Survey at check in

After we checked in to Beach Club last week we were asked if we would participate in a survey. The CM explained what we would have to do and asked if we were willing to spend a few minutes each day recording certain parts of our day. Being the good guests we are we agreed. She gave us a spiral journal and a pen (she smiled and said it was ours to keep when we finished), explained the details and sent us on our way.

We had to check a box for where we went each day. We were asked to record how much (and where) we spent on food, snacks, and drinks. We also had to record the amount of any purchases we made and where. By saving receipts this was easy to do at the end of the day. We also had to count and record the number of shops we visited and how many fastpasses we used each day.

It was fun to do and didn’t take any real time away from our trip. I was done before we got on our DME bus so I dropped it in the mail before we even left. We didn’t see anyone else in the lobby doing any kind of surveys the rest of the week so I guess we just timed it right.

Anyone else asked to keep a journal during your recent trip?

That does sound great and I think, were I to do this survey, it would be a wake up call for me as to how much money we REALLY spend.

I think it really would be a wake up call for us most trips too. We charge everything back to the room and think very little about what we’re spending so things can add up quickly. However, this trip was different as far as what we bought, none of us saw much we wanted to buy. I spent more on a thank you gift for the dog sitter than I did on Nate. We bought Christmas presents for a nephew who loves Star Wars and Legos and that’s about it.

Food and drink are always our big expenses. We enjoy a drink or two with most meals and like to have a drink or two while we stroll around Epcot or hang around the pool. We didn’t purposely cut back on this trip but we didn’t spend as much as we usually do for some reason. When we got our room charges on our last day we were pleasantly surprised at how little was on the sheet.

Shhhh… that’s the best kept secret, otherwise if we knew we may not keep going back.

Have never heard of that… it would be awesome to do I think.

exactly, my thought is that Disney is making a mistake asking guests to keep track of their spending.

They could have asked my accountant husband. he does this in his head, throughout the day. He drove me crazy before we left… asking me how much every restaurant cost. Only because we have always done the DDP, and it has not really been an issue. This time if it sounded too high, it was out before it got started… even if we just ate there last time. oh well… They would think that we were so frugal compared to some people.

I hope I get this survey. It would be an easy way to make yourself keep track of what you spend. Wonder what its purpose is?

That would be dh’s dream - having me have to keep track of my daily spending.:dry:

…I have an accountant hubby too…always analyzing cost and depreciation and tax right off etc etc…drive me nuts!!! :laugh:

smallworld- it really is a small world. Our first child was a December baby, and all of his friends were so excited that we would get a deduction that year. That was when I knew life would never be the same.
We had to get a printout of our bill from our recent trip. Not to question what was spent, but to analyze where we were spending our money… Really? he did Disney’s survey anyway.

[QUOTE=hanwill;1118632]smallworld- it really is a small world. Our first child was a December baby, and all of his friends were so excited that we would get a deduction that year. That was when I knew life would never be the same.
We had to get a printout of our bill from our recent trip. Not to question what was spent, but to analyze where we were spending our money… Really? he did Disney’s survey anyway.[/QUOTE]

:laugh::laugh: DD got married last summer…we managed to somehow keep him in the dark while planning because some friend of his told him it was better that way!!!

The reason I don’t even ask him about any kind of DVC membership is because he will dissect the whole thing…and tell me why it’s not practical for us…

One time in Myrtle Beach when we were first married long ago we were asked to attend a time share tour and lecture and receive a small outdoor grill. ( I know DVC isn’t a time share) we attended the tour and lecture and then DH asked for a hand calculator and proceeded to tell the agent how much money they would make off of us and how much we would lose blah blah blah…the agent finally looked at us got up and went to get the grill…he gave up on the sale!!! :laugh:

[QUOTE=smallworld;1118634]:laugh::laugh: DD got married last summer…we managed to somehow keep him in the dark while planning because some friend of his told him it was better that way!!!

The reason I don’t even ask him about any kind of DVC membership is because he will dissect the whole thing…and tell me why it’s not practical for us…

One time in Myrtle Beach when we were first married long ago we were asked to attend a time share tour and lecture and receive a small outdoor grill. ( I know DVC isn’t a time share) we attended the tour and lecture and then DH asked for a hand calculator and proceeded to tell the agent how much money they would make off of us and how much we would lose blah blah blah…the agent finally looked at us got up and went to get the grill…he gave up on the sale!!! :laugh:[/QUOTE]

I think my husband has a long lost brother… haha!

Thumbs in my ears, fingers in my eyes, going “nah, nah, nah, nah”

If I ever knew what I really spent, I would be doing a staycation… Thank goodness math ins’t a strong suit.

Nah, we always keep our receipts just to see what we save with the dining plan. But, I do spend more on crap than I expect to.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Just slightly threadjacking ( sorry DT) SW Love your avatar! Is that your daughter who just married? Beautiful, simply beautiful.

Sounds like a really useful tool for WDW. I likey!

That is super cool. I secretly hope I am asked to do the same thing at Art of Animations.

Dixie…she got married last summer…so this is a year old…but she is my Disney buddy…I don’t have anyone else to go with…although an adult now, she will always be my Disney princess…we are pretty close…:heart:

Yes!! I got this survey too, just after checking in at POR last February. I didn’t get around to it until we got home, but it was a breeze for me since I keep track of my finances with receipts anyways.

Interestingly enough, even though we could see how much we were shopping, and spending, it didn’t really change our habits. I mean, we’re on vacation after all :laugh:

The best part is we got a $25 Disney gift card in the mail, a couple weeks after sending it back.