Stupid, Stupid WDW Rookies

OK, one our company’s sales managers had been asking me about WDW for the last 3 years…and he REALLY wants to take his family. So, he is about to bite the bullet and has gotten some quotes from several sources.
I asked him when he is going and he said 12/26/2010 - 01/02/2011…the EXACT dates I went this past Christmas/New Years. So, I got excited for him…and said “Man, you are only like 2 weeks out from making your dining reservations.” (He is doing the DP). He then said, yeah I was going to talk to you about that later in a few weeks. “You need to start planning NOW.” I said.

Then he asked why. I told him that this was his 1st trip to WDW during one of the most exciting, yet the MOST packed times of year. He needed to know what park he was going to be at to know his options for dining. He needed to find out who had EMH when. He then said, “Well, I was just going to ask you 2 or 3 places to eat and we would get ressies there in a few months or a couple of weeks before we go, and just pick somewhere the rest of the time.” YOU CAN’t DO THAT i said.

I woke up at 5 am last year on the 1st day I could make my ADR and still didn’t get everything I wanted when I wanted.

He didn’t know how FP worked…he just thought you walked up, got one and went on the ride…nor did he know that they can run out of FP. He looked at me like I was CRAZY when I told him that New Years Eve don’t plan on riding hardly anything and plan other events (Kim Possible or something like it).

HE WOULD NOT LISTEN - which is common for him. I want him to have a good time b/c he is generally a nice guy and he has a dear family…but this guy is setting himself up for a nightmare - I have seen it happpen before.

Yeesh…yeah that just sounds like he’s setting himself up for disaster. I don’t think he has any idea how busy it’s actually going to be during those times. Just keep trying to offer advice best that you can (provided he’ll take it…) but best of luck to him! I can only imagine how frustrating it must be for you trying to help him out so he has a great vacation but he just wont get it through his head!

told my wife to tell his wife to give me a call. I don’t want to plan the thing for him but they need to know the basics.

Yeah definitely. Going in blind like that is going to guarantee him a not-so-magical vacation

Do the best you can to advise the best you can but in the end, it’s up to them whether or not to listen. I know that you want to be able to enjoy Disney the way we know it should be enjoyed, but all you can do is advise and then not worry about it. Unless you’ve been there it’s really hard to imagine. I know I went through that myself the first time we went, but learned a lot on that trip. I bet it will be the same for them, and even if they experience some frustrations he might have a “lightbulb” moment where he says, “So THIS is what my friend was talking about!”

I think it’s a good thing having your wives talk. Sometimes hearing it from more than one person is all that it takes to get the message through.

Hey, I know what you are talking about. We are going at one of the other busiest times of the year - July 4th. Luckily, my daughter is seventeen so we do quick service as she is not really into character dining anymore. She wants to eat and go, but I did tell her that on the 4th we have to get up early and book it to Magic Kingdom or we won’t be able to get in due to capacity crowds. I told her to expect to be there all day and spend time killing time due to the heat, the long lines, and the crowds. When going to WDW it is best to be prepared, I guess he just doesn’t understand that. Do you have an old disney guide or passporter that you could give to his family to read, so maybe they would understand? Hope it works out for them.

Stories like this one just make me sad. Because he and his family are going to get there and wait in lines, eat bad food, and just have a mediocre Disney experience. Then they will probably turn into those people who say, “I went to Disney World and I just didn’t really care for it. Too many lines…etc” I try to tell people, if you plan it can be the best time ever but when people don’t listen they just get the wrong impression.

But honestly I’m such a Disney nut, I’d love being at Disney no matter what!

Oh boy I know how you feel. I’ve been going threw the same thing with my sister in-law. We are all leaving next week and she never made ANY ressies and doesn’t plan on it!!! :ohmy:
She thinks they are just going to get a bite in the morning, then a burger in the afternoon, and then they look for a place to eat at night :laugh:!
Like you said… Rookies :pinch:!
I just really hope it doesn’t put damper on her
experience.

Mhm! Rookie problem and often results in disaster and feeling let down! lol.

I love when people I know are going for the first time and want my advice and for me to help them. I should really plan vacations! haha.

I literally sit people down that have never been to Disney before and explain everything and they always walk away a believer! :laugh:

But some people just have to learn the hard way! lol.

All you can do is offer the advice, it’s up to them to accept it.

[QUOTE=StaceyDarling!;1036192]

But some people just have to learn the hard way! lol.[/QUOTE]

Amen sister!!!

[QUOTE=StaceyDarling!;1036192]Mhm! Rookie problem and often results in disaster and feeling let down! lol.

I love when people I know are going for the first time and want my advice and for me to help them. I should really plan vacations! haha.

I literally sit people down that have never been to Disney before and explain everything and they always walk away a believer! :laugh:

But some people just have to learn the hard way! lol.[/QUOTE]

:laugh: I do the same thing with first timers!
They look at me like I’m crazy & have Disney OCD, BUT when they get home it’s a different story :laugh:

I am so glad I have a lot of latitude with the times I can go. Last year we went Mid September - No Lines. And next time we are going Jan 4th to the 9th so hopefully miss all the crowds. I’d hate to waste 1/2 my vacation standing in lines.

[QUOTE=tinker2222;1036190]Oh boy I know how you feel. I’ve been going threw the same thing with my sister in-law. We are all leaving next week and she never made ANY ressies and doesn’t plan on it!!! :ohmy:
She thinks they are just going to get a bite in the morning, then a burger in the afternoon, and then they look for a place to eat at night :laugh:!
Like you said… Rookies :pinch:!
I just really hope it doesn’t put damper on her
experience.[/QUOTE]

Now see, we always tour like that and have for years. Very seldom do we ever make ressies because we don’t like to be bound to being somewhere at a certain time and place. Some people are like that. Granted we’re not going during Christmas, but the times we have gone (Pres week, F & W/Golf Classic and Father’s Day week) have all been no slouch. The ride/FP thing they def will need a plan for, but as for the restaurants i’m sure they’ll be enough places for them to eat at. It may not be “THE” spot to be, but being out and about to see what all is there on their first visit rather than spending a lot of time sitting in a TS restaurant might be the better thing for them.
Only they’ll know.:happy:

Oh, I hate it when people don’t bother to plan their FIRST vacation to WDW, and then get all upset that the parks were crowded and they had to wait in line and all of the restaurants were booked.

My former Executive Director did the same thing. It started with " We are going to Disney for Christmas :eek: I thought I would ask you for a few tips since you go so much"…He then proceeded to ask me for advice on his plan of going with 4 kids under 10 I think, DW, and grandparents in tow. I think I started laughing and asking if he had REALLY thought about that…I told him get good guide books, gave him this site and a few others and told him good luck. I told him DW could call if she wanted…I would have helped more but they never asked so …LOL!
I think they were a “bit” disapointed when reality set in. Although, by what they had planned, what they had to have paid for the trip boggles my mind to this day. I would have been disapointed too!

I’ve also got friends who are unseasoned who just refuse to listen to my advice.
It’s really frustrating, especially when they return home and tell me all the things they did wrong.
I also know that once we’re (Mousebuzzers) in WDW and we meet rookies who are having less than magical times, they are much more accepting of any tips and advice they can get!

[QUOTE=tinker2222;1036240]:laugh: I do the same thing with first timers!
They look at me like I’m crazy & have Disney OCD, BUT when they get home it’s a different story :laugh:[/QUOTE]

Hahaha I know the feeling all to well! Everyone loves Disney… they just don’t know it yet! :laugh:

It is a very frustrating thing to watch, isnt it? I have seen the same thing happen with people I really want to see have a good time. There is so much info to learn when you have never been before. They need to start off with a guidebook, then talk to you about the specifics.

These “types” of people drive me nuts!!! I have some very dear friends that I absolutely love, but when it comes to Disney planning, I think they are very naive! It’s like “come on people, who do you know that goes to Disney as often as I do? Why would I steer you in the wrong direction, you are dear friends of mine, you take my advice quite often in the real world, why not the Disney world!”

Friends of ours just went in May, they are not huge eaters at all, they purchased the 3 table service credits a day plan and decided not to make ANY, yes, I said ANY, dining reservations!!!

We explained that even our family (very big eaters) only ever needs the regular dining plan, and we always make our reservations. I mean if you don’t want to stick to what you planned you can cancel, but if you don’t make the plans, then you may not be able to eat anything but counter service! Ugggg!!! CRAZY I tell you! I try not to let it bother me, but that doesn’t work very well.

I think I get so worked up about it, because we love Disney and want others to like it as much as we do, but if you end up being disapointed, even due to things that were your own fault, you tend to just chalk up the whole experience. Very frustrating.