Ssn's easter week trip!

Just came back from WDW this past Thurs. Stayed 4/4 - 4/12 and we rented points to stay at VWL.

Not going to do a whole trip report, but just thought I give some observations at going to Disney at one of the busiest times of the year! Now we’ve been in the summer, Thanksgiving, 4th of July and Christmas time - but the crowds leading up to Easter Sunday were the biggest we’ve seen!

We arrived the Thurs before Easter - just love Magical Express. Love the freedom of just getting off the plane & getting on the bus to the resort. Flew JetBlue and had a great experience there too. Got to WL at 10:30am. I had done online check-in and our room was ready with the keys already printed out in our packet.

Now besides renting points - which saved us a whole lot of $ during a holiday week, I did a few other things to save a few bucks. I purchased our park tix thru Undercover Tourist last year - so I was able to buy tix before the prices went up this year. (At check-in the CM was able to add these tix to our room key/dining plan/charging card, so we only had to carry around 1 card each.

Another money saving tip was on my dining plan. Since DD11 now has to pay adult prices the dining plan was much more expensive for us this year. Although she’s very small for her age, the dining plan was still a good option for us. She hated the limited choices on the kids plan, so she was so happy to be able to order adult options. So anyway -on another board I read about the Target RedCard. The card is used as a debit card & is linked right to your checking account. When using the card you get 5% off all purchase (including all gift cards, other than Target cards) Also, if you use their pharmacy for your prescriptions you get another 5% coupon that you can add to the other 5%. So…I purchased $1,025.00 of Disney Gift Cards to put towards my dining plan & got 10% off them! It wasn’t a problem at all except the poor girl I rented the points from is the one who had to read all the card #'s over the phone to the Disney CM to add the plan for me!

Thanks! Debit cards make me nervous, but that’s great to know about Target.

The cashier at the Target was trying to explain that to me, but I was in a rush. HA! I get it now - thanks for clarifying that.

I am happy you found a few ways to save some money. I love to save!!

What were your thoughts on staying at VWL?

Villas at Wilderness Lodge:

Well this was our first time staying at a DVC so I can’t really compare it to other DVCs but we LOVED VWL! The size of the resort is pretty small compared to others so it was so easy to get everywhere.

The bus stops for the whole resort are right outside the villas & the boat dock is a short walk.

The buses weren’t bad. Typically we didn’t wait too long for a bus, but you do share buses with other resorts. Some with Fort Wilderness and others with Grand Flo. It wasn’t bad, but you definitely need to allow an hour to get anywhere. The boat was a nice option to the MK and some days we found ourselves taking it to go to Epcot too (t MK got on monorail to TTC then changed monorail at TTC to Epcot).

The room itself was good. It could’ve used some serious dusting, but it was dark furniture so that may be why it showed up so much. The vents were loaded with dust bunnies though - if only I thought to pack some swifers :blush:!

The bed & pillows were super comfy and we had great night sleeps there. The pullout couch on the other had was what you’d expect a pullout couch to be & I don’t think I would’ve liked sleeping on it. DD11 on the other had liked it very much and never complained.

Staying in a DVC I was a little worried about not having daily mousekeeping & especially not getting fresh towels. It wasn’t a problem though and just made us tidy up after ourselves each day (it was also good when we took a break midday to know we wouldn’t be interrupting the cleaning). On day 3 we came back to our room and fresh towels had replaced the used ones. That was nice!

Since there were just 3 of us we stayed in a studio. We eat breakfast in the room each day so having a toaster and microwave worked out great. Garden Grocer (whom I highly recommend) delivered our groceries on our arrival day & we were all set for the week.

Renting points for this trip allowed us to stay at a deluxe hotel for a really good price. We paid $100 less than what POFQ would’ve been for the week.

We loved the themeing of the resort as it made you feel very cozy! The location is great of you plan on alot of MK days. Getting to Epcot & HS is a little inconvenient, but not too bad. We will definitely stay here again…

next up…thoughts on the dining plan

Thanks for sharing! Don’t forget pictures!

Great mini TR! Can’t wait to hear what you think about the DDP.