Starting jan 1

Another happy new year gift from IGER,the AP discount is dropping from 20% to 10%…happy new year …I await the comments

Bait and switch! They offer a great discounted deal to DVC members and get everyone to switch to the PAP, and then lower the perks. I’m wondering what’s the real reason why they wanted everyone to switch. Maybe future revenue for the higher price when it’s time for renewal? I don’t know. It just seemed “sneaky” to me.

I believe it is the corporate side of Disney that sneeks out every so often,its like we make additions to parks and upgrade,which in essence causes bigger crowds,which garner more revenue to pay for it,but they also raise ticket prices and AP’S also…thats corporate think right there,also we were at DLR over Christmas and normally Christmas items and the like are marked down well this year a cast member was told that has changed ,no discounts this year

From a shareholder side I can understand it. Come Jan 1 these companies are facing major problems on many sides. Prices are going up everywhere lately to meet these new challenges. Starting Jan 1, DD has been told she cannot work more than 30 hours a week because that is the new limit for being full-time. Less take home, higher prices. Ugh. I’m not happy about it but there is not much we can do now.

Well, the new Fantasyland wasn’t going to pay for itself…

…I think we are all just “programmed” now to expect good discounts…and we look for them…with businesses have problems, those discounts are going to have to be balanced with the bottom line…

yes increased attendance is what comes from the new fantasy and,think about this BoG,seats 500 at a time and it is sold out from beginning to end of the day,what Disney corporate does now is increase prices and cuts discount to pay for an idea that should just pay for itself,that being said do you believe the rise in prices on merchandise also is not covering these expenses,a simple bubble blower was 8.95,next it was 9.95,last trip 11.49…Tshirts used to 17.95…now 24.95…I am an independent entrenpreneur,so I truly understand the need for profit that is how I made a living,but excess pricing and profit is something most businessmen try to very careful about crossing the line…out here in California the new carsland has probably in 6 months paid for itself…and more…but from what I am hearing our discount remains at 20%…so is this a reaction that the new fantasyland is not pulling in what was expected …well the key piece the mine ride will not be open for another year,can you imagine how carsland would do with radiator springs racers.

The standard AP discount has always been 10%. The premium AP discount is 20%.
On the other hand, it wasn’t until the past couple years that; a. the discount was 10% no matter what type and b. the discount was actually very limited. In fact it was basically limited to World of Disney and not much inside parks.

That “new limit” for “full time” is the companies’ attempt to not provide health care to minimum wage employees, or anyone else they don’t feel they need to provide health insurance for, or even offer the employee the chance to buy into the company plan.
By keeping most workers under 30 hours, they get away with all kinds of crap because you aren’t full time.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1127229]That “new limit” for “full time” is the companies’ attempt to not provide health care to minimum wage employees, or anyone else they don’t feel they need to provide health insurance for, or even offer the employee the chance to buy into the company plan.
By keeping most workers under 30 hours, they get away with all kinds of crap because you aren’t full time.[/QUOTE]

Here in ca…a few years ago the supermarket union went on strike,for many of the same reasons,they wanted to limit workers hours,so they would not have to pay benefits,well that’s all well and good but when workers asked for consistent hours even in a diminished form the company said they could not guarantee,a specific schedule ,some workers would get 24 hours a week but never the same from week to week,also they would be asked to work a afternoon evening shift one day and be asked to work morning afternoon the next,and in most cases they would be working in stores not even close to where they lived,I supported the strike and boycotted those stores ,because I believe that the person helping me at the store should be able to make a viable living in the area they were working…to this day they still do not accommodate workers with set schedules from week to week and thus making it impossible for them to get other work to make up for the lack of hours…The same applies to Disney workers,always remember when you go to a place like Disney those employees are working new years eve or day,christmas or thanksgiving to allow us to enjoy the parks and atractions…and like soundgod said for less than 30 hours a week

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1127228]The standard AP discount has always been 10%. The premium AP discount is 20%.
On the other hand, it wasn’t until the past couple years that; a. the discount was 10% no matter what type and b. the discount was actually very limited. In fact it was basically limited to World of Disney and not much inside parks.[/QUOTE]

yes understood ,but now it is 10% for everyone,also most quick service restaraunts in DLR give discount as all in WDW don’t…the structure is not equal between parks…don’t forget also TIW has increased also to 100 from 75…I for one if an adjustment is not made to tip level and type of restaurant sit down dining vs buffet will seriously consider not renewing when the time comes

all that being said I am 2 hours away from double digits …maybe we are own worse enemies

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1127229]That “new limit” for “full time” is the companies’ attempt to not provide health care to minimum wage employees, or anyone else they don’t feel they need to provide health insurance for, or even offer the employee the chance to buy into the company plan.
[/QUOTE]

I have no problem with them not providing health care for their employees. It’s a minimum wage job. Providing health care would basically double her current pay as well as everyone else in the chain and I have no interest in paying $10.00 for a hamburger. It’s the new regulation that moved the full time worker from 40 to 30 that really irritates me. If that is the case I will be working the equivalent of three full time jobs some weeks. :eek: My real point was that there are so many of these little things taking place on Jan 1 that a 10% discount at Disney will be the least of our worries. At least the next trip is paid for.

last I checked Disney burgers were just south of 10.00…and you must mean the financial cliff…and about those minimum wage workers we depend on them to work in order that we can go on our next trip

The structure has never been equal between the two resorts, at least in my memory.
But everything Disneyland isn’t automatically better than WDW. Perfect case in point is the meal plans. Last I looked, DLR was still playing the dollar amount voucher game instead of simply one meal equals one credit like WDW.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1127228]The standard AP discount has always been 10%. The premium AP discount is 20%.
On the other hand, it wasn’t until the past couple years that; a. the discount was 10% no matter what type and b. the discount was actually very limited. In fact it was basically limited to World of Disney and not much inside parks.[/QUOTE]

SG, I was thinking that the discount was more limited but wasn’t sure since (a) we didn’t get an AP every year and (b) we just don’t buy a lot of stuff. Was there also something like you had to spend over $50 ?

that was chase Disney card the $50requirement

Do you mean that the discount for previously sold APs is dropping? I don’t think they can do that, as the discounts for the term were posted at the time of purchase for everyone who bought them.
Better check on this, and buy an AP today instead of tomorrow, if it is as I think it is.

[QUOTE=MissDisney;1127427]Do you mean that the discount for previously sold APs is dropping? I don’t think they can do that, as the discounts for the term were posted at the time of purchase for everyone who bought them.
Better check on this, and buy an AP today instead of tomorrow, if it is as I think it is.[/QUOTE]

Here’s the thing, in the sleeve you’re given with your AP, it very clearly states “Benefits Expire December 31, 2012”. This means, even if you renewed your AP in the beginning of December like I did, the current AP benefits end today. This also means that tomorrow, your AP is entitled to all of the current AP benefits for 2013.
Compared to my taxes going up painfully tomorrow, this is nothing.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1127432]Here’s the thing, in the sleeve you’re given with your AP, it very clearly states “Benefits Expire December 31, 2012”. This means, even if you renewed your AP in the beginning of December like I did, the current AP benefits end today. This also means that tomorrow, your AP is entitled to all of the current AP benefits for 2013.
Compared to my taxes going up painfully tomorrow, this is nothing.[/QUOTE]

Ah, I see. So you are saying that the park entry aspect of the AP lasts a full year from purchase, but the discount retail/resort facet is only good until Dec. 31?