Sugar free ice cream?

My husband just found out that he is diabetic since our last trip to WDW and I was wondering if at any of the snack carts or stands they sell sugar free or no sugar added ice cream/snacks?

Thank you in advance.

Don’t go by the terms “sugar free” or “no sugar added” when choosing food to eat. Diabetics go by carbs, as all carbs turn into sugar. Next time you are in the store, pick up a sugar free ice cream and a regular ice cream and compare them. The sugar free will probably list one serving at 23 carbs, versus regular at 26 carbs. So, both will put the same amount of sugar in your body, as the carbs convert to sugar. This is one of the biggest scams in marketing, and will be very unhealthy for many diabetics who think they are eating freebies because the labeling says sugar free.

It sounds complicated in the beginning, but as you continue to learn and count carbs, it will eventually come second nature.

[QUOTE=bethishooked;976530]Don’t go by the terms “sugar free” or “no sugar added” when choosing food to eat. Diabetics go by carbs, as all carbs turn into sugar. Next time you are in the store, pick up a sugar free ice cream and a regular ice cream and compare them. The sugar free will probably list one serving at 23 carbs, versus regular at 26 carbs. So, both will put the same amount of sugar in your body, as the carbs convert to sugar. This is one of the biggest scams in marketing, and will be very unhealthy for many diabetics who think they are eating freebies because the labeling says sugar free.

It sounds complicated in the beginning, but as you continue to learn and count carbs, it will eventually come second nature.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info:)

That is so true I found out about four years ago I was type 2. I count carbs. My dietian I went to put me on a four point a meal plan with all the veges are free and fruit counts as one point. other carbs I count 15grams as one point. Diabeties also affects people differently also. So good luck and if he likes crab legs well except for the butter eat all you wish.

Is he Type 1 or Type2? I’m Type 1 and find I must be really careful in Disney not to go too low due to all the walking and heat. And I normally run high er at home! So I eat 3 meals a day (balanced) and find I can almost always have a treat during the day. Watch at night and test before he goes to bed.

He is type 2 and he runs high.

:ohmy:[QUOTE=Remy;976654]He is type 2 and he runs high.[/QUOTE]

Is DH on an oral agent or are they trying to control it by diet alone? The reason I ask is that oral agents are more likely to produce a low, i assume he knows the signs. If it is just by diet, he will probably not notice much difference at Disney, but bring the glucometer with you just in case!! Have a great trip!!:flowers:

Is DH on an oral agent or are they trying to control it by diet alone? The reason I ask is that oral agents are more likely to produce a low, i assume he knows the signs. If it is just by diet, he will probably not notice much difference at Disney, but bring the glucometer with you just in case!! Have a great trip!!:flowers:[/QUOTE]

He takes a pill twice a day and that seems to bring it down. He was running over 300 when he was first diagnosed but now its around 130 before he eats.

I just want him to have a good time and have a treat once a day-his treats at home is sugar free ice cream.

:biggrin: Unless he exercises like a maniac at home on a regular basis, all the walking will help bring it down! Enjoy your treat!! ( best to do it after you’ve had some type of protein to help level off the rush!!)