SSR or OKW?

I’m planning my DVC points for 2010 and was thinking of staying at OKW? I’ve been to SSR and liked it. OKW looks just as large (if not larger) but I like the theming of the room. What is everyone’s thought on OKW? Best location to be close to everything (or a short walk) and close to a bus stop??? AT SSR was in the Grandstand section, in the building right next to the quiet pool and first bus stop at the resort. It was also a fairly short walk to the main building for Magical Express and to get to the restaurants. It was perfect. Is there a place similar at OKW???

Thanks!

I love SSR but I really love OKW. We stayed in building 24 which was less then a min to the bus and about 2 mins(-/+) to HH.
http://allears.net/acc/okwmap.jpg

We have done both a few times, we get a 2 bedroom villa, we are DVC members.

SSR is great if you stay at Congress Park, then you can walk to DTD, that is a selling point right there for me.

The rooms at SSR are a little smaller than OKW, but both are nice.

For OKW I would try to stay close to the carraige house if you can, normally we try to request that area but the rooms always seem not to be ready, so we opt for a room that is ready, I really could stay anyplace in OKW and be happy. I do like the lower level if that is available. I do like the tropical island theme of OKW.

We are staying at SSR this year, I am looking forward to the change, we have done OKW the past couple years, and just being able to walk to DTD is huge for us, I like to walk over in 15 mins and not have to wait for a bus.

I like SSR, but that’s just my opinion.

OKW is our favourite hands down - but I really like SSR too - especially the new Grandstand area.

Depends on what you are looking for with respect to closeness. If you want to be close to the Hospitality House, Olivia’s, main swimming pool, club house, ferry, etc. the best villas are ll, 12, 13, 16, 62, 63, 64 - with 62 being the primo-supreme (but hard to get).

For a bit of a longer walk (maybe 3 to 5 minutes) 17 and 18 on Miller Road are good - and very close to the bus stop. 18 is next to the quiet pool and the most secluded (you’ll feel you’re in the middle of a tropical garden). Our very favourite is 45 - further from the “action” (but maybe a 7 to 10 minute walk), but on the banks of the Sassagoula - pure tranquility.

OKW has the largest rooms of all the DVC properties and huge balconies which are like a room in themselves.

I have stayed at OKw twice and enjoyed it very much. I don’t think it’s as large as SSR though. If you can’t get a building in the 60’s, do go for building 19 or 20. They surround a quiet pool, have a bus stop right in between the buildings and that bus stop is the second to last out of the resort. Those building are also a not-so-long walk to the main areas. I would definately ask for that section again if I could get it.

[QUOTE=zefyr;889181]I’m planning my DVC points for 2010 and was thinking of staying at OKW? I’ve been to SSR and liked it. OKW looks just as large (if not larger) but I like the theming of the room. What is everyone’s thought on OKW? Best location to be close to everything (or a short walk) and close to a bus stop??? AT SSR was in the Grandstand section, in the building right next to the quiet pool and first bus stop at the resort. It was also a fairly short walk to the main building for Magical Express and to get to the restaurants. It was perfect. Is there a place similar at OKW???

Thanks![/QUOTE]

You should check out my thread and report on OKW. The thread is “Just returned from OKW”. It might help you decide. Personally, I will only stay at OKW again if it is my absolute only option.

I’ve never been to SSR (though will this year since I got bonus points there), but really like OKW. The atmosphere is very nice - much smaller buildings, larger rooms, all seem to have nice views and settings, though it is a bit spread out. I’ve stayed in both 2BR and 1BR units. I have recently stayed in Buidling 16 and really liked that - I think there is now a distinct designation for those buildings close to the central area.
I really like the restaurant there for families, and the quick dining near the pool is very good.
Transport to Downtown Disney is easy via boat, and bus transit is convenient to other areas.

Thanks everyone for the help. One question at OKW are the ‘preferred’ building more points than for the others? They isn’t in any designation for preferred or standard in the DVC books/info I got when I bought back in August (of course my home resort is AKL).

Apparently this “preferred” thing is new - but I don’t think it would be more points - if it is, I sure wouldn’t waste them on a “preferred” building - OKW is not as big as SSR - even to the furtherest corners it’s only about 10 minutes walk to the Hospitality House and you’re only a minute or two from any of the bus stops no matter where you’re situated. I certainly wouldn’t give hand over more points for a preferred suite.

Like llama said, the preferred thing is totally new. I wouldn’t worry about getting that either if it meant spending more points unless you have them to burn. An aspect I forgot to showcase in my comments is the EXCELLENT service at that resort. It was a rare thing for me to walk by any CM there without being greeted with a “good morning”, “have a magical day” or something of the like. I was treated so well in the gift shop that I actually stopped by to say goodbye to one of the CM who was on a mission to help my DD find a pin she was on the hunt for. From the landscapers to the housekeeping CMs, every single person I encountered at that resort was my ideal CM. To me that is enough to bring me back again if the awesome rooms, tranquil setting and DTD access isn’t.

I like laid back and casual…this resort is that ,but done well. I don’t feel at home in shmancy fancy surroundings…I want to flop on the bed and not worry about mussing up the place…seriously, it’s the only place I would even consider renting points at again. Did I mention that it’s the only DVC studio that has two REAL beds and not one of those pull-out nighmares as the second bed? Who wants to sleep on that thing for 7 nights? Not me or DD that’s for sure.

I am sure that you will make the right decision for you. I can’t wait to see what you decide.:heart:

It will be our first trip to SSR and when we get back I will tell you all about it. Never stayed here, so I am really excited!

SSR is a gorgeous resort - so brand new! Although it is HUGE! Most people try for The Springs area - but we discovered that The Grandstand (newest area) is just a minute away from the lobby, and has the BEST quiet pool for small kids (if you have them), a great little park and a playground. If you want to be within close walking distance to the marketplace ask for Congress Park. Enjoy your stay! (and try to have dinner at The Turf Club - a great atmosphere and one of the “sleeper” restaurants of WDW).

(Try to avoid The Carousel - unless you REALLY like being away from everything)

It’s ALL good. There are no BAD DVC resorts. And every one has SOME things that make the location better or worse.

SSR is really big but bus service runs all through it just like OKW. WLV is nice, but it’s a LONG walk to the ferry to MK but the buses to other parks is just outside the door.

[QUOTE=llama;890828]SSR is a gorgeous resort - so brand new! Although it is HUGE! Most people try for The Springs area - but we discovered that The Grandstand (newest area) is just a minute away from the lobby, and has the BEST quiet pool for small kids (if you have them), a great little park and a playground. If you want to be within close walking distance to the marketplace ask for Congress Park. Enjoy your stay! (and try to have dinner at The Turf Club - a great atmosphere and one of the “sleeper” restaurants of WDW).

(Try to avoid The Carousel - unless you REALLY like being away from everything)[/QUOTE]
Thanks alot for the info, it was really helpful, I can’t wait. We’ve never stayed in a resort like this before. We usually stay at Caribbean Beach Resort or Port Orleans. So my family is very excited there is a total of 7 going with two small children, I can’t wait!:laugh:

[QUOTE=llama;890828]SSR is a gorgeous resort - so brand new! Although it is HUGE! Most people try for The Springs area - but we discovered that The Grandstand (newest area) is just a minute away from the lobby, and has the BEST quiet pool for small kids (if you have them), a great little park and a playground. If you want to be within close walking distance to the marketplace ask for Congress Park. Enjoy your stay! (and try to have dinner at The Turf Club - a great atmosphere and one of the “sleeper” restaurants of WDW).

(Try to avoid The Carousel - unless you REALLY like being away from everything)[/QUOTE]

I agree with you on the Grandstand area… I love that one! It’s close enough to the main area but not too close…but you can’t beat that it’s the first time of the buses. True you do have to sit through the other stops, but usually you have a set, and it’s great if you’re standing on the way back from the parks. For my next trip (still on developer’s points) I will be back at SSR and I’m looking forward to it!

Thanks for the tip, it’s good to know that OKW is smaller than SSR!

[QUOTE=Dana;890719]Like llama said, the preferred thing is totally new. I wouldn’t worry about getting that either if it meant spending more points unless you have them to burn. An aspect I forgot to showcase in my comments is the EXCELLENT service at that resort. It was a rare thing for me to walk by any CM there without being greeted with a “good morning”, “have a magical day” or something of the like. I was treated so well in the gift shop that I actually stopped by to say goodbye to one of the CM who was on a mission to help my DD find a pin she was on the hunt for. From the landscapers to the housekeeping CMs, every single person I encountered at that resort was my ideal CM. To me that is enough to bring me back again if the awesome rooms, tranquil setting and DTD access isn’t.

I like laid back and casual…this resort is that ,but done well. I don’t feel at home in shmancy fancy surroundings…I want to flop on the bed and not worry about mussing up the place…seriously, it’s the only place I would even consider renting points at again. Did I mention that it’s the only DVC studio that has two REAL beds and not one of those pull-out nighmares as the second bed? Who wants to sleep on that thing for 7 nights? Not me or DD that’s for sure.

I am sure that you will make the right decision for you. I can’t wait to see what you decide.:heart:[/QUOTE]

I like the laid back settings too, especially after the sensory overload at the parks! So when we went through OKW on Magical Express before getting dropped off at SSR, it definitely caught my eye. Then when I looked at the floor plans, I was like WOW! You get alot of space here.

Anyway, my 09 trips were pretty much laid out: Feb at SSR (on developers points) and August at my home resort AKV (although at Jambo house not Kidani Village). I’m thinking 2010 will be OKW and AKV (hopefully at Kidani Village with a savanna view).