card, then you can at least put a stop on it if it is lost or stolen?

Do you have a package? If so, have you considered adding the Quick Service Plan? That plan will save you money on food and cut what you need for spending money down significantly.

[QUOTE=FairyGranmama;1112984]Just be careful with the cash! I will never forget our first trip to WDW and a gentleman in line was so upset, he had been pickpocketed and was saying they would have to go home. He was standing there with an empty money clip in his hand.
Heartbreaking for his family.
What about a debit card, then you can at least put a stop on it if it is lost or stolen?[/QUOTE]

We stash our cash in 4 Different spots…My wife 1/4, I carry 1/4, we leave 1/4 hidden in the hotel, and we keep 1/4 in the car locked up…Yes, we increase our chances of it getting stolen or last by 4, but if one place gets picked we are still set. So far (fingers crossed), we have never lost a dime at WDW.

[QUOTE=dadofthree;1112900]for souveniers - $3k is MORE than enough. I am a cash guy myself and $2k pays for gas and food for 30 hr round trip drive and enough for souvenirs for our 5…oh and tip $$$.

thats $500 per person in souvenirs and extra (arcade, face paints, tatoos, characture, tips, etc)…if food is not involved in the $3k…you are set i think and i think safe. if food involved - look at menus and plan.

we swipe no cards at disney and carry all cash for stuff…i understand, i have never been on vacation not paid in cash. it is nice to come home and not have to pay for a vacation i already took[/QUOTE]

I do it the same way except I put half of my cash in Disney Gift Cards and have envelopes for each day to keep me on budget.

I have everything locked up. The only money ever on me is the money for the day. If someone wants to try and take it from my cold dead hand, that’s the only way they are getting it.:laugh:

We just figured out what food would cost out of pocket for 5 adults for an 8 night, 9 day trip. It came to $2500 with 8 table service meals and 9 quick meals and 9 snacks per person plus tip for the table service. We drink fountain water in the parks and bring a camelbak and get the resort mug so we don’t purchase beverages at the restaurants. Of course, I figured this out using the biggest ticket items on the menu so that we wouldn’t have any surprises. I also know that a lot of times the meals are too big for me and my girls, so we end up splitting a lot of meals. I doubt it will really cost us that much, but want to be prepared.

For souveniers, we make a list of things we want ahead of time and then don’t divert from that list. We usually get a few pins, a t-shirt or sweatshirt, Christmas ornaments one kitchen item and the kids get a stuffed animal. We budgeted $200 per person last trip and we had enough. My kids added a little bit to their kitty and came home with cash to spare (except for my son who bought a few clothing items he liked.)

I always try to figure our budget on a worse-case scenario so we end up bringing money home. Makes the trip way less stressful.

[QUOTE=jen9804;1113028]We just figured out what food would cost out of pocket for 5 adults for an 8 night, 9 day trip. It came to $2500 with 8 table service meals and 9 quick meals and 9 snacks per person plus tip for the table service. We drink fountain water in the parks and bring a camelbak and get the resort mug so we don’t purchase beverages at the restaurants. Of course, I figured this out using the biggest ticket items on the menu so that we wouldn’t have any surprises. I also know that a lot of times the meals are too big for me and my girls, so we end up splitting a lot of meals. I doubt it will really cost us that much, but want to be prepared.

For souveniers, we make a list of things we want ahead of time and then don’t divert from that list. We usually get a few pins, a t-shirt or sweatshirt, Christmas ornaments one kitchen item and the kids get a stuffed animal. We budgeted $200 per person last trip and we had enough. My kids added a little bit to their kitty and came home with cash to spare (except for my son who bought a few clothing items he liked.)

I always try to figure our budget on a worse-case scenario so we end up bringing money home. Makes the trip way less stressful.[/QUOTE]

Are you an accountant? Just asking b/c you budget like we do. The managers I pass budgets down to can’t figure out why I put the worst case budgets to them and ask them to operate on that…then every Christmas we hand them a big bonus for turning profits that would not have happened w/o following a conservative budget. Then a week later, they are fighting me on the budget again.

Anyway, we plan our vacation the same way…everyone gets steak, everyone gets a t-shirt and toy, we plan to buy at least 1 nice snowglobe, tatoos and facepaint at least one day for everyone, arcade money…we have never come home broke or had one second where we said “not enough $$$”, but it takes some planning and some saying no to other stuff.

[QUOTE=Dana;1113024]I do it the same way except I put half of my cash in Disney Gift Cards and have envelopes for each day to keep me on budget.

I have everything locked up. The only money ever on me is the money for the day. If someone wants to try and take it from my cold dead hand, that’s the only way they are getting it.:laugh:[/QUOTE]

I always put cash in our safe and just take out a little for incidentals each day—but we mostly charge to the room. I never thought about the Disney gift card. What a great idea for kids—I remember when my daughter was old enough to choose a souvenir and wanted to keep the money her gramma had given her, but I was nervous about her losing it. ie pulling out her wallet and the cash go blowing every which way. The Disney gift cards would have been a great idea!

My daughter is 18 and I still give her Disney Gift Cards to spend over cash. It keeps her on budget especially when we break it down by day. Once the money on the card is done, she’s done spending for the day. It makes her think carefully about what she is spending her money on and there is less impulse buying. I am taking two of my daughter’s friends, my friend and her two kids. I also suggested she do the same for both the kids. They will have the freedom to spend their own money the way they want to and you don’t really worry so much about them losing the one single card the way you do a wad of cash.

I will definitely keep this in mind—when I have GKs—someday----I hope—

My daughter is almost 25 now, and this will be the first trip we’ve made where she has a full time job–and is paying for her part of the trip. It sure is nice when they get to the point to offer to pay for YOUR meals…:laugh:

Seriously though, I am going to pass this tip along to friends. I don’t know why more people don’t think of this. Can you get the gift cards right in the hotel lobby?

[QUOTE=smallworld;1113035]I will definitely keep this in mind—when I have GKs—someday----I hope—

My daughter is almost 25 now, and this will be the first trip we’ve made where she has a full time job–and is paying for her part of the trip. It sure is nice when they get to the point to offer to pay for YOUR meals…:laugh:

Seriously though, I am going to pass this tip along to friends. I don’t know why more people don’t think of this. Can you get the gift cards right in the hotel lobby?[/QUOTE]

You can get them online, in grocery stores, drug stores and on property. It’s also a nice savings tool for kids. Sara used to take great pride in cashing in her money to buy her gift cards.

Ditto. I dare them to try and take my Dole Whip and Mickey Bar $$$$.:nuke::angry::pirate:

I guess it depends on how much you expect to spend on souvenirs. Every family is different. I’d sit the family down and discuss this before you go. Kids are so overwhelmed by all the merchandise - it’s so easy to go overboard and then when you get home, you think “what the heck was I thinking? When will I ever wear a Goofy hat again”? We use to set a daily limit - our kids were allow one small - and I emphasize small trinket a day and one large “gift” for the trip. That worked out pretty well for us and made our kids think a little more carefully about what they really wanted.

This was what we did…one little trinket a day, and then a stuffed animal or something as the big take home. This gave my daughter time to see things each day that she might want to take home as her “big” souvenir at the end of our trip…