Taking Disney transportation with a 5 month old

So, there are 10 of us going in July. DH and I have always rented a car while we are there to get around, just because we found it more convenient. In July when we go, our youngest DD will be 5 months old. We are going back and forth questioning if we should rent a van or just use the Disney transportation. We are staying at Port Orleans-French Quarter, does anyone have any opinions on this? I think one of our main problems with using the transportation is that when you leave the park late at night sometimes, we have noticed VERY long lines for the buses, and we’re just not sure we want to stand on one of those lines at that time of night with a 5 month old in tow. Anyone have any opinions??

I’ve never noticed POFQ having longer lines than any of the other resorts. A plus for FQ is that you are dropped off first when coming back from the parks.

We always use Disney transportaion even though we drive down and have our car. DS was 4 months old on his first trip. Other than the large stroller being a pain we had no problem. However, we did not stay out late as we aren’t night people we are always up very early.

I think that on a busy night they are running buses for each amd every resort, as I noticed a few weeks ago when I stayed at POR. with an 11 month old. At each park, I would notice that our line would stretch sometimes past 3 other bus lines, while POFQ NEVER had a line. THink about it, there are less people going back to POFQ than anywhere else on property… And it is relatively quick to get from that hotel to the other parks (AK being the longest). I would say save yourself the money and not worry about it.

I was concerned about holding the baby forever as well, so I rented a stroller from Orlandostrollerrental.com (per Allears). We LOVED the stoller. It was not too big, very easily folded up, and reclined so that the baby could take a nap. I would highly recommend this company, and I am a germ freak. They even dropped it off at one hotel, and picked it up at another with no problem.

One thing I did notice was that less people were using Disney strollers inside the parks. It was very convenient to leave that baby in the stoller when we were standing in line for buses, etc.

Good luck in your decision.

I personally, would never drive over Disney transportation. First, renting a car is expensive and so is gas! Second, I really don’t believe it is faster. Most especially at MK. You have to take a tram from your parking spot to TTC then wait for the boat or monorail. Plus with a baby this means you are closing and opening the stroller three times. With the bus, you may wait a few min, but once you are on, you get dropped off at the door to MK.

I could not agree more about the stroller rental though. Either take your own or rent from an all-week company. There are lots of places outside the park where you will be very glad to have that stroller.

[QUOTE=alilmagical32;1105320]I personally, would never drive over Disney transportation. First, renting a car is expensive and so is gas! Second, I really don’t believe it is faster. Most especially at MK. You have to take a tram from your parking spot to TTC then wait for the boat or monorail. Plus with a baby this means you are closing and opening the stroller three times. With the bus, you may wait a few min, but once you are on, you get dropped off at the door to MK.

I could not agree more about the stroller rental though. Either take your own or rent from an all-week company. There are lots of places outside the park where you will be very glad to have that stroller.[/QUOTE]

You summed up everything I was going to say. We’ve always used Disney’s transportation, and, as a primary driver, I find it relaxing not having to worry about traffic.

We’ve travelled to Disney with all our children as babies, and we’ve always used the Disney transportation. For later evenings when bus lines were long, we would use a cab service (they are easily found in the parking areas near the bus stops for Epcot, Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios). The cab ride costs approx $10-15 and you get a quick, direct ride home w/o waiting or standing on a crowded bus holding a baby (which we’ve also experienced)!

The only park that I wouldn’t suggest this option is for MK as you would need to take the boat to the transportation center, so I would stick with the bus service there.

We have did the buses a couple of times with DS. We had stopped because one the time I had to hold DS when DH had the stroller. People were sitting there staring at me the whole time and I just wanted to yell out at them if you think this is unsafe why don’t you give up your seat.

Also during the same bus ride a father tried to get DH to move to get to his crying child that the mother had. Not only did he tell DH to move which he refused because he could not move, he also had put his other child across 2 seats because he was sleeping. I think the father was about to punch my DH but someone told him to calm down.

[QUOTE=Mickey Mom;1105414]We’ve travelled to Disney with all our children as babies, and we’ve always used the Disney transportation. For later evenings when bus lines were long, we would use a cab service (they are easily found in the parking areas near the bus stops for Epcot, Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios). The cab ride costs approx $10-15 and you get a quick, direct ride home w/o waiting or standing on a crowded bus holding a baby (which we’ve also experienced)!

The only park that I wouldn’t suggest this option is for MK as you would need to take the boat to the transportation center, so I would stick with the bus service there.[/QUOTE]

You could always walk to the Contemporary and get a cab from there. It’s a short walk from the buss stop at the MK.

[QUOTE=yankeevttch;1105426]We have did the buses a couple of times with DS. We had stopped because one the time I had to hold DS when DH had the stroller. People were sitting there staring at me the whole time and I just wanted to yell out at them if you think this is unsafe why don’t you give up your seat.

Also during the same bus ride a father tried to get DH to move to get to his crying child that the mother had. Not only did he tell DH to move which he refused because he could not move, he also had put his other child across 2 seats because he was sleeping. I think the father was about to punch my DH but someone told him to calm down.[/QUOTE]

That is a VERY atypical experience. I’ve witnessed countless times people giving up their seats for parents with small children. And the child taking 2 seats–well, there are jerks every where.

I was once on a bus from MK to Pop after closing. The bus was crowded, and DS has asked me how the words to “Zippity Doo Dah” go. Well, in less than a minute, we had the entire bus, including the driver, singing and laughing. It was one of the best Disney moments we’ve had.

Thank you everyone for the advice! We decided to try the Disney transportation this time! DH and I decided that if it gets too annoying with the baby, then we will just rent a car once there, or use some cabs, etc. Our 2 other daughters are excited about going on “Disney” buses! lol

I have met the most interesting and nice people on the busses. It’s truly a part of our vacation. You just have to go with the attitude that it’s meshed with your day. Of the people over the years who have complained, there is always one common element…they look at their watch and harp on every minute passed. Whereas, if you start talking with other guests, the bus driver, even your family (put the cell phones away people!), the ride will get you there in no time, and you will have good memories of conversations as part of your trip.

One more question everyone…just wondering what time the bus service starts in the mornings. We have a few breakfast reservations, and I want to make sure we get there in time. Also, when we do Chef Mickey’s one morning, I know the bus won’t take us directly to the hotel, so we would probably have to take the bus to MK and then walk to contemporary. So, does anyone have any idea on what time the buses start in the A.M.?

Bus service starts 1 hour prior to park opening. There will be a designated turnstile at the park for guests with dining reservations.

For Chef Mickeys, you can walk from MK, but taking the monorail is much more exciting! After leaving the bus station keep the left as you walk towards the MK entrance, you can’t miss the monorail station!

[QUOTE=yankeevttch;1105426] People were sitting there staring at me the whole time and I just wanted to yell out at them if you think this is unsafe why don’t you give up your seat.
[/QUOTE]

This kind of stuff makes me crazy. I never sit if there is a lady standing, baby or no baby, just the way I was raised. Heck if there is a a baby involved I make my kids stand as well.

Random acts of kindness take so little to do and the payback is huge.

Now if it was Cavey standing there, then I might have to stretch out across a few seats…

-Harry

[QUOTE=Campbell87;1105559]Bus service starts 1 hour prior to park opening. There will be a designated turnstile at the park for guests with dining reservations.

For Chef Mickeys, you can walk from MK, but taking the monorail is much more exciting! After leaving the bus station keep the left as you walk towards the MK entrance, you can’t miss the monorail station![/QUOTE]

Yes, I love the monorail too :wub:
One of the days we have a reservation at Crystal Palace at 8am, and the park doesn’t open until 9am, so does that mean transportation doesn’t start until 8am? If so, we won’t get to our dining reservation in time.

no it will be running before that… there will be a way for you to get to your ressie. do not worry about it.

[QUOTE=NJMommy;1105567]Yes, I love the monorail too :wub:
One of the days we have a reservation at Crystal Palace at 8am, and the park doesn’t open until 9am, so does that mean transportation doesn’t start until 8am? If so, we won’t get to our dining reservation in time.[/QUOTE]

Just speak with Guest Services regarding your concern of getting there. They will assist and give you available options.

buses start more than an hour before park opening. if you have a ressie for breakfast at 8, the buses will be there by 7-7:15 easy… i have done this for years for an 8 am breakfast. Do not worry at all, just get to the bus stop early so it does not make you nervous waiting.

Great everyone! Thank you!!! :wub: