Taking a laptop to Disney Questions

I’ve never taken my laptop with me but was considering it this trip. A few questions if i may for those that have:

1. what’s the protocol for getting a laptop through the airport? Are they super-nosey and paranoid? Does it have to be out to view or can i just keep it in the case and let it slide through the x-ray machine?

2. how safe is it at the resort? I don’t want to have to hide it, but keep it charging on the table. Should i notify the front desk i have one in the room?
    I don’t think we’ve ever had Mousekeeping steal anything from our room, but i have to admit then i’m a little leery about leaving an $800 laptop out in the open.

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Laptops have to be taken out of the carrying case to go through security.

They’re probably not going to do anything to it, but I have heard of them wanting you to turn it on. It’ll probably just go through with everything else.

Me, I’m paranoid enough not to put the laptop through the X-ray until I know I’m going to walk right through myself. It doesn’t need to be sitting out there while I’m stuck on the other side of the security line.

At the hotel, I wouldn’t leave it out. I’d put it in the safe and charge it at night. Just because. Nothing would probably happen… but you also never know. It’s not just Mousekeeping… the doors sometimes stay open while they’re cleaning… what if the Mousekeeper is cleaning in the bathroom and someone just walks by? I wouldn’t want to worry about it… I’d just lock it up.

DH is a computer technician and travels quite often with is laptop. You do have to take them out and turn them on for the Airport dudes.
As for leaving it at the room, i would go with the suggestion of charging it at night. we had ours with us last time to WDW and during the day we would put ours in a drawer under some clothes…just because you never know!!

I flew out of Louisville and back through Little Rock a few weeks ago. I put my laptop in a padded zippered laptop bag inside a cloth totebag as the leather bag was so heavy. I put the cords/mouse in my luggage. I did not have to remove the laptop from my bag - I asked at both security stations and was told as long as there were no cords and only the laptop in the bag it was fine to leave it in the bag. I felt much more secure carrying it in a totebag as it was not so obvious. I also leave my laptop setting on a table in a hotel room - have done this for years. I have never had a problem. :angel: Hopefully, I won’t ever regret it. :smile:

LikeTinkfans said, you will have to take it out of the case for the screeners and run it through the machine. I have never been asked to turn mine on, but I have seen some passengers pulled off to the side and asked to turn on their systems.

As to in the room, very few if any safes will handle a laptop. We used to just put ours in a drawer under our clothes. Now I have a lock cable and I secure it to something substantial in the room. I have never had a problem w/ mousekeeping, but no need to risk it.

Thank for asking this question. I also need the info for next week.

When I’ve flown, I’ve had to take out the laptop from its bag. I don’t recall if I was made to turn it on or not. I do know that if they insist on making everyone turn theirs on as they watch and then have to wait for it to boot up, nobody would ever get through the lines.
At the hotel, I leave mine out. At this point, with all the other stuff the average person travels with (DVD players and collections, laptops, cameras, camcorders, video game consoles and games) you have to just have faith because if the paranoia of theft will have you packing and hiding everything every time you leave the room.
Especially at theme park hotels, housekeeping or other would be thieves can not be sure when the occupants might return.
The only things that have ever disappeared from our Disney room was some candy and a pair of cheap reading glasses. And yes, my wife found her Smarties tin on the mousekeeping cart. The glasses were gone.

Thanks for all the advice and comments everyone. I feel a lot better about packing up the laptop for the trip now. I do like the idea of placing it in a drawer under some clothes when we leave.

Do you think notifying the front desk that i have one in the room in case something was to happen is pointless?

I have taken mine with me many times. Always had to take it out of the case but never had to turn it on. I believe if you have it in a bag that can open flat (think open like a book) and the computer can be seen then you don’t have to take it out of the bag. Any other type of bag it needs to come out. I have left mine out plenty of times at our DVC without a problem but I like the idea of the security cable (thanks for suggesting it).

With bell services make sure you tell them you have a laptop and they place it in a secure “cage” area. This way it is not just out with all the other luggage. They give you an additional claim ticket for it was well.

Also I recommend taking your own ethernet cable (I think that is what it is called, you know the cable they are suppose to have in the closet). Ours wasn’t there one trip and trying to get one was crazy…it took 3 days, no joke 3 days til someone finally brought us one. Apparently no one knows who takes care of these things an requests were put in an “it isn’t my department” = no cable.

[QUOTE=Dawn;1048756]

With bell services make sure you tell them you have a laptop and they place it in a secure “cage” area. This way it is not just out with all the other luggage. They give you an additional claim ticket for it was well.

Also I recommend taking your own ethernet cable (I think that is what it is called, you know the cable they are suppose to have in the closet). Ours wasn’t there one trip and trying to get one was crazy…it took 3 days, no joke 3 days til someone finally brought us one. Apparently no one knows who takes care of these things an requests were put in an “it isn’t my department” = no cable.[/QUOTE]

Thank you. Something else I didn’t know about bell services and laptops.

A few weeks ago I was asking about the cable thing and someone mentioned getting one 25 FT long. My DS got one from ebay for 4 or 5 bucks.

I don’t know what good it would do. But if you are still worried check your home owners insurance policy to see if the unit is covered for theft during trips or look into a travel insurance policy to relieve any fears.

Smart. The cable in our VWL unit was a 10 footer in March. The cords at the DVC units have always been longer in the past. It wold work but only from one chair at the table. Glad I had packed an extra 25ft cable in my bag.

[QUOTE=tinkfans;1048710]DH is a computer technician and travels quite often with is laptop. You do have to take them out and turn them on for the Airport dudes.
As for leaving it at the room, i would go with the suggestion of charging it at night. we had ours with us last time to WDW and during the day we would put ours in a drawer under some clothes…just because you never know!![/QUOTE]

Note to self…check under Tinkfans clothes. :laugh:

Out of sight - out of mind. But remember that if someone is looking for valuables, they are probably going to check usual hiding places. Safe is best bet if it fits.

I always travel with an ethernet cable and a telephone cord.
I also prefer a mouse over the laptop’s skating rink.

I have traveled with our lap top countless times, both to Disney and other business / pleasure trips. I have never had to turn it on at security at the airport. I always use my own cable. I know I have a good quality cable, and it only cost a few bucks.

Can’t live w/o my wireless mouse.

ditto!:happy:

I prefer to save money on batteries and use a wired mouse.
There’s also less to lose.