Spoodles Closing

I just read on another board that Spoodles will be closing and replaced by a Greek/Mediterranean themed restaurant headed by celebrity chef Cat Cora in Fall 2009.

Does anyone else know more about this? We have reservations at Spoodles for two weeks from now and I can’t seem to find info on when the restaurant will actually close.

I saw this in Twitter . . . via allears.net

Celebrity Chef Cat Cora To Open New Walt Disney World Restaurant (Disney News Blog)

Celebrity Chef Cat Cora To Open New Walt Disney World Restaurant
cora.jpg

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. (March 17, 2009) – Chef Cat Cora and Disney are joining together to open an exciting new family dining restaurant at Disney’s BoardWalk Resort. Kouzzina by Cat Cora will feature a menu of Mediterranean-style cuisine that pays tribute to the chef’s Greek roots.

The restaurant, to be owned and operated by Disney, is scheduled to open by fall 2009 in the space currently occupied by Spoodles.

“I am pleased to welcome Cat Cora and her engaging new concept for Kouzzina to the Walt Disney World Resort,” said Jay Rasulo, chairman, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. “This collaboration between Cat and Disney represents a significant step in our ongoing commitment to offer unique culinary experiences and choices for our guests.”

As a Mississippi native born to a family of Greek restaurateurs, Cora grew up immersed in two different and flavorful cultures , and has taken from that unique background the kitchen “know-how” handed down through generations. The cuisine at Kouzzina (Greek for “kitchen” and pronounced “koo-zee-nah”) will showcase Mediterranean cuisine and Chef Cora’s philosophy to create simple yet sensational meals.

Cora said that the new restaurant will feature “time-honored recipes passed down from my ancestors, as well as my favorite Greek and Mediterranean dishes that my family loves.”

She began working with Disney in 2008 by creating a Disney Video on Demand series to showcase ways to help families develop more healthy eating habits. “I’m extremely excited about this latest extension of my relationship with Disney,” she said. “Together, we’re going to develop a truly amazing contemporary Mediterranean restaurant.”

The first and only female Iron Chef on Food Network’s hit show “Iron Chef America,” Cora is a graduate of the Culinary Institute of America in New York. She also is Executive Chef for Bon Appétit magazine. In addition to hosting the instructional cooking demonstrations for Disney Video on Demand, Cora has been a featured chef at the Epcot International Food & Wine Festival and at Disney’s California Food & Wine Festival at Disneyland Resort.

I am loving that kinda of menu. That sounds great. I thought Spoodles was just ok, so this sounds good if they can give a great menu with good quality food.

We ate at Spoodles a few years back; it was good. I’ll be sorry to see Spoodles go, but happy to try a new restaurant. I love Greek and Mediterranean food! Opa!

Quick! Somebody get in touch with Cavey and give him the bad news!
for that matter, let Mickey know, this used to be one of his favorites too.

We ate there three times last year. Breakfast in January, dinner in October, plus we had Caveyfest there in December.
Well, we kept calling it Caveyfest although Cavey had bowed out several months before and never made any reservations and Tigger and I kind of kept it together with me running down the reservation. And with a much bigger projected party, we wound up at Spoodles instead of the originally planned Whispering Canyon because we needed to have locked in a party of 30 by Labor Day for an event in early December.

I enjoyed Spoodles, but the Greek Resturant at Pointe Orlando is really, really good and fun, so this might be a nice addition to the Boardwalk.

What WDW needs is a table service or buffet that specializes in pit BBQ and fried shellfish!

I enjoyed Spoodles and will hate to see it close. I do love Greek food, so while I will miss Spoodles, I will look forward to trying her restaurant the next time I venture to the mouse house.

Spoodles is our favorite stop for breakfast. We never had to wait, the food was always good, and the servers always friendly. We’ll miss it.
I don’t get the impression that the new place will have breakfast so where will we be able to just drop in and eat? The bakery isn’t my idea of breakfast, and I don’t usually make too many breakfast ADRs (because we like Spoodles). WOW - my husband’s going to be really depressed!

[QUOTE=M5ward;945184]
I don’t get the impression that the new place will have breakfast so where will we be able to just drop in and eat? The bakery isn’t my idea of breakfast, and I don’t usually make too many breakfast ADRs (because we like Spoodles). WOW - my husband’s going to be really depressed![/QUOTE]

You raise a really good point!
Breakfast options are really slim at the Boardwalk and this would only drive an overload over to Cape May or (shudder) force dining plan guests to have to pay OOP at Swolphin.

So, as I read this, the thing that came to mind was, “Talk about a game of Cat and Mouse…”

:blush:Bad pun. Sorry. Carry on.

I’ll miss Spoodles but this new restaurant sounds wonderful, and something different for WDW!

Wow, this thread ought to bring Cavey out of hiding…

Well, wasn’t Spoodles suppose to be Mediterranean in the first place? It started out like that then it kinda petered out. Good thing Cavey isn’t hear to read about it.

Hmmm…never thought about the Swan or Dolphin. I’ll have to check into that. The breakfast/character buffets are nice and fun, but sometimes I just want to sit down and have somebody serve me a nice plate of eggs and bacon, a hot cup of green tea, and some dripping with butter toast (it is Disney, after all) that I didn’t have to dish up for myself.

Very cool! We love Greek food and Cat Cora is fun to watch on the Food Network. Especially Iron Chef. Never went to Spoodles :blush:.

This is exciting to me, I really like Cat Cora on Food Network.

We love Spoodles and will hate to see it go.

The new concept sounds like a winner though! We will be there…

“Mediterranian-style cuisine that pays tribute to the chef’s Greek roots” quoted from WDW News Today Sounds interesting. I am sad to see Spoodles closing but it is nice to see WDW change things up from time to time.

Sounds like it will be a good restaurant to try. I know my husband likes that kind of food. We never tried Spoodles, so I can’t say much about it.