Tables In Wonderland (formerly known as Disney Dining Experience)

Hi, all! If we go to WDW in July, we will be staying off site. Since we are DVC members, I as told we can use TiW if we want to! So I have a few questions…

1 - How much is it to join?
2 - Is there a discount to renew?
3 - Is it worth the price?
4 - Exactly what does it cover?
5 - Are there Exclusions?

We are staying off site and won’t be able to purchase the meal plan. So we’re trying to eat a couple of nice meals, the rest CS. Some even off site. But if the TiW discount is substancial, I will consider it.

So…tell me your experiences with Tables in Wonderland!

i would like to know also. It seems like it is not a great deal if they automatically charge you 18% gratuity. You seem to be saving only 2% total. I just don’t see much savings.

[QUOTE=iluvwdw;928510]Hi, all! If we go to WDW in July, we will be staying off site. Since we are DVC members, I as told we can use TiW if we want to! So I have a few questions…

1 - How much is it to join?
2 - Is there a discount to renew?
3 - Is it worth the price?
4 - Exactly what does it cover?
5 - Are there Exclusions?

We are staying off site and won’t be able to purchase the meal plan. So we’re trying to eat a couple of nice meals, the rest CS. Some even off site. But if the TiW discount is substancial, I will consider it.

So…tell me your experiences with Tables in Wonderland![/QUOTE]

This should answer most of your questions.

Tables in Wonderland (formerly Disney Dining Experience)

We’ve had the card twice. We always come out ahead, I don’t know how much but we save money. Most counter service places don’t take it so I don’t know how much you would save on a couple of meals for a family of four.

Where did you hear DVC members could buy the card? I’ve never heard that, I thought it was just Florida residents and people who have an AP.

I look at it as a 20% savings because I’m going to tip with or w/o the card so I save 20% on all our meals. Basically I look at the card covering all our tips and we tip more than $60 over the week with a group of either 3 or 8 depending on who we’re with.

You would tip without the card, wouldn’t you? Example:

No TiW:
Your family dinner at LeCellier comes to $160. Assuming good service, you tip 20% which is $32, so your total for dinner is $192.

With card:
Your family dinner is $160, but using the card, you save 20% which is $32, bringing dinner to $128 so far. Now, the TiW card automatically charges an 18% grat on the original price which would be $28.80. So, the total dinner is 128+28.8=$156.80

So, for this one dinner alone, you saved $35! We get the TiW card every year. (We almost always leave extra cash on the table since I tip more than 18%)

[QUOTE=leslieh;928538]You would tip without the card, wouldn’t you? Example:

No TiW:
Your family dinner at LeCellier comes to $160. Assuming good service, you tip 20% which is $32, so your total for dinner is $192.

With card:
Your family dinner is $160, but using the card, you save 20% which is $32, bringing dinner to $128 so far. Now, the TiW card automatically charges an 18% grat on the original price which would be $28.80. So, the total dinner is 128+28.8=$156.80

So, for this one dinner alone, you saved $35! We get the TiW card every year. (We almost always leave extra cash on the table since I tip more than 18%)[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the example.

We had a server at Whispering Canyon Cafe tell us she she never understands why people buy the card, it doesn’t save any money since she has to add the 18% to our bill. We tried to explain to her how it really works but she didn’t get it so we gave up.

[QUOTE=DisneyTeacher;928540]Thank you for the example.

We had a server at Whispering Canyon Cafe tell us she she never understands why people buy the card, it doesn’t save any money since she has to add the 18% to our bill. We tried to explain to her how it really works but she didn’t get it so we gave up.[/QUOTE]

:blink: You’d think she would understand??

Even when we have the DDP, we use the TiW card for the appetizers and adult beverages that aren’t included in the DDP. The servers just make two bills- one for the DDP credits and one for the TiW items.

I wish I kept track this year, but I am sure we saved about $500+ using the card.

[QUOTE=leslieh;928541]:blink: You’d think she would understand??

Even when we have the DDP, we use the TiW card for the appetizers and adult beverages that aren’t included in the DDP. The servers just make two bills- one for the DDP credits and one for the TiW items.

I wish I kept track this year, but I am sure we saved about $500+ using the card.[/QUOTE]

We just couldn’t get her to see how we saved any money.

I have no idea how much we saved but it was a lot. We had a group of 8 (four adults, two kids, and two teens) and we had a sit down meal every day of an 8 day trip plus we enjoyed the lounge at Yacht Club a couple of times.

Yes, we have used the card as well, it was definitely worth it, since we do eat all our meals on property.

One of the key things about the TinW card is that it applies to liquor too!!! That is a gigantic savings – let’s say you pop in someplace for a quick snack and a margarita. The card works!

I can’t tell you how much we saved last month by using the card, but it was huge. We had some very expensive meals with expensive wines, and the savings were outrageous.
The card is $60 for AP holders. You cannot get them through DVC, but if I remember correctly, you can get a reduced price on your AP through DVC.

TABLES IN WONDERLAND is a dining discount program for eligible Florida Residents and Annual Passholders 21 and older good for 20 percent off food and beverage at a number of Walt Disney World Resort hotel and theme park restaurants and lounges. The discount is good for up to 10 persons in your party. (Prior to 2005, the DDE, as it was commonly called, was only open to Florida residents.)

– General Membership (Florida Residents ONLY): $85.00
– Annual/Seasonal Passholders’ Rate: $60.00
– Florida Resident (non-Passholder) Renewals: $70.00 (for existing memberships received within 30 days of expiration date)
– Add a second membership for your spouse or partner for only $25 more.

Benefits:

– Members receive a 20% discount on all food and beverage (including alcohol) for up to 10 people at participating table-service Disney restaurants. Effective January 1, 2008 a charge of 18% gratuity will be added to all Tables in Wonderland transactions, regardless of party size.
– Discount applies to member’s check only.

– One card per table. Two cards cannot be combined.

– Member must be present to receive discount.

– Card must be presented when ordering.

– Club Newsletter

– Complimentary parking:

Theme Park for a short period for the sole purpose of dining. You’ll have to pay parking at the toll booth, then after dining, present receipt and parking ticket at Guest Relations for a refund.

Walt Disney World Resorts - when dining at a Walt Disney World resort, valet parking is complimentary. After dining, present a dining receipt at the valet stand.

– Exclusive invitations to special dining events.

WDW-DINE (407-939-3463) will book advance reservations.

Theme park admission is required when dining in Theme Park restaurants.

Participating restaurants are subject to change. Guests will be notified of any changes in future newsletters. See BELOW for a list of restaurants.

Certain restrictions apply during holidays and special events, please check with the restaurant when you make your reservation. Blackout dates include major holidays: Mother’s Day, Easter, 4th of July, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Year’s Eve, New Year’s Day.

This discount cannot be used in combination with any other discount.

This discount cannot be combined with any other discount or package. This includes events such as Fantasmic Dinner Package, Epcot Food and Wine Festival Events, and Candlelight Dinner Packages.

MEMBERSHIP AND CARD INFORMATION: Call the office at (407) 566-5858, Monday through Friday between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. Eastern, or email wdwdisneydiningexperience@disney.com

You can also visit Guest Relations at Epcot, Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdrom, Disney’s Hollywood Studios, or Downtown Disney to pick up a Tables in Wonderland Card.

BY MAIL: Post Office Box 10000, Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830

NOTE: Allow several weeks for processing. Guests planning vacations in the next month should not order by phone but should plan to purchase their card once they arrive at Walt Disney World.

Participating Restaurants and Lounges as of November 2008:

All-Star Music Resort
Intermission Food Court

All-Star Sports Resort
End Zone Food Court

All-Star Movies Resort
World Premiere Food Court

Animal Kingdom Lodge
Boma-Flavors of Africa
Jiko-The Cooking Place
Victoria Falls

Beach Club Resort
Beaches & Cream Soda Shop
(eat in only)
Cape May Cafe
Martha’s Vineyard Lounge
Rip Tide Lounge

BoardWalk
Belle Vue Lounge
ESPN Club
Flying Fish Cafe
Spoodles

Eagle Pines and Osprey Ridge Golf Club
Sand Trap Bar & Grill

Caribbean Beach Resort
Shutters at Old Port Royale

Contemporary Resort
California Grill
Chef Mickey’s
Outer Rim Lounge
The Wave

Coronado Springs Resort
Maya Grill

Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground
Crockett’s Tavern
Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue (9:30 p.m. show only, offered seasonally)
Trail’s End Restaurant

Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
1900 Park Fare
Cítricos
Garden View Lounge
Grand Floridian Cafe
Mizner’s Lounge
Narcoossee’s
Victoria & Albert’s (excluding Chef’s Table)

Old Key West Resort
Olivia’s Cafe

Polynesian Resort
'Ohana
Kona Cafe
Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show (late show only)
Tambu Lounge

Pop Century Resort
Everything Pop Dining (excluding merchandise)
Classic Concoctions

Port Orleans Resort
Riverside:
Boatwright’s Dining Hall
River Roost
French Quarter:
Scat Cat’s Club
Sassagoula Floatworks and Food Factory

Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa
The Turf Club Bar and Grill
The Turf Club Lounge
Artist’s Palette

Wilderness Lodge
Artist Point
Territory Lounge
Whispering Canyon Cafe

Yacht Club Resort
Ale and Compass Lounge
Crew’s Cup Lounge
Captain’s Grille
Yachtsman Steakhouse

DOWNTOWN DISNEY Marketplace
Cap’n Jack’s Restaurant

DOWNTOWN DISNEY Pleasure Island
Raglan Road

DOWNTOWN DISNEY West Side
Planet Hollywood

Epcot
Akershus Royal Banquet Hall
Biergarten Restaurant
Bistro de Paris Restaurant
Chefs de France Restaurant
Coral Reef Restaurant
Tutto Italia Ristorante
Le Cellier Steakhouse
Nine Dragons Restaurant
Restaurant Marrakesh
Rose & Crown Pub & Dining Room
San Angel Inn Restaurante
The Garden Grill Restaurant

Disney’s Hollywood Studios
50’s Prime Time Cafe
Hollywood & Vine
Mama Melrose’s Ristorante Italiano
Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater Restaurant
The Hollywood Brown Derby
Tune-In Lounge

Magic Kingdom
Cinderella’s Royal Table
Liberty Tree Tavern
The Crystal Palace
The Plaza Restaurant
Tony’s Town Square Restaurant

Animal Kingdom
Tusker House Restaurant
Pizzafari
Flame Tree Barbecue
Restaurantosaurus

Disney’s Vero Beach Resort
The Green Cabin Room
Shutters Restaurant
Sonya’s Fine Steaks & Chops (Sunday Brunch not included)

Thanks for the info, everyone! I can’t get it though, since I don’t have an AP! I have no idea why, but I heard somewhere that DVC members were eligible for this. OH WELL. :pinch:

Kim – I don’t know how the math works out for you, but for us, staying for 5 nights, and getting hoppers for 6 days – using the DVC discount for the AP, plus getting the AP discount on the TinW, we ended up doing really well.

I mean, if you have to buy a hopper for yourself anyway, see how it works out to just buy the AP. Find out the difference in cost, add in the $60 for the card and then see what you come up with. You might be able to save that much in discounts on dining/drinking alone. Plus, there are other discounts available to AP holders.

I don’t know how tese people figure you are saving 35.00 looks like you are saving 3.20 on a 160.00 bill. Sure will take a long time to recoup your 70.00. I wonder if the charege the 18% surcharge at the resorts. Bottom line is you are only saving 2% and not 20%.:sad::confused:

Welcome to MouseBuzz. I’ve used the card and stand by the 20% savings since I would tip with or w/o the card.

Yes, exactly, its 20% off the meal.

We’re using it in a couple of weeks. 2 things that really appealed to us: it applies to alcohol, and at WDW we normally tip 20% since the service is really good. 18% will actually save us a few bucks, and we can always add to it when we get really exceptional service.

I’m hoping to do a full study of TiW vs. DDP for our trip. I think we’re making the right decision, but I’m not 100% sure.

Bruce

We have used it several times. Most meals are for the two of us, and even with using the card for just a handful of family meals, it saves us money. Most times one thinks of it at TS meals, but we first got it when we stayed at POP. You save the 20% and have no tip to worry about. We really loved that.

Basically, the math works out to where you are NOT tipping and still having an additional savings. I did the math and saved a TON of money.

We spent $60 on the card, and on one special meal alone, the discount was much greater than that. Remember that the discount also applies to liquor beer and wine. We had Christmas dinner at CG, a very expensive bottle of wine and appetizers, entre and coffee drinks afterward.

Even if we had not had that special over-the-top meal, we would have saved a ton of money. It’s not hard to recoup $60 in food and beverage.

Welcome to MB! If you look towards the top of this thread in post #5, I use a specific example showing you the savings. Check it out!