Starting Culinary School In August!

So everyone prepare yourself for another Stacey Darling blog and internship! haha.

Obviously, if I get accepted again, it won’t be until Spring or Fall. I’m holding out for Fall, so I get a chance to oversee operations during the Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years season!

But I’m super excited!

I’m be studying Culinary Management and Baking and Pastry!

Maybe I’ll get a Professional Internship at some point and suggest they change the food options at Sci Fi!!! :laugh:

Wish me luck! (I know it’s eons away but I just needed to share that!! haha)

I’ll be vicariously living through PrincessJill’s CP blog for her entire program! haha.

So jealous Jill!! :heart:

Stacey how exciting! I have seen some of your wonderful cakes on FB and just know you’ll be a star ( as always) well done to you!

Aw, thank you so much Dixie! You are so kind to me! I am extremely excited as well. Honestly I can’t wait to get to a Professional Internship (hoping that I do) because I’m so exciting to learn about the real business-magic side of WDW! :blush:

Thanks for the shout-out!! :happy:

I am SO excited for you!! My friend went to culinary school and she absolutely loved it. I know you’ll do so great - your culinary creations are amazing!!! Please do keep a blog or at least keep us posted on all the awesome stuff you’ll be learning. You’ll be on a Professional Internship before you know it! :happy:

Oh this is really exciting and I’m sure you’re going to have a wonderful time. Just do your best and you’ll get that professional internship before you know it! :heart: :laugh:

[QUOTE=PrincessJill;1038133]Thanks for the shout-out!! :happy:

I am SO excited for you!! My friend went to culinary school and she absolutely loved it. I know you’ll do so great - your culinary creations are amazing!!! Please do keep a blog or at least keep us posted on all the awesome stuff you’ll be learning. You’ll be on a Professional Internship before you know it! :happy:[/QUOTE]

Yay!! Jill thats so sweet! And thanks! (no prob for the shout out! It’s true! haha.) I’ll definitley keep you updated on the things I learn! :happy:

Lets hope sooo!! haha :blush:

Congrats Stacey!!! Good Luck.

Good Luck! You have a natural talent for cake decorating :slight_smile:

If they need a cake and pastry taster here I am.

Haha, thank you everyone! I am very excited! :]

Well… update time!

Considering Culinary school is going to be $90, 000 and I’m paying for it by myself, I’ve decided to go to school for TEACHING! haha.

You see, I still plan on opening a bakery, but I want to go to college, and I pretty much know everything I need to know about baking, I was just going to school because I wanted to further my education… not waste almost an entire payment of a house… :laugh:

So at a much more reasonable $33, 000 I will go to one of the Top 100 schools in the country for Elementary Education. And then I can teach for a while (save up money to open a bakery and pay off my student loans.), take time off teaching, open my bakery, and then if I decide I want to go back to teaching I can do both, and if I don’t then I’ll always have an important back up career!

This is such a difficult decision! I had always known what I wanted to do until it came time to pick one for the rest of my life! Now everytime I make up my mind I just change it to something I know I COULD do! Any advice on this?
I’m excited, I start this spring!

Unless I find an alternative to Culinary Management that I feel more comfortable paying loans off for. I just don’t want to be paying my loans off forever!!

WDW CP possibly during next Fall!!

Teaching is a great job. Just don’t try to find a job in Mass. So many teachers are losing jobs. I’m going into my 6th year of teaching and almost each year I have been layed off and then get a job back. Even last year I almost had to switch jobs mid-year due to budget cuts. I am presently the teacher who will lose their job if they make anymore budget cuts.

Why not go to school for a business degree? If opening a bakery is your dream then go in the direction of your desire rather than a completely different occupation.

Well, I had thought of that, but it seems a business degree is a lot of things that aren’t exactly useful for running a bakery. Culinary Management was just a great find because it’s specific on the business management of running a restaurant or bakery-- something in the food industry! And the reason why I would go for teaching is just because it’s also always been an interest of mine, and I could definitley see myself as a teacher, it’s just not my dream.

I would love to find something along the lines of food industry management without getting myself into debt for the rest of my life! :laugh: College can be obscenely expensive nowadays!

I’m not trying to knock an Education degree at all, because I think it’s wonderful and I considered it myself many times… but I think if you have any degree (I forget if it’s bachelors or associates) you can sit for the tests to get your teaching license. So technically, if you want to teach, you don’t have to get an Education degree.

Have you looked into Hospitality? I feel like I’ve heard someone talking about some kind of culinary involvement there… It may be restaurants and not quite what you’re looking for, but I just wanted to share in case it might help! :happy:

[QUOTE=StaceyDarling!;1040321]Well, I had thought of that, but it seems a business degree is a lot of things that aren’t exactly useful for running a bakery. Culinary Management was just a great find because it’s specific on the business management of running a restaurant or bakery-- something in the food industry! And the reason why I would go for teaching is just because it’s also always been an interest of mine, and I could definitley see myself as a teacher, it’s just not my dream.

I would love to find something along the lines of food industry management without getting myself into debt for the rest of my life! :laugh: College can be obscenely expensive nowadays![/QUOTE]

Never settle for anything. why would you spend money on something that isn’t your dream? It would make more sense to spend $90K and doing what you want rather than spend $33k doing something you may kinda like. You are selling yourself short. You only have one life. Do not be me and hate your career and wish you did what you wanted to when you had the chance.

Have you thought about hotel/restaurant management???
Dana is right-do what you want. You will figure out the payments/scholarships. etc… Don’t settle, or you will regret it later (and be $33,000 in the hole)…

In Massachusetts, I got my license by passing a test and having had some experience in an educational environment. However, many just have to pass the test. Once I started teaching, I started my masters which allowed me to keep my teaching position after the initial 5 years. You should definitely check the requirements in your state.

just don’t get visible tattoos like I did… it will ruin your dreams of ever doing the summer program and having a “good” job. ahh well hope to be piloting a ferry down there when i retire or something…