Ssn's 40th bday & Thanksgiving TR

Well after all the planning I did for close to a year and a half - things sort of fell apart literally the day I was leaving for our 10 day trip.

A little background… for my 40th bday I decided that instead of having a “surprise” party I wanted to celebrate with my DH, DD8 and my parents at WDW. I wanted to show my parents a great time, so we booked rooms at the Poly. So DD didn’t miss too much school we decided to go Thanksgiving week. DD, DH and I booked 4 nights at the POP and then on 6 nights at the Poly. My parents were to join us at the Poly for 5 nights.

So about a month ago my father had been trying to get a new life insurance policy so he’s had to go for all kinds of medical testing. After a series of tests he is referred to a cardiologist for further testing. My dad is 63 and is in great physical shape. He plays tennis and raquetball 3-4 times a week and is always doing work outside. Long story short his tests still are irregular and is scheduled for an angiogram the day I am leaving. Noone seems especially worried since he is in such good health (normal blood pressure, low cholesteral and no symptoms). Well 1 hour before I am due to leave to go to the airport my mom calls to say he had 3 blockages and need triple bypass surgery!!! Couldn’t believe it - it was so terrible. Once I calmed down a little my mom said to still go on the trip since they didn’t know when the surgery would be scheduled, they were sending him home until he could meet with the surgeon.

…so I pick up DD at school and I was just in a daze. I didn’t want to tell her anything b/c she would be so upset and scared. I decided that once we found out when the surgery was scheduled we would change our flight and come home. Since the day we found out was Thurs, they felt pretty certain that it wouldn’t be until Monday.

It was so hard to act like everything was fine, when inside I was a wreck. I wanted to burst out crying at every minute. It was such a hard decision to make whether or not to go on the trip. My father probably would never have spoken to me again had we cancelled. He is the type that wants noone to fuss over him and he especially would be mad if we took this trip from DD.

So you have this terrible background…and I am glad we did the trip since my dad’s surgery isn’t scheduled until this Thurs. 2 weeks after his diagnosis! He’s been going to work everyday and taking it easy.

So…on to the trip…

Ack! What a way to start. Hope your DF is ok.

We flew Southwest - I just love Southwest. They really have their act together. Things run so smoothly and their flight attendants are so friendly.

Arrived in Orlando 7:45pm, picked up our luggage and heading to the ME counter. Walked right on the bus and headed to the POP. So I never stayed at the POP before. Well I really liked the resort, the themeing was great, the food court very good, pools fun - but the rooms are just so small. I felt like I was in a cave. The beds are very comfy. I slept like a rock there. We were in the 50’s building on the 4th floor. Liked the room location alot - very close to the main buildling.

I was really cold at night - so a short walk from the bus stop was great.

Since I really can’t remember all the day to day stuff I will write about the highlights. We did alot of things for the 1st time this trip.

On Fri the 22nd we did MVMCP. Wow this was great - but it was so cold out I almost couldn’t enjoy it. I was hot cocoed out by the end of the night! The fireworks were incredible, the parade so good and Mickey’s Twas the night before Christmas show was so cute.

We had dinner at the Crystal Palace this night. Well I dont’ know if it was my frame of mind given all that I had on my mind - but for the 1st time ever (Crystal Palace is our favorite WDW restaurant!) I was disappointed in the CP! It started when I ordered a pink lemonade and was told that they only had regular lemonade - I always had pink lemonade at CP - it’s tradition! Then I go up to the buffet to get my other favorite - the asiago, mushroom and chicken pasta just to learn that it had been replaced with a primavera pasta :eek:. Well I got over it and I was given a bday cupcake and a card from pooh and friends.

We stayed at the party until the end and enjoyed the short lines - and of course the castle! Wow, words just can’t explain those lights.

Oh, we were on the dining plan and we loved it! It was so great to not worry about how much a meal cost. We paid OOP for breakfast at CM’s one morning and I nearly had a heart attack when I paid $75 for breakfast (for 3 of us!)

more tomorrow…

The grass is always greener, haha, DH and I ALWAYS wish we could visit WDW when it’s ‘cold’ out. We don’t mind cooler temps at all, it energizes me! I am sick of going during the hot months. :pinch:

I am glad you enjoyed MVMCP even though you were on a cocoa high! :laugh: We got to see the castle all lit up like that last year & I’ll never forget it. Takes your breath away, right? :happy:

[QUOTE=ssn;909098]Since I really can’t remember all the day to day stuff I will write about the highlights. We did alot of things for the 1st time this trip.

On Fri the 22nd we did MVMCP. Wow this was great - but it was so cold out I almost couldn’t enjoy it. I was hot cocoed out by the end of the night! The fireworks were incredible, the parade so good and Mickey’s Twas the night before Christmas show was so cute.

We had dinner at the Crystal Palace this night. Well I dont’ know if it was my frame of mind given all that I had on my mind - but for the 1st time ever (Crystal Palace is our favorite WDW restaurant!) I was disappointed in the CP! It started when I ordered a pink lemonade and was told that they only had regular lemonade - I always had pink lemonade at CP - it’s tradition! Then I go up to the buffet to get my other favorite - the asiago, mushroom and chicken pasta just to learn that it had been replaced with a primavera pasta :eek:. Well I got over it and I was given a bday cupcake and a card from pooh and friends.

We stayed at the party until the end and enjoyed the short lines - and of course the castle! Wow, words just can’t explain those lights.

Oh, we were on the dining plan and we loved it! It was so great to not worry about how much a meal cost. We paid OOP for breakfast at CM’s one morning and I nearly had a heart attack when I paid $75 for breakfast (for 3 of us!)

more tomorrow…[/QUOTE]

Amen to that, I am ALWAYS amazed when I look at those receipts & am SO thankful we do the basic dining plan on every trip! SOOOO worth it!

[QUOTE=ssn;909098]Since I really can’t remember all the day to day stuff I will write about the highlights. We did alot of things for the 1st time this trip.

more tomorrow…[/QUOTE]
Isn’t that castle beautiful with those sparkly lights? An awesome sight.

I am wondering if your parents ever made it to WDW. It almost doesn’t sound like it.

I am sooo sorry to hear about your dad. I hope everything is ok. Can’t wait to hear more of the trip. Was it real cold. I can’t figure out what to pack for dec.

[QUOTE=WishUponAStar;909121]The grass is always greener, haha, DH and I ALWAYS wish we could visit WDW when it’s ‘cold’ out. We don’t mind cooler temps at all, it energizes me! I am sick of going during the hot months. :pinch:

I am glad you enjoyed MVMCP even though you were on a cocoa high! :laugh: We got to see the castle all lit up like that last year & I’ll never forget it. Takes your breath away, right? :happy:[/QUOTE]

We were pretty excited to be in WDW during a cooler month too. We’ve always been during hot months and that gets well- sweaty. I love wearing shorts, flip flops and a sweatshirt. The days were perfect for that. When going to the parks at night, however, that was a different story. Had I been more prepared with warmer clothes it would have been no problem, but who would’ve thought to bring heavy jeans and a winter coat to Florida! :crying:

[QUOTE=Dopey;909180]Isn’t that castle beautiful with those sparkly lights? An awesome sight.

I am wondering if your parents ever made it to WDW. It almost doesn’t sound like it.[/QUOTE]

Yes, the castle is breath taking…

No my parents didn’t make the trip. That was upsetting, but we still had a nice vacation!

Thanks for the well wishes. My dad is Ok now, just stressed waiting. He feels fine, it’s really weird. The surgery is this Thurs and we’re all pretty nervous about it. The good part is by Christmas he should be good as new!

that just means that you will have to plan another trip when is felling better… Tell him to get better soon!

So onto more reviews while they are fresh in my head still.

Went to AK and finally went to the Nemo show. It is sooooo well done, we really loved this. Here is a pic of the Christmas tree and the park entrance:

We had lunch at Pizzafari. I had (from allears)
Hot Italian Style Sandwich with Carrot Sticks or Chips - Turkey, ham, Swiss and Provolone Cheese topped with Caesar salad and pesto marinated tomatoes,

DH had Chicken Parm Sandwich and DD had kids meal Pizza. DH and I had apple pie for dessert and DD had Choc Chip cookie. As a side note at almost all of the CS restaurants the kids meal sides are the same: grapes, applesauce, carrot sticks and sugar free jello. for the first few days DD loved the grapes and applesauce. By the end of the week she said she was so sick of grapes! She likes variety and unfortunately those meals don’t offer much of that!

My sandwich was fantastic - I really liked it! DH’s chicken was really tender, but I didn’t really like the sauce. The apple pie was like a little rustic pie with the sides folded up - very good!

Everything Pop - the food court at the Pop was really good! WE had breakfast there most mornings.

The 1st morning I had a breakfast pizza. Thinking back it sounds a little gross, but it was pretty good! It was a pizza crust with gravy (like the kind for biscuits and gravy) then scrambled eggs, bacon and cheese! Weird yes - and good! The next day I had a croissant breakfast sandwich.

DD liked the kids platter, which was scrambled eggs, bacon (and a sausage but we substited for more bacon) and grapes. Another day she had mickey waffles - always a fav too!

DH had the adult platter which was the same as the kids but with more.

I thought this CS meal gave you so much for your dining plan credit. Along with your breakfast, the adult meals, you get either 2 drinks or a drink and anything that counts as a snack credit! Most days we would get 1 drink and these big fresh fruit cups.

One afternoon we had lunch here. DD wanted the veggie calzone, but that was only offered on the adult menu. I got it and gave it to her and then I ordered the kids meal veg lo mein for me and then we shared. DH had the reuben flatbread. All of it was really good. The veggie calzone had spinach, cheese, tomatoes and peppers in it. The veg lo mein was excellent and the reuben was interesting, but good!

All in all - this food court is much better than most of the deluxe hotels I’ve stayed at (especially the Beach Club!)

I am so sorry about your dad!!! I hope he will be OK. Good luck with the surgery, he is in my thoughts and prayers!

We were there last week, too. Maybe we passed each other…not likely, since we only spent 3 days in the parks. My daughter and I got so sick, we each had to go to the Emergency Room in Celebration on two occasions. Nice to have Strep Throat and Bronchitus on vacation, huh? :blink:

I can’t wait to hear more about your trip!!! Happy 40th, btw! :happy:

Restaurant Marrakesh. This was DH’s only request so I had to comply! I really wasn’t excited about it, but what the heck!

Here is the belly dancer:

This is what I ordered:
Sultan Sampler - grilled brochette of either beef or chicken served with a Beef Brewat Roll and Chicken Bastilla served with vegetable couscous $21.95

DH had:
Berber Feast - jasmina salad, roast lamb meshoui, chicken kabob and seasonal fruit salad $25.95 per person

and DD:
Moroccan Pasta - Served with meatballs in tomato sauce $6.95

So, did you enjoy Marrekesh? It’s one of my favorites, but I know it’s not for everyone.

By the way… Happy 40th!

Mine was included on the dining plan, but for DH’s they said it was $5.95 add’l to the plan. DH liked all his food. My chicken kebab was good and the couscous was really good, but the other 2 things were strange. Chicken wrapped in phyllo dough fried with sugar and cinammon on top. I didn’t like the combination.

For dessert I had
Moroccan Symphony - Assorted pastries $5.95
They were 3 different pastries all wrapped in phyllo dough and fried with sweet nutty centers.

DH’s combo plate came with fruit salad with some syrupy sauce for dessert.

All in all we were glad we tried it. It wasn’t bad, it just didn’t knock our socks off. This part of our trip we were on free dining so it was good to try it.