Still doing the coaster thing? A poll for all ages

I’m very curious about how people’s relationship with coasters changes as they age. Is there any WDW coaster you will no longer ride? Hoping for answers from everyone of all ages, including Old Fogies, to get a scientifically accurate poll!

So, considering what YOU perceive to be WDW’s wildest (scariest, fastest, roughest, jerkiest, bumpiest, nauseatingist, upside-downiest, backwardiest – whatever) coaster, would you be doing it again if you were there tomorrow?

The “how many more days for you” thread a few weeks ago got me wondering. It’ll be close to a decade before I return. What will that trip be like for me? What rides might I no longer be doing? Currently I’m in my 40’s and I’m riding ‘em all. But will I still be riding in my 50’s? Especially interested in how those that were still riding in their 40’s answer this today! Does it change when you no longer have children with you? Does the love for thrills and speed just dissipate over time? Or is the “spirit still willing, but the flesh too weak”?

I LOVE thrill rides. I must admit that I have ditched the fair rides for the most part (the kind that come to town once a year, are put up in one day, leave a week later). I don’t know that I WOULDN’T ride on those rides…I just haven’t (I think it gets worse the older I get).

However, for the theme parks I will ride anything. I LOVE thrill rides…the bigger the better. I hope that never stops!!!

I’m 24, and as long as my health is secure enough for coasters, I’ll take 'em!

I never thought I would fill out a survey that said “in my 30’s”!! I still love the rides, but they have more of an effect on me as I age. Recovery time is longer and I am not up to jumping right back on to be flipped around again.

Rockin’ Roller Coaster is my favorite…the instant speed is the best part. I can’t imagine myself ever stopping. The only thing I don’t like is the harnesses never fit me right because I’m short, and my head always gets bobbled.

I’m in my young 50’s (OUCH!! :ohmy::blink::pinch:) and still lovin’ the coasters! EE left me a bit out-of-sorts this last time but will probably try it again next time. :happy:

I am 32 and I will NEVER stop riding roller coasters.

Lisa

I didn’t ride my first real coaster until I was 38 (Great American Scream Machine at Great Adventure). The bug really hit when IOA opened in 1999 and I got my first taste of The Hulk and the Dueling Dragons (originally designed for Animal Kingdom). I now have over 200 coasters under my belt. I can’t wait for next year when Sea World opens their B&M flying coaster, Manta! I’ve ridden the three Superman flying coasters, which are similar, and love how comfortable they are. Yes, I said flying. You sit in your seat, pull down the horse collar, which also engages ankle restraints, and when all riders are secured, the seats rotate 90 degrees back and you are face down to the ground! When you get to the top of the lift hill, it feels as if you are, well, Superman.
I don’t want to go into too much about lap bars vs. OTSR horse collars, or combinations in this thread, except to say, when you have a horse collar, you really need to keep your head pressed back against the head rest, or your ears will get batted around quite a bit, even on the smoothest of coasters.

We’re also card carrying members of ACE.

I’m 35 and I still love going on any kind of thrill ride!! I hope that never changes!!!

This was hard for me to answer b/c I will ride absolutely ANY roller coaster in a Disney Park no problem. We are known to ride California Screamin’ & Rock n’ Roller Coaster several times in a row. I am 30 years old and my husband is 28, no kids.

ALTHOUGH, one big difference I started noticing in my late 20’s was in the real bumpy or shakey coasters. For example, the ‘Cyclone’ in Coney Island and the ‘Great American Scream Machine’ in Great Adventure KILL me! I get crazy headaches from them. But, as long as a coaster is smooth it can go upside down or as fast as possible and I am fine.

It’s a pretty decent ride, although not one of my favorites. I’m not a big fan of coasting backwards, and count as my least favorites the numerous Vekoma “Boomerangs” that populate so many parks, as much for their cookie cutter/clone nature as anything else. Back to EE, the forward sections are really nice with quick switches in direction as it crests some of the hills. I try to do my riding in threes, that is, ride any coaster three times in a row, crowds permitting.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;872311] I’ve ridden the three Superman flying coasters, which are similar, and love how comfortable they are. Yes, I said flying. You sit in your seat, pull down the horse collar, which also engages ankle restraints, and when all riders are secured, the seats rotate 90 degrees back and you are face down to the ground! When you get to the top of the lift hill, it feels as if you are, well, Superman.
[/QUOTE]

Oh my gosh! I’ve only ridden Superman in Great Adventure but let me tell you that was AWESOME! It’s so smooth and comfortable you REALLY do feel like you are flying! LOVED IT!

[QUOTE=WishUponAStar;872320]
ALTHOUGH, one big difference I started noticing in my late 20’s was in the real bumpy or shakey coasters. For example, the ‘Cyclone’ in Coney Island and the ‘Great American Scream Machine’ in Great Adventure KILL me! I get crazy headaches from them. But, as long as a coaster is smooth it can go upside down or as fast as possible and I am fine.[/QUOTE]

DW doesn’t really like woodies that much. She says they hurt in some places guys don’t have to worry about. Some day, I need to make the pilgrimage back to Coney Island and ride the Cyclone once in my life. When I was younger, I was too afraid to ride coasters. Scream Machine (the New Jersey one, not the woodie at SFoG) can be a smooth ride, if it has recently had a deep refurbishment. We found this out with Viper at Magic Mountain, a very similar coaster to GASM, however, as much as I liked GASM in 92, when I rode it in 2003, I could only ride it once as it was way too rough. This is a common problem for all Arrow corkscrew coasters, in fact, Shockwave at SFGreat America was dismantled and eventually scrapped, being replaced by Superman Ultimate Flight. Also, there was another jumbo Arrow at Busch Gardens Williamsburg called Draken Fire that only ran until 98 and was dismantled and scrapped in 2002 because it was too rough for guests, as well as Steel Phantom at Kennywood, which was rebuilt without the loops as Phantom’s Revenge.

I still haven’t even been able to get onto RnRC!

I’m in my 30’s and no kid will out ride me! I might be scared but I ride em. :laugh: I rode everything in Cedar Point so I feel like I’ve earned my coaster wings. :happy:

I am still riding the coasters. I remember when I was preggo with DD alot of mom’s were telling me that after they had kids they couldn’t ride coasters any more because they would get sick. Not me. My DH and I are still getting on those things. We have ridden most of them at Cedar Point too, with the exception of Top Thrill. I am sure we will one of these days though!

In my 40’s and if offered to ride a ride again because things are slow, I will keep on going. Last May, we did Primeval Whirl 4 times in a row without getting off the ride. Now, there’s a ride that will beat you up as you ride it.

Top Thrill wasn’t built yet when I went there but I’ve seen it online. I don’t know about that one, it looks like its for crazy folk!! :blink: But after a little peer pressure I’d probably ride it. :laugh:

If you’ve ridden Top Thrill Dragster, you have indeed. Millenium Force is probably my favorite coaster of all that I’ve ridden with some of the runners up being Hulk, Kraken, Goliath (Magic Mountain), Mean Streak, Kumba, Lightning Racers, Georgia Scorcher, and Mantis.

Edit: OK, so you haven’t had the pleasure of having your face slammed back at 120 MPH or been 420 feet in the air. Millenium force is still the third highest full circuit coaster in the US and number 4 in the world (not counting Superman: The Escape at Magic Mountain because that isn’t a full circuit)