Suggestions Anyone?

Hi, everyone! My name is Hope. I’ve been here for a while, lurking around :ninja: and I guess I just got so comfortable reading everyone’s posts that I forgot you guys had no idea I even existed! :blush: In my defense, I was usually surfing during my lunch break at work and didn’t reallly have time to post and by the time I got home every day I just forgot! So! Hi and I can’t tell you how much I have enjoyed reading all of your posts and soaking in your Disney knowledge! Everyone at work thinks I am the biggest Disney fanatic around… Ha! If they only knew about all of you… of course, then they’d probably get you all to help plan their trips instead of me so I will keep you as my little secret! :angel:

I have a dilema. My DD, Mallory (almost 18), will be graduating in 2013 and I want to do something amazing for her. At the same time my DS, Brody (almost 12 and who up to this point has NOT been on the Disney bandwagon with his sister and I) has decided that he wants to be the leader of our little 3 person band on our next trip! For me, this is just as exciting as my baby girl graduating because for YEARS I’ve had to publically face the shame of having a child that did not share my WDW love. People have gone so far as to ask me if he was adopted! :pinch:

Brody has been to WDW twice in his life, the first time he was really too small to remember (around 3). The last time he went (around 5) was just days after a very unfortunate go-cart accident so needless to say he was VERY skittish of anything that moved. It was a horrible experience and he has, until now, refused to go back! I feel kind of torn! I want to make Mallory’s graduation trip something to remember and I also want to make this the trip that finally brings Brody back into the Disney fold!

I would never consider a trip to WDW “old hat”… but I’m afraid if that’s all we do it will just be another trip to Mallory. I’m really trying to figure out a way to make it a special event for both kids at the same time… Any suggestions? I’ve considered a combination cruise/WDW trip… we’ve never done the cruise thing before. If I cruise I definitely want to cruise with Disney. I guess I could even do the trips separately… I really don’t want to go to WDW during the busy summer months. I’d rather do a spring or fall trip. We rang in 2012 at WDW so I really don’t want to do that again. I’d like to go during milder weather. I’m open to suggestions and I know if anyone can help me get some ideas it’s all of you! :mickey:

I look forward to hearing what you think and thank you in advance!

Hi Hope and welcome to Mousebuzz!

As I was reading about your kids and the difference in opinion on WDW I thought a Disney Cruise would be the perfect thing. I was so excited when I saw you mention it later in the post.

We went on our first cruise for my step daughter’s graduation spring break. It was a great spring break trip because the ship cannot get any more crowded than at any other time. If your spring break does not fall around Easter the price is more affordable. But, if you are flexible anyway, then go on the website and do some pricing out now. We are already booked for our 5th cruise in 2013 already.

The cruise is Disney, but with activities your DS will enjoy on his own if he wants to. The kids groups give something for everyone.

The other option if you do WDW is tempting him with water parks or more thrill rides - even a side trip to Universal if that’s what it takes. :laugh:

Keep us posted.

Hi Hope, good to see you here.

Neither of my 2 sons likes to spend time at Disney. What can you do. I hope you get your Brody roped in :smile:

Mild weather - November

Welcome, Hope! Sounds like you fit right in.

Sigh. I don’t think I have anything to add. I’m not helpful.

Welcome to MouseBuzz Hope! I second going in the fall, great weather and low crowds. How about allowing Mallory to bring a friend along, that would make the trip special for her. A cruise sounds wonderful to me - I have never cruised, due to my stick in the mud husband, but I can’t imagine not having a great and memorial time. :0)

Welcome Hope, so glad you joined us

Glad you have joined us. I would also suggest the friend. That way if the kids want to do different things they can.

[QUOTE=Dopey;1117108]
Mild weather - November[/QUOTE]

Dopey… I thought that time of year was on the hush hush!!

Welcome Hope! Glad you finally chimed in!

Another vote for your daughter bringing a friend. Just seems like even numbers work out better, ride wise, and then when your daughter and friend go off on their own at times, you can have some good one and one time with your son. Although he may have reservations, I’m sure after his first ride, he will be on board to have a great time. He’s at the perfect age, I believe, as he will probably get over his fears much quicker and really start enjoying the thrill rides. And, if he doesn’t like thrill rides, that’s okay because there is so much more to do. But, I would recommend if he has reservations about getting on a ride, push him to try it, as he will be pleasantly surprised how awesome it will be.

As far as time to go, I like October and November the best, but if you don’t want to take your son out of school, we would always go at the very end of August. Yes, its hot, but the crowds are so much better than peak time in the summer.

Welcome to MB! There is a good group of people here. Looking forward to your input also!

Welcome to MouseBuzz Hope. I was thinking maybe your son would enjoy it more if HE invited a friend. Also, show him some videos on you-tube of the water parks and some of the new coasters that are there since he was last there. I bet he’ll love it once he’s there.

Hi Hope! Welcome.
I third (fourth?) the friend idea! We are a family of 3 and bringing a 4th person is fabulous and well worth the “cost”! You will be the awesome mom!! :slight_smile:

Welcome, Hope! I am happy that you are out of lurk mode and posting.

I am taking my daughter in August as her graduation gift and we go every year. How did I make this vacation special and significant for her? I am bringing three of her friends along.

Welcome to Mousebuzz…I think I might let both of the kids bring friends and you might want to bring one too. I would also try some new things. They have a lot of great tours and programs that your kids might be interested in participating in. You might want to get one of the Disney guide books. I always use the Birnbaum Guide (it has coupons in the back) let your son take the lead and guide him with things everyone might like to do. If he is the lead planner he might be more interested in going. When we go we usually get the Deluxe meal plan…everyone picks the restaurants they would like to eat at, and which ever restaurants have the most votes are the one we eat at. This way everyone is happy. Good luck with your planning. Can’t wait to hear all about your trip.

Welcome to Mousebuzz! Do a WDW trip but have both kids VERY involved in the planning. If they help plan the more excited they may be. A great special occasion event are the fireworks cruises for Wishes and Illuminations. We’ve done both for birthdays and these were big hits! These are expensive but a very unique way to celebrate.

Welcome Hope!:happy: Too bad you didn’t introduce yourself earlier - we could have staged an intervention for Brody!:laugh:

I agree that you should consider letting both bring along a friend. Order the WDW Planning DVD (it’s free) and sit down together to watch it. It’s bound to put everyone in the mood for Disney! I think that if Brody has a friend along, and realizes at the age of 12 he’s freer to do a lot of things he couldn’t when he was 5, he’ll hop right on board. Review all the resorts - see which one appeals to your family the most. Personally, we like Sept. for visiting, but October is great too. MNSSHP is up and running!

Welcome Hope!

I too agree with letting him bring a freind along if he likes. My oldest DS started to question going when he was that age too but after telling him of the extra things he could do at that age he was on board and enjoyed himself so much that trip that he has a new appreciation for WDW that he had lost when he got into the later pre-teen stage.
I suggest November too if you can take him out of school.

Awww, you guys are awesome! Thanks for making me feel so welcome! :wub: Mallory gets to take her person of choice each time we go so she’ll get to do that this time, too. I did think about letting Brody take someone. I’m glad you guys reminded me about that! I’ve kind of thought he’d be more apt to put his brave face on if he had a buddy with him. :cool: I’ve been showing him the trip reports with all the awesome pictures on top of the planning DVDs. Can’t be too sneaky, right?! He is really excited about going and keeps asking me when it will be so I think if I can get everything planned out to please BOTH of them I’ll be home free! Letting them both help is an awesome idea! I’m thinking, too, that adding some special meals and staying somewhere different from our norm would shake it up a bit. Great suggestion! We always stay at one of the All Star value resorts. Maybe bumping it up to another resort would add an element of excitement for Mallory. I really want to stay at Art of Animation but after seeing LMM’s Beach Club trip report I definitely want to try that one out, too! And, of course, Animal Kingdom Lodge would be an awesome location, too! Soo many choices! :slight_smile: Maybe I will let them decide!

I’m thinking now that it might be better to separate the trips but still do both. I grew up at WDW so I don’t think there was a time of the year I didn’t get to go. Let’s see… the kids (mostly Mallory!) have been to WDW in October, May, June, July, December and January. October was our absolute favorite trip. The weather, the crowds… it was all glorious! I have a feeling Spring would be just as glorious. I just have to figure out when. I do NOT want to stand in two hour lines and be run over by people every time I turn around. I love the Mouse’s house but I’d rather love it with less people! I also have to plan around their school holidays, which stinks. When they were younger their teachers were more accepting of them missing a few days here and there. Now? Not so much…

I have to go back now and read thru all the replies so I can write all of your awesome ideas down in my notes! :smile:

I’ve also got to figure out how to pull quotes out of your replies so I can answer specific things from each of you. I promise I’m not trying to be rude by not responding to each of you individually. It’s just been a LONG time since I’ve been active in a forum! I have to get my wheels back under me. :blush:

[QUOTE=officegirlblues;1117210]Awww, you guys are awesome! Thanks for making me feel so welcome! :wub: Mallory gets to take her person of choice each time we go so she’ll get to do that this time, too. I did think about letting Brody take someone. I’m glad you guys reminded me about that! I’ve kind of thought he’d be more apt to put his brave face on if he had a buddy with him. :cool: I’ve been showing him the trip reports with all the awesome pictures on top of the planning DVDs. Can’t be too sneaky, right?! He is really excited about going and keeps asking me when it will be so I think if I can get everything planned out to please BOTH of them I’ll be home free! Letting them both help is an awesome idea! I’m thinking, too, that adding some special meals and staying somewhere different from our norm would shake it up a bit. Great suggestion! We always stay at one of the All Star value resorts. Maybe bumping it up to another resort would add an element of excitement for Mallory. I really want to stay at Art of Animation but after seeing LMM’s Beach Club trip report I definitely want to try that one out, too! And, of course, Animal Kingdom Lodge would be an awesome location, too! Soo many choices! :slight_smile: Maybe I will let them decide!

I’m thinking now that it might be better to separate the trips but still do both. I grew up at WDW so I don’t think there was a time of the year I didn’t get to go. Let’s see… the kids (mostly Mallory!) have been to WDW in October, May, June, July, December and January. October was our absolute favorite trip. The weather, the crowds… it was all glorious! I have a feeling Spring would be just as glorious. I just have to figure out when. I do NOT want to stand in two hour lines and be run over by people every time I turn around. I love the Mouse’s house but I’d rather love it with less people! I also have to plan around their school holidays, which stinks. When they were younger their teachers were more accepting of them missing a few days here and there. Now? Not so much…

I have to go back now and read thru all the replies so I can write all of your awesome ideas down in my notes! :smile:

I’ve also got to figure out how to pull quotes out of your replies so I can answer specific things from each of you. I promise I’m not trying to be rude by not responding to each of you individually. It’s just been a LONG time since I’ve been active in a forum! I have to get my wheels back under me. :blush:[/QUOTE]

Hope…at the bottom of this window…bottom right corner is a box that says quote. Click on that and it pulls up a window with the quote of the person you wish to reply…try it on me if you like…:happy:

HI Welcome to mousebuzz…I don’t have much more to add that has not been said already.

:biggrin: Woohoo! Thanks, Smallworld!