Staying Off Site and using Disney Transportation

I’m sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, I’ve searched and didn’t see this posted elsewhere. I read on a website that to save a few dollars, park at DTD and take the shuttle to any of the parks.

We’re staying off-site at the Wyndham Cypress Palms. Has anyone ever done this? Is it allowed? Or is this just for resort users?

Thanks!

I think it’s just for resort users. But I could be wrong… but that’s always been my understanding. That being said though I’ve never seen them ask for resort ID.

I don’t think the buses run to the parks anymore. If one was going to do that then you would have to take it to a resort.

You would have to go to a resort first, and then wait for the bus for the park you wanted to go to. The buses are usually crowded enough with people who stay at the resorts, alot of trouble for you to save a few bucks.

You are supposted to be a WDW resort guest.

You can save a few bucks in parking fees but at a price. Most busses make several stops, and you’d probably need to go to a resort first then get another bus to a park. (Time to spare? Go by WDW bus!)

It’s just not worth it. Mutiple bus rides to get to where you are going, on a bus system that is spotty at best. Plus DTD busses don’t start running until later in the day.
Many of the resorts have shuttles. That would be your best bet.

Hey,

I just wrote back to your Wyndham question and spoke about transportation.

The DTD option will cost you more time and pain than driving to the park yourself. Freinds have done it and told us NEVER again. I know our time is more valuable than trying to catch 3 different busses after a long day in the park. Just pay the parking fee if you have to. You will thank yourself later. And get back to your resort 30-60 minutes quicker.

As stated above, the buses are for resort guest and it will cost you more time. Antother point to think about is that the buses from DTD will not get you to the parks to be on hand for park opening. Those buses tend to start running later than the park buses. If you factor transferring buses from DTD to a resort and then to a park and then the additional time of waiting for the DTD buses to actually start running, it’s so not worth the money you will save. My suggestion would be to take the parking money and mutiple it by the amount of days you are staying there and add that into your spending money budget. I cannot even imagine how frustrated I would be waiting for all those buses after a hard day of touring. Forget taking a break from the parks mid day to recharge you family’s batteries…holy cannoli you are asking for a meltdown from the most patient of people. Pay the parking fee…your sanity is worth the extra money,.

I had a “friend” who would drive to the Boardwalk and park there and then catch a bus to the MK or AK, walk or take a boat to EPCOT or a boat to DHS. At least “he” wasn’t using old refillable mugs, pool hopping or saving spots in line though. :rolleyes:

Parking at Downtown Disney when going to the parks is an option but not a good one. However, when we have used DtD to get from resort to resort we’ve allowed 1.5-2 hours because it can take that long. You will be much less stressed going straight to the parks and paying the parking fee. Do you really want to spend 90 minutes just getting back to your car at the end of a long (fun) day?

Again, remember, (1) AP in the party and parking is free. Yeah!!!

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Thank you for all the input! :slight_smile:

some off property hotels offer shuttles to the parks,that being said ,you cannot get to a park from DTD ,you have to go to a resort,then trasition to a park,but be aware it is very rare but the busses are for resort guests,they hardly ever question anyone ,but it is still possible,i have only seen it twice in the last 10 years,I have no clue why someone checked …it hardly never happens…many years ago ,lets say 1991 you were ocasionally asked for a bus pass ,which was given to you upon check-in

Getting from the resort to DtD and back is sometimes bad enough, I’d NEVER do that to get to a park to save a few bucks. And at the end of the day you could wait buses to get back to DtD.

The buses are great when staying at resort, used Magical Express, and no car, otherwise, if you have a car, use it!

I agree. We were meeting some friends at Hoop Dee Doo one night. I told them to take a bus from Beach Club where they were staying to MK then the launch to FW. They weren’t sure if that was best so they asked at the front desk and were told to go through Downtown Disney so that’s what they did. Well, it took over two hours and they missed about 40 minutes of our dinner show. Downtown is the worst place to try and use to transfer.

Nobody is going to check your room key when you get onto any Disney Transport mode.
That is the last thing anyone cares about. Plus DT is for park guests and hotel guests because there are transportation modes that go from park to park, so the assumption is you’re a guest.
The problem is that there is no transport between DTD and any park, except for Typhoon Lagoon on certain routes.
Your hotel is well outside WDW, so your plan isn’t a good one. You’d be better off using your hotel’s park shuttle to get to whichever park you’re trying to get to and if you’re hopping parks, then you can use Disney Transport.
I also wouldn’t bank on being able to park at one of the WDW resorts and using DT because access and parking at the Disney hotels is restricted to guests and diners at that hotel’s restaurants.
You might be better off just biting the bullet and paying to park.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1040548]Nobody is going to check your room key when you get onto any Disney Transport mode.
That is the last thing anyone cares about. Plus DT is for park guests and hotel guests because there are transportation modes that go from park to park, so the assumption is you’re a guest.
The problem is that there is no transport between DTD and any park, except for Typhoon Lagoon on certain routes.
Your hotel is well outside WDW, so your plan isn’t a good one. You’d be better off using your hotel’s park shuttle to get to whichever park you’re trying to get to and if you’re hopping parks, then you can use Disney Transport.
I also wouldn’t bank on being able to park at one of the WDW resorts and using DT because access and parking at the Disney hotels is restricted to guests and diners at that hotel’s restaurants.
You might be better off just biting the bullet and paying to park.[/QUOTE]
I totally agree.

Please excuse my “computer acronym illiteracy”…but what does AP stand for?? I am in the beginning process of planning my trip to the “land of happiness”, and any information on saving money would help a lot :smile:

AP = annual pass.