Switching Resorts

I absolutely love staying at POR because of the easy access to Downtown Disney via boat. However, I have always wanted to stay at CBR.

My sister and I will be staying for 8 days in WDW next spring. Our Mom will be joining us 4 days in. Would it be worth it to stay at CBR the first 4 days and then changeover to POR or POFQ once my Mom joins us? Or would this be too much of a hassle and/or take too much time away from our vacation?

We change resorts at least half of the time. It’s not much work if you plan well. I pack a bag for part of our stay so we don’t have to totally up pack and repack for the move. Disney will move your luggage for yor while you are out enjoying the parks. Keep in mind that they don’t move any luggage until about 3 pm so you won’t have it until at least the middle of the afternoon on the day of your move.

I agree with DisneyTeacher, it is easy to do if you plan for it. Disney takes care of most of the arrangements.

It’s just a matter of patience. We just switched resorts, 2 nights BLT and 5 nights AKV. The packing/unpacking really wasn’t the problem, it was the wait for the room. We checked out of BLT real early in the morning, and then didn’t get our AKV room until close to 3:00pm. We were at the parks, but I kept checking my cell phone to see if I got the voicemail it’s ready, and the boys wanted to go back for a quick nap early afternoon, but couldn’t because the room wasn’t ready. Kind of put underlying stress that day, so for myself, won’t split again. But, then again Disney does make it work for everyone with transfering and holding the bags, and then contacting you when it is ready.

[QUOTE=mairinmaureen;1027001]I absolutely love staying at POR because of the easy access to Downtown Disney via boat. However, I have always wanted to stay at CBR.

My sister and I will be staying for 8 days in WDW next spring. Our Mom will be joining us 4 days in. Would it be worth it to stay at CBR the first 4 days and then changeover to POR or POFQ once my Mom joins us? Or would this be too much of a hassle and/or take too much time away from our vacation?[/QUOTE]

Do you generally book packages or do you do room-only reservations?

This is a very important question for someone considering a split stay. If you generally book packages, then go ahead and book a package for your first resort stay, at CBR. As part of that package, buy the exact size park ticket you’ll need for your entire WDW trip. Then book the second resort, POFQ/POR, as a room-only reservation.

Doing it this way will save you HUNDREDS of dollars as compared with booking both as packages.

Let’s say you’ll need 8 days of park tickets. An 8-day base ticket purchased as part of the first package will cost you $237; ticket entitlements are good for 14 days fropm the date of first use … in other words, the ticket doesn’t expire just because you checked out of the resort.

So that 8-dat ticket will cost you $237. If you book a package for each of your two stays, each package with a 4-day park ticket, each 4-day ticket will cost you $225, or $450 total.

If you already know this stuff, sorry to waste your time!:cool:

We’ve done the resort switch a few times, but then again, we have our own car, so it’s much easier.
It also helps for you to plan for your room switch as you unpack and move in for your first leg.

I’d like to give different advice than Cleve just gave.
If you are including a meal plan, book the first package as normal with the exception that you buy your ticket for your entire length of stay, up to 10 days. Remember 10 days is the maximum length of an MYW ticket. For more than 10 days, you’d be better off with an annual pass anyway.

If you do that, book with a one day ticket and then use that ticket for credit towards the AP upgrade.

Book the second package as normal with one exception, book with only a one day base ticket. Now, hold on to that one day ticket and don’t use it.
That ticket is good for 30 years and you can use that ticket on your next trip for credit towards an AP or for additional options on next year’s ticket (i.e. park hopper).

Remember, in order to include the dining plan with your room, you only need to buy a one day, one park base ticket for each of the people in your room. You don’t need to buy length of stay passes.

Food for thought.

Oh, to comments about not getting into your room soon enough, there are ways around this too.
First, many times, your room is/will be ready much sooner than 3 PM. So you can always chance it.
Another option is to go to parks early and also grab breakfast.
Evacuate your first room between 11 AM and Noon. Now move to your new hotel and check in. By now it’s close to 1 PM and the chances are now 60/40 your room is ready. If not, head back to a park for a few hours.
Again, this strategy is mostly for those with their own car.
I can’t comment on transferring using guest services to move my baggage.

I have made the switch 3 times, 2 with my own vehilce and it was real easy. The one time we flew down and made a switch they “lost” our luggage from All-Star Movies to All-Star Sports and it didn’t make for a good evening when they didn’t find it until almost midnight. We spent the evening at the MK and it had rained so coming back to a room with no dry clothes to change into and 4 dk’s didn’t make for a good switch.

That is great advice. We did a split stay last year to use two weeks of the buy4get3 promotion. We did just this and still have our one day ticket left over. I didn’t realize that we could use it as a credit towards something. Thanks for the tip!

[QUOTE=Mickey Mom;1027136]That is great advice. We did a split stay last year to use two weeks of the buy4get3 promotion. We did just this and still have our one day ticket left over. I didn’t realize that we could use it as a credit towards something. Thanks for the tip![/QUOTE]An unused ticket can be upgraded. Upgrades can only be done on a one-for-one basis. That is, you can upgrade that 1-day base ticket to ANY ticket you want, but what you can’t do is combine two tickets into one larger one.

An example of something you CAN’T do: Buy a ticket as part of a package for next year’s trip, and then use this year’s leftover 1-day ticket to add park hopping or add days to the new ticket … two tickets can’t be combined into one.

I thought about doing this in September I’m booked for CBR but would like to try POR. There will be 7 going this time and I thought it would be a hassle. Maybe I will try it:happy:

I’m not so sure about that.
There are a few times we’ve taken two one day, one park tickets and used them both for our AP renewals. That is, each of us had two tickets and we each got a price reduction on our AP equal to the two tickets.
I do realize I’m talking about APs and not tickets. Unless it’s because of the reducing price of extra days?

So, you can switch if you have the dining plan?

I never realized that you could do a switch half way through (never thought about it) and this would be perfect for our trip in October! DH wants to stay at OKW, but I long for the CBR, and DS wants AKL.

Thank you for the great idea!

We just did our first split stay 2 weeks ago and it was really easy, but given the option I don’t know if I would do it again. They transferred our luggage for us and our room was actually ready at 11:30AM at BC when we arrived after leaving AKV, so that was a huge plus. I think I like only settling all in once though.

As for the dining plan we used the QS plan for the first half and the Regular DDP for the second half. You just have to make sure you use up all your credits before midnight of your checkout days because they do not transfer to your new resort.

[QUOTE=Brett’s Mommy;1027430]So, you can switch if you have the dining plan?

I never realized that you could do a switch half way through (never thought about it) and this would be perfect for our trip in October! DH wants to stay at OKW, but I long for the CBR, and DS wants AKL.

Thank you for the great idea![/QUOTE]Well, yes, you CAN do a split stay with the Disney Dining Plan on each reservation, but under most (***) circumstances it will cost you much more money than if you did one larger package at one resort.

*** [This would not apply to AP holders, DVC owners staying on points, and perhaps a very few other very specialized circumstances.]

[QUOTE=CleveRocks;1027442]Well, yes, you CAN do a split stay with the Disney Dining Plan on each reservation, but under most (***) circumstances it will cost you much more money than if you did one larger package at one resort.

*** [This would not apply to AP holders, DVC owners staying on points, and perhaps a very few other very specialized circumstances.][/QUOTE]

Thank you! It is def. something to talk to DH about…we have decided to become DVC owners this year (after thinking about it for the past two), so I’m hoping to split resorts this trip, just so we can try it once.

[QUOTE=CleveRocks;1027442]Well, yes, you CAN do a split stay with the Disney Dining Plan on each reservation, but under most (***) circumstances it will cost you much more money than if you did one larger package at one resort.

*** [This would not apply to AP holders, DVC owners staying on points, and perhaps a very few other very specialized circumstances.][/QUOTE]

At first I wasn’t going to reply, but on second thought,

You’re wrong! It will not cost you “much” more money unless you’ve got a huge family and will not be returning to WDW, ever, which means you won’t be able to cash in those unused tickets.

Consider, the cost of the hotel at rack rate is fixed, the cost of tickets is fixed, and the cost of the dining plan is fixed.
The only extra expense if you do it my way is for the extra one day tickets on your second half of your vacation.
The most likely way you’re going to pay way more is if one half of your stay is at a value and the second half you’re staying at a deluxe. And that’s because you’re staying in a hotel that charges $200-400 a night more. Of course, these days there is about a $100 a night difference between values and mods as well.

[QUOTE=mairinmaureen;1027001]I absolutely love staying at POR because of the easy access to Downtown Disney via boat. However, I have always wanted to stay at CBR.

My sister and I will be staying for 8 days in WDW next spring. Our Mom will be joining us 4 days in. Would it be worth it to stay at CBR the first 4 days and then changeover to POR or POFQ once my Mom joins us? Or would this be too much of a hassle and/or take too much time away from our vacation?[/QUOTE]

WDw makes it pretty easy to switch. They trasnport the luggage for you, so all you have to do is show up and check in. That being said, I found it to be a pain and wouldn’t do it again. It took to much time to pack up, check out, check in and unpack again. It feels like you waste a day doing that. I personally wouldn’t do that again unless I was staying 10+ days. Many people on here do it and have no issues with it. I just don’t think it’s worth losing a day.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1027612]At first I wasn’t going to reply, but on second thought,

You’re wrong! It will not cost you “much” more money unless you’ve got a huge family and will not be returning to WDW, ever, which means you won’t be able to cash in those unused tickets.

Consider, the cost of the hotel at rack rate is fixed, the cost of tickets is fixed, and the cost of the dining plan is fixed.
The only extra expense if you do it my way is for the extra one day tickets on your second half of your vacation.
The most likely way you’re going to pay way more is if one half of your stay is at a value and the second half you’re staying at a deluxe. And that’s because you’re staying in a hotel that charges $200-400 a night more. Of course, these days there is about a $100 a night difference between values and mods as well.[/QUOTE]I think you’d agree that people can have varying opinions on what " much more" money means. There isn’t a “right” or “wrong” there. Wouldn’t it be nice to share opinions without one person apparently taking glee and using an exclamation point to shout at someone thatyou think they’re wrong???

Anyway, a leftover ticket is of no future value if you always book packages … Disney’s official policy is that tickets can only be upgraded on a one for one basis, so your supposed past experiences to the contrary should be considered lucky rather than usual. But of course, for someone who will book a room-only in the future, that leftover unused ticket will have “much” value.

I guess I’ve gotten a litle strident.

Thanks Dana, The DW and I were wondering how we would make the switch to GF from ASMo during our stay. I guess we could leave our luggage with the Bell Services, Then go to Epcot / MK , then slide(Monorail) over to GF to check in. This has helped !!! Thanks again Dana!!!:pirate: