Spring Break Trip _ I have a ton to learn

Well, we are back. I am doing my duty on the trip report although exhausted. Overall, it was a good trip and the kids had a blast. I am worn out and frustrated. My oldest is in sixth grade and about to be 12. We have been at each other a lot lately…I was looking forward to this trip as a chance to just relax with him. We fought just as much and I do not know if this trip helped any. I have worked for 20 years in the youth ministry…parents seek my advice about teens on a daily basis. When our church is without a youth a pastor I fill that void and during each occasion our group grows leaps and bounds. Relating to teens is a gift both my wife and I have. On Thursday, while talking to my wife, I realized something. During my 20 years of working with teens, the age I CANNOT stand is 7th and 8th grade boys. They grate my nerves to no end and always have…its then the light bulb went off, I HAVE ONE ENTERING THAT AGE.
I just dont get it, why is it that if I ask you to stop running your hand down EVERY RAIL or WALL at WDW do we have to act like its the end of your life…I mean it is constant testing boundaries and constant little corrections that dont have to be a big deal turned into BIG DEALS. The look below is the look he got when we told him it was too cold to go to water park…he wore this look for a good 30 minutes.
Dont get me wrong - he is a GREAT kid. Very little trouble at school besides talking, makes good grades, he doesnt cause us trouble at home with any of the major issues…he is just becoming a master at over dramatizing ALL things good or bad and it is driving me crazy.

[QUOTE=dadofthree;1131347]Well, we are back. I am doing my duty on the trip report although exhausted. Overall, it was a good trip and the kids had a blast. I am worn out and frustrated. My oldest is in sixth grade and about to be 12. We have been at each other a lot lately…I was looking forward to this trip as a chance to just relax with him. We fought just as much and I do not know if this trip helped any. I have worked for 20 years in the youth ministry…parents seek my advice about teens on a daily basis. When our church is without a youth a pastor I fill that void and during each occasion our group grows leaps and bounds. Relating to teens is a gift both my wife and I have. On Thursday, while talking to my wife, I realized something. During my 20 years of working with teens, the age I CANNOT stand is 7th and 8th grade boys. They grate my nerves to no end and always have…its then the light bulb went off, I HAVE ONE ENTERING THAT AGE.
I just dont get it, why is it that if I ask you to stop running your hand down EVERY RAIL or WALL at WDW do we have to act like its the end of your life…I mean it is constant testing boundaries and constant little corrections that dont have to be a big deal turned into BIG DEALS. The look below is the look he got when we told him it was too cold to go to water park…he wore this look for a good 30 minutes.
Dont get me wrong - he is a GREAT kid. Very little trouble at school besides talking, makes good grades, he doesnt cause us trouble at home with any of the major issues…he is just becoming a master at over dramatizing ALL things good or bad and it is driving me crazy.[/QUOTE]

Oh “Dad”—my Mom’s favorite “This too shall pass…” comes to mind. Hang in there—he will come back around…It sounds like he has good “roots” for grounding…

Test, test, test!
Hang in there- I have a rail holder/slider too… I explained germs to him, and it helped for about 5 minutes…
Those boundary testing ages are so hard… you are not alone.

ok, back to trip report…just venting a little and this will be a theme in this report:blink:

Departure Day (Friday) - I took off work about 11am and got the princess from the baby sitter. We ran errands and packed the Yukon. At about 1pm, I went and checked the boys out of School, When we got home we all got baths and put on comfortable clothes for the long ride. The wife got off work a little early and got home about 3:30 and we were off at 4:30. We stopped in Tuscaloosa and met a former youth I had when I was over our youth group a few years ago. Sweetest teen ever. One Wed night I had to call the DHS on her guardians for some issues, she ended up going home with me that night and lived with us for a few months. That was a strange night when I called my wife to tell her I was bringing this kid home and that she was a girl and that she was a cutie. My wife took to her immediately and she became like one of ours. She moved to AL with her mom when things settled down and every WDW trip is a chance to see her.

A few hours after seeing her, the kids all fell asleep and the rest of the ride was very quiet…call it the calm before the storm.

We pulled into the hotel about 7am…Fairly easy to find. We checked in and freshened up in the lobby bathroom, caught a bus to MK, and then walked to the Contempary for Chef Mickeys when we saw this beautiful site.

I have a twelve yr old son, soon to be 13…I totally get it!! Although, mine doesn’t give face, he dishes out silence.

Can’t wait to read the rest of your TR.

Good start to a TR.

Good luck with the kids. I’d like to say hang it there, it will get better eventually but i’m still waiting for that myself.:blink: I have zero attitude from my DD13, nothing but attitude from DD18 and as long as we leave DD14 alone and don’t try to rock the boat in her world of drama all is good. It’s a lose-lose situation for all us parents, until we become g’parents. Then it’s payback time :laugh::laugh:

So, Arrival Day continued on to Chef Mickeys. At this point I have realized we have left the camera in the Yukon at the resort and I just have my Iphone pics which I do not know how to edit…so sorry for sideways shots.

My wife has most of the pics from Arrival day on her Iphone which I have not uploaded on my computer yet but will soon.

Chef Mickeys was wonderful, and IMO is the best meal to start your trip. After breakfast, we took the Monorail to EPCOT and then walked out the back and hopped on a boat to HS. Got in and got FP for Tower of Terror for the wife and oldest son. The rest of us got FP for Star Tours and then we met up at Muppets 3D. We watched that and did a little shopping, all rode Star Tours bc wait time was 10 minutes, and then went to Hollywood and Vine for PLay and Dine.

I have to say this was my second least favorite meal. We will not repeat this one.

After lunch we went and fullfilled our FP’s and then met at the hat and went back to see if our room was ready bc I had not gotten a text yet saying it was. I got back to resort and room was ready but NO text … which, I have NEVER gotten a text confirming the room was ready.

Arrival Day Continued - After finding the room and lugging the luggage to it. We all showered and got about a 30 minute power nap. We then set course to EPCOT where we had Tutto Italia waiting on us. It was very good. It was a first for us and will be put on the repeat plans for our family. We found out that my kids - ALL of them from 4 to 11 LOVE calamari.

After supper, we went and hopped on Nemo and then we wandered into a our traditional Illuminations viewing spot with very little trouble or hours of seat holding. I LOVE Illuminations.

That is age to test boundaries for sure. I found that picking battles that matter was a more effective parenting tool. If you control the heck out of every move they make and nag them to death, you are less effective when things count.

My Mom would nag the crap out of me. Why are you doing that? why are you walking that way? Will you stop slouching… I honestly didn’t hear half the things she said to me because it was one long stream of nagging that had nothing to do with anything. It honestly effected what I told her later in life. She complained about everything I did and how I did it because it was the way she wanted me to do it - control freak much? Later in life and still to this day, I tell her nothing about myself or what I do because she always knows a better way to do it or tells me why I did it wrong. The point here? your actions now will create the tone for the relationship later when it matters.

When dealing with my daughter, if she wasn’t directly annoying anyone or if she wasn’t holding up a walking path or doing something that directly effected someone’s enjoyment, she could have crab-walked all the way through Disney for all I cared. She used to walk on the little curb-like ledge near the world showcase and hold on to the fence and was always careful to stop and go around people who were there. She was 13 btw, not a little kid. I probably could have and should have told her not to do that, but why? What difference does it make? None. I can’t tell you how often I wish she would act random or do something weird or off like skip for no reason or make sound effects as she run her hand down a wall while we are walking. She’s so serious most of the time now…I miss the randomness of her childlike nonsense.

Dana - I am fighting the balancing act. Boys at this age are all over the place and that includes physically…I mean if my 8 yr old starts playing a game of jump over every sidewalk crack - he can’t cover a huge space or hurt anyone…my 11 yr old can jump 4 ft and wind up bumping into a stroller. I’m trying, the wife is trying to help me understand the battles I have with pushing too hard. Anyway, we are having a break in TR to do 1 thing we do well together - time for baseball practice.

Also, it was crowded - we did talk about how much easier it would have been to let go if it were not so packed

That stresses things! When it is so crowded everything becomes much harder to do… like an uphill battle…

I have been there!

oh I understand. Girls are all over the place at that age as well and emotionally which is not so fun…lol

Day 2 - we had breakfast at O’hana. We caught the bus to MK and then caught monorail to O’hana for 7:30 and 4 yr old DD had BBB at 8:40 AND we were running a little late. The staff did a great job seating us and getting through. The wife and DD were able to eat and see characters and left for BBB. The boys and I stayed behind and waited on the check and enjoyed the scenerey.

As soon as we got in the park, the oldest DS traded a pin and got this one…hmmm, was this a sign of things to come.

We got to castle to BBB at about this stage of the makeover

Pic of lobby at Polynesian

Day 2 Continued - BBB

Below is the before and after.

The DD Fairy Godmother in Training was named Katie and she was INCREDIBLE. I do not know if you can request one but if can…get her. I cannot tell you how impressed the wife was with her. The boys and I rode thunder mountain after we checked on them…I have a video of that I will post later. So here are some BBB pics. I tipped Katie $20 and I wish I would have researched that more bc she was VERY GOOD

btw - O’hana was a first too and will be set on repeat for future trips

the pin didnt post so here ya go

So did you buy the dress at BBB or did you buy it before?

And I’d like to hear more about how your DD4 felt about it. (I need to know if it’s a must-do or if my princess can go through life without it.)

(And Dana? Your method with kids is exactly why my DS11 has worn shorts EVERY DAY of the school year. I kept expecting the school to call me about my clear neglect. But shorts are all he wants to wear, I thought he was crazy but not in danger of dying… decided it’s not a battle I want to fight.)

loving your trip report even though i am totally cringing seeing your daughter not buckled in a car seat… sorry… car seat nazi here…

well all I can say is I am with you been through this with two step sons they are finally growing out of it. and startig with our two girls the girls are worse than boys I think. Good Luck.