State of Disrepair?

I’ve heard some rumors, so far unsubstantiated, that there is evidence of maintenance at Disney being way behind schedule. I read a post recently that 75% of the effects on Expedition Everest are broken (a claim that I refuse to believe.)

But it got me wondering, of the folks that have been recently (within the last 6 months) have you noticed anything like this?

On past trips, I’ve noticed certain things like the jumping fountains at Imagination at Epcot weren’t working properly. I’ve also seen problems on Buzz Lightyear and the Maelstrom, but nothing terribly bad.

Can anyone comment?

When I was there Dec/Jan buzz quit working many times. We actually had to sit there for 20 minutes while they worked on something. This also goes for PoC and Splash.
The jumping fountain in Epcot wasn’t even on.

[QUOTE=tinkerbelle24;960663]When I was there Dec/Jan buzz quit working many times. We actually had to sit there for 20 minutes while they worked on something. This also goes for PoC and Splash.
The jumping fountain in Epcot wasn’t even on.[/QUOTE]

UGH…

I’m hoping that things get spruced up over the summer. The trip in Oct is more about seeing family, but still…

[QUOTE=MerlinMatt;960665]UGH…

I’m hoping that things get spruced up over the summer. The trip in Oct is more about seeing family, but still…[/QUOTE]

I know what you mean. I’m taking my daughter for her bday in Sept.
Oh…the CoP quit working for 30 minutes so we couldn’t turn anymore. They played the same part over and over and over and over…well you get the point. Finally I was going to explode if I heard about the 4th of july party again and just as I was about to go crazy they said it wasn’t working and we could leave.

When we were there in March, the jumping fountains were working just fine! My son thought they were so cool. Buzz was working great, too and we did that ride several times. Out of everything we did, nothing stands out in my mind that was in desperate need of repair. Spaceship Earth stopped a few times, but I find that happens often there. I’ll have to pay more attention when I’m there in August.

That reminds me when I first rode CoP back in 1980. DF took us (family of 7) to MK in February. It was COLD. We actually got a little snow one morning, but it was melted by the time we got up.

One evening, after dinner, we were in Tomorrowland and it was MAYBE 35 degrees. CoP froze during the scene when the uncle had the ice-cube in the bathroom. We watched it 5 times. During the 5th scene, my dad yells out, right before the lights revealed it, “who’s in the bathroom???!!!” Everyone in our theatre laughed. We were trapped, but we were warm, so everyone actually had a good time.

:laugh:

SE stops frequently to allow disabled guests to embark and disembark. I don’t mind when SE stops. I fall asleep half the time anyway. :whistling

Anyway, I’m glad that it seems that things aren’t horrible.

[QUOTE=MerlinMatt;960670] SE stops frequently to allow disabled guests to embark and disembark. I don’t mind when SE stops. I fall asleep half the time anyway. :whistling

Anyway, I’m glad that it seems that things aren’t horrible.[/QUOTE]

My DH always said that’s why SE stopped so frequently. I have to admit, I didn’t always believe him - now I’ll have to admit that… I was… wrong?!:ohmy: Nah, he won’t read this particular post - I hope, lol.

Don’t tell, I’ve dozed off on SE, too!!:wink: Sometimes you just can’t help it!!

Things seemed pretty good in March, we had no big complaints!

I just went to MK, Epcot, and AK last week and I didn’t notice anything out of repair. Baloo went with his friends a week or so before that and said Small World was in pretty desperate need of help - dolls not working, dolls missing, etc. But when we went together, Small World looked great. There was only one doll we noticed missing - in the very last scene with everyone, one of the two dolls I think from Thailand (?? could be way off) were gone.

I think Disney does a GREAT job with repairs and keeping things clean. This becomes especially noticeable for me when I’ve visited other non-Disney parks. WDW has been around for a while, so I think it’s only natural that things would need to be repaired and fixed up every once in a while. I appreciate that Disney tries to keep the rides open while they’re working on things. Just my 2 cents. :happy:

I read the same thing when searching for answers on the Legendary section of POP. Maybe I’m blinded by all of the Magic, and don’t notice anything wrong. The only issue we ever encountered was last May, at AK in DinoLand, the flying Dino ride(not sure what it is called, like the Dumbo ride or the Magic Carpet ride, but with the dinos) did lose power and die on us. Was down for about 30 mins.

I didn’t notice anything in horrible disrepair when we went a couple of weeks ago. All the effects on EE seemed to be working, no problems on Buzz and I didn’t notice any missing or broken dolls on small world. I didn’t notice if the fountains at Imagination were working or not because we only went by that pavilion once to ride it and never even got close again.

I think there is always going to be the odd thing here and there, just because of the size of the place and the amount of people bustling about! I don’t think they’d EVER let it get as bad as the Paris resort though. (Mum & Dad where at DLP in Jan and the place was practically falling apart but rumours are that it’s not even owned by Disney anymore :S )

I was there about a month ago and saw some Disney equivalent of ‘fresh paint’ signs. I’ve seem some photos on the web of things at Disneyland, and it seems to me that WDW is in better shape. Just my two cents…

[QUOTE=MerlinMatt;960662]I’ve heard some rumors, so far unsubstantiated, that there is evidence of maintenance at Disney being way behind schedule. I read a post recently that 75% of the effects on Expedition Everest are broken (a claim that I refuse to believe.)

But it got me wondering, of the folks that have been recently (within the last 6 months) have you noticed anything like this?

On past trips, I’ve noticed certain things like the jumping fountains at Imagination at Epcot weren’t working properly. I’ve also seen problems on Buzz Lightyear and the Maelstrom, but nothing terribly bad.

Can anyone comment?[/QUOTE]

Buzz Lightyear is almost always breaking down for 3-10 minutes at a time. I’ve been stuck on the ride numerous times in the past 3 years.

I can’t say for certain about Everest, other than when the ride first opened there used to be an eagle that would fly out in front of the train just before you get dropped backwards and that eagle has been missing since late 2006.
I know I’ve run into guests who are Disneyland regulars that have nothing at all good to say about WDW when compared to DLR because of areas that are in serious need of paint, cleaning, sprucing up, as well as shock that so many CMs are visible working while guests are in the area. I believe the phrase used was “Walt spinning in his grave”.
Pirates has some serious timing issues because every single time I’ve ridden, we wind up sitting by the last Jack Sparrow animatronic behind a queue of 5 boats, all waiting to get to the unload platform.

Keep in mind, some of the “breakdowns” of Buzz and similar rides is to load and unload guests in wheelchairs.

I would agree. I’ve been on several rides where the ride must stop to allow the guests to transfer from their wheelchair. I’m betting many of the short interruptions you have experienced are not breakdowns but just temporary, intentional stops.

When we were there in January, the fountain in Epcot was closed for refurbishment.
Love to watch it!

I never realized this. It makes perfect sense. Boy, am I slow!:laugh:

[QUOTE=tinkerbelle24;960663]When I was there Dec/Jan buzz quit working many times. We actually had to sit there for 20 minutes while they worked on something. This also goes for PoC and Splash.
The jumping fountain in Epcot wasn’t even on.[/QUOTE]

Did Disney do anything for you after sitting there? I heard people were stuck on Rock & Roll Coaster and were given Fast passes for the rest of the day.