Star Tours Review (spoiler free)

Being a Cast Member comes along with many benefits and privileges, among them getting to preview new enhancements, shows, and attractions. Last night was no exception as I got the opportunity to ride the upgrade of Star Tours at Hollywood Studios! Star Tours is today’s review.

It is going to be difficult to actually review this attraction because I rode it only once, and one has to ride it SEVERAL times in order to visit all the worlds and at least see all the scenarios (for a total of 56 possible outcomes). So let’s start with the queue line. The entrance to the ride looks very similar to it’s precessor. R2 and 3PO are working on a speeder. Mon Calamari are in the control room. So why is it more beautiful?! Because it’s darker, the floor is carpeted, and new videos on the giant screen make you feel like you really have walked into a spaceport. As you continue into what used to be the droid repair room, you’ll notice it’s a now a security room, with actual body scanners checking the passengers! DON’T WORRY IT’S NOT LIKE THE TVA BODY SCANNERS!!! It’s merely infrared :laugh: But the droids are checking all passengers and the belongings coming through their own x-ray, further selling the validity you are at a spaceport. Oh, and be sure to keep an eye out for an homage to Rex, the former droid captain of the original Star Tours. Finally, it’s time to pick up your 3-D glasses and enter the loading dock to your spacecraft.

Not to give any surprises away, but you do have a new captain! Well, sort of, he kind of didn’t get off the ride in time. No, I will not reveal who your captain is, although you Star Wars geeks probably already know. The ride begins! Again, because there are so many possible outcomes, I won’t get into my personal journey, but the animation was ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL!!! Everything was so crystal clear it was so very hard to believe it was all CGI. Another thing that was wonderful was the surround sound in the cabin. The movement of the ride is much smoother now, but still has its jarring moments. There are 3 parts: a beginning, middle and end. All 3 are randomly chosen, so one will never know what the ride will be. But you’ll know when the ride is done when whatever bursts through the “glass” of your cruiser and into the cabin!

Star Tours is back with a vengeance. I thoroughly enjoyed the enhancements. My one complaint about my journey itself was that the audio, although surround sound, was way too low, and I couldn’t hear all what the captain and other people on the screen were saying all the time, and I know it’s partly because my cabin of CMs were hootin and hollering and loving the ride so much. But the effects were so amazing, the ride didn’t leave me woozy, and I loved, loved, LOVED the video from the projection.

Be forewarned, this ride will be harder to get on than Toy Story Mania for a while. Opening day is next Friday, and after our grand procession opening ceremony, I expect no less than a 4-hour wait for the attraction. As a project captain for Star Wars Weekends this year, my hands are going to be completely filled taking care of the thousands of guests coming for this event and ride, but it’ll be worth it to see their smiling faces when they get off the ride that has come from a galaxy far, far away and will hopefully regain it’s title of greatest simulator in the world.

Final Score: 9/10! One combination down, 55 more to go…

I need to know more about Rex, please (no Rex as captain is almost enough to make my mom boycott the ride)!

Also: can you tell us more about the 3D? In general I’m not a fan… and have trouble seeing it. Is the experience going to be significantly diminished because of that? After all, I get to ride it in 40 DAYS!!! (And I will NOT be hollering no matter how much I’m enjoying it- I hate when people ruin the experience for others. I hope no one ruins mine!)

I guess the only thing you said that surprising me is carpet in the queue… that’s got to be the most seriously indestructible stuff on earth!

[QUOTE=Andrea;1076299]I need to know more about Rex, please (no Rex as captain is almost enough to make my mom boycott the ride)!

Also: can you tell us more about the 3D? In general I’m not a fan… and have trouble seeing it. Is the experience going to be significantly diminished because of that? After all, I get to ride it in 40 DAYS!!! (And I will NOT be hollering no matter how much I’m enjoying it- I hate when people ruin the experience for others. I hope no one ruins mine!)

I guess the only thing you said that surprising me is carpet in the queue… that’s got to be the most seriously indestructible stuff on earth![/QUOTE]

Don’t fret about Rex. Like I said he’s still there as an homage in the queue, but the “captain” is just as clueless and very fun.

There aren’t any 3-D effects that come at you, save for 2 specific spots, so you shouldn’t have your ride ruined if you have trouble with 3-D. And I’m glad they were hollering and enjoying it :tongue:

Me thinks I smell a Binks!

“Wesa gonna die?”

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1076305]Me thinks I smell a Binks!

“Wesa gonna die?”[/QUOTE]

Isa smelling the samesa… aren’t we dorks? lololol

Rowdy -
Thank you for the non-spoiled review of this revamped oldie but goodie attraction. As an official star wars dork, I am STOKED to ride!

Your prediction of 4 hour waits for opening weekend is scary. I’ll be sure to fast pass that attraction first thing on an EMH morning. Thanks again!

I just read your review to my DH & my DS (8). They are both really excited to ride! Thanks for a sneak peak.

We are soooo excited to ride this! Thank you for the review!

Sounds like a lot of fun!

[QUOTE=Dana;1076314]Isa smelling the samesa… aren’t we dorks? lololol

[/QUOTE]

I not sure. I’ll let you know when I drop $200 for one of those Goofy Binks statuettes.

Hopefully the waits will be down a little come October…CAN’T WAIT!!!

I am beyond excited about this ride. Rowdy thank you so much for the review!!

Andrea, my boys were bummed when they heard that Captain Rex had been replaced, but they were actually thrilled when I told them who the new captain was. :slight_smile:

Just want to make sure everyone knows which captain Rex I’m referring to. Rex the Droid, not Captain Rex the leader of the Clone Army. Captain Rex the clone will be making appearances at SWW.

OH, and the captain is NOT Jar Jar. It’s another Droid, but a very familiar one.

[QUOTE=lovemysons;1076350]I am beyond excited about this ride. Rowdy thank you so much for the review!!

Andrea, my boys were bummed when they heard that Captain Rex had been replaced, but they were actually thrilled when I told them who the new captain was. :)[/QUOTE]

“I know this is probably your first flight… and it’s mine, too. Heh heh!”

My mom isn’t going to be nearly as forgiving as your boys. She gets things very set in her mind and does not like change! She’ll get over it… but we’re going to be hearing about this for YEARS… :laugh:

I had no idea there was a Captain Rex of the Clone Army!

I’m all IV, V, and VI… and a super-geek about them… and then my interest plummets. :blush:

Thanks for the review!

But, Yikes! Now I have to choose whether to FP TSMM or Star Tours first? How will I choose?

Very cool, Rowdy! Thanks for the review. Only 111 days til we ride :mickey:

I read on anther board that ST was doing a soft opening yesterday.

I too was lucky to be able to ride the new Star Tours and I completely agree with Rowdy ~ it’s an amazing experience. One of the things I love is the new 3 D glasses. They are unlike any other any other and are completely comfortable. I’m one of those people who usually have a hard time with 3D effects…this is completely different.

Yesterday morning was also a cast preview, I don’t think they were allowing guest on the attraction…but I left Studios at 2pm, so things could have changed. If so, how lucky for those Guests!

[QUOTE=Jen;1076394]

Yesterday morning was also a cast preview, I don’t think they were allowing guest on the attraction…but I left Studios at 2pm, so things could have changed. If so, how lucky for those Guests![/QUOTE]

It is true. They did a soft opening yesterday afternoon! Guests were walking off with HUGE grins!