Taking kids out of school

Trying to figure out the length of a trip that is ok for kids. Right now Florie and Andrew are 5 and almost 3. If we go when we’re planning in 3 years Andrew will be in SK and Florie will be in grade 2. We are planning on going during mid Sept. and I’m wanting to go for 14 days. Chris’s worry is that 14 days is to much to take them out. But I’m thinking that if we ask for some school work and do a bit of work on non park days it would be fine.

My question is… what have others done and or what do schools usually say about taking kids out for so many days?

I don’t believe I heard of anyone taking kids out of school for two weeks. When our kids were young, it was a week at the most. And it was the cost that kept the trip at that length.

Oh, do it. The school will freak out. They’ll live.

Sorry. I have an attitude. I get tired of hearing from the school how they need every precious second of instruction time… except for the hour spent here or there for the fundraising kick-off. And then for their actual fundraiser. And then for “movie day” and this and that and another. It’s SECOND GRADE. This isn’t going to affect her transcripts for college. :happy:

Their TRUE motivation, as far as I’m concerned, is the money they lose when kids aren’t in school. And when they poor-mouth, I laugh at them. If they’ve got the money to waste in some of the truly stupid ways that they do, they’ll live if my kids are out of school.

THAT SAID… in our school district, being out for more than 5 days of unexcused absence is considered a truancy and could be turned into a law-enforcement/child protective services issue. It’s one of those things I would LOVE to take on.

(I hope your kids have wonderful teachers who realize the importance of family time. They may not be able to give you all of the work ahead of time because they may not have it easily available and I also believe teachers shouldn’t have to go out of their way to accommodate something like this… but they can certainly make it harder or easier depending on their attitude.)

Here in our county, the 2nd grader would miss a lot for two weeks. I think it depends on your school district, their teachers and the rules set by the school.

There is a rule here that the teacher only has to excuse a child for illness, death of a relative and a school sanctioned event. All other excused absences are left up to the teacher and the principal. If they don’t want to excuse a child they don’t have to…and…if they don’t, you can be subject to truancy laws. Even if you have a certain number of excused absences, you can be referred to the truant office for not having a child in school enough days. teachers are not required to provide any make up work beyond a certain number of days here. I’ve never known anyone who took their children out of school for two weeks at Disney.

For me personally, I could never justify taking a child out of school after they started Kindergarten ----beyond a few days. As they get older, it becomes even harder. We got to the point where we worked around holidays and tacked on an extra day to that…or went during the Christmas break.

Find out from your school system how long is acceptable to take them out of your school system for a family trip. Perhaps you can go one week that trip and go back the next year for another week? Or go back as soon as they are out of school for the summer?

Good luck with your decision. :happy:

You will need to check with your school, because too many days missed within a school term can have consequences in some counties. Here in N. Fl if a student misses more than 5 days without an excused absence (usually health related) the school will report the parents. Your school system may not be as rigid, but it can not hurt to ask about the policy before booking.

First of all - LOVE Andrea’s reply! That being said - 2 weeks is a lot of school. I would plan to leave immediately after school on a Friday and then return on the following Sunday - or if you can swing it, go when one of the weekends is a long weekend. That way you’d get 10 or 11 days, but still miss just a week a school. I think one week is acceptable.

All that being said, we just returned from WDW this week and there were tons of kids there. It occurred to me that maybe a lot of them were home-schooled, because it seemed like a heck of a lot of kids for the third week in September.

I know that in the States you have count day… for counting when the kids are in school. I have never heard of such a thing here in my Ontario. Florie seems to be doing very well in school right now and gets on with everyone. Andrew won’t be starting school till closer to when we go but is already practicing JK school things.

I’m remember my parents taking me out of school, I don’t remember for how long though. But I know I had problems when I was in school but my parents took us out and we had to do school work while gone. I will talk to the school. But I think at the end of the day it’s up to parents to decide. I love getting everyone’s view though. It will help us in the end I’m sure.

[QUOTE=InHouseMouse;1138648]I know that in the States you have count day… for counting when the kids are in school. I have never heard of such a thing here in my Ontario. Florie seems to be doing very well in school right now and gets on with everyone. Andrew won’t be starting school till closer to when we go but is already practicing JK school things.

I’m remember my parents taking me out of school, I don’t remember for how long though. But I know I had problems when I was in school but my parents took us out and we had to do school work while gone. I will talk to the school. But I think at the end of the day it’s up to parents to decide. I love getting everyone’s view though. It will help us in the end I’m sure.[/QUOTE]

They do have a different system in the States. Like Ontario, here in Manitoba, it’s pretty much up to the teacher. Some teachers would assign some work, some would suggest the kids keep a journal and some would say “see ya, have a good time”. We took our kids out often and I never had a problem. I know we never had “count” days - but then, my kids went to private school.

[QUOTE=InHouseMouse;1138648]I know that in the States you have count day… for counting when the kids are in school. I have never heard of such a thing here in my Ontario. Florie seems to be doing very well in school right now and gets on with everyone. Andrew won’t be starting school till closer to when we go but is already practicing JK school things.

I’m remember my parents taking me out of school, I don’t remember for how long though. But I know I had problems when I was in school but my parents took us out and we had to do school work while gone. I will talk to the school. But I think at the end of the day it’s up to parents to decide. I love getting everyone’s view though. It will help us in the end I’m sure.[/QUOTE]

I’ve never heard of a “count day”…I’m pretty sure we don’t have that here she we live----I’ve lived here all my life and never heard of it. Lol

I’m sure with thoughtful planning, you will make the best decision for your family. :happy:

I took my kids out of school until they told me it would be too hard to miss. That was the start of junior high (6th grade). Not one teacher ever gave me a hard time. The school on the otherhand doesn’t like it as they get funds from the state for each day for each student attending.

My Son’s senior year he said he was comfortable with going in September seeing he already completed his required graduation credits his junior year. I spoke with the school and they told me as long as he gets all his teachers to sign an extended absence form he’s good. He did with all their blessings. We went, came back and then the school notified me my honor student was truant. They heard some choice words to which I rarely say.

I guess what I’m saying, you know your kids and what they can handle. Stand your ground with what you think is best for your family.

Smallworld - I live in near Detroit MI and when a week or so they announced it again. A lot of times the school will have extra fun days to get the kids to go to school that day so that they can be counted.

I think anything past grade 3 I wouldn’t think of taking them out for more then a 10 day trip.

[QUOTE=InHouseMouse;1138653]Smallworld - I live in near Detroit MI and when a week or so they announced it again. A lot of times the school will have extra fun days to get the kids to go to school that day so that they can be counted.

I think anything past grade 3 I wouldn’t think of taking them out for more then a 10 day trip.[/QUOTE]

Ahhh…we have a form that comes home ( or did–mines grown now) every year to be filled out for the number of children in each household…if we didn’t return the form, we didn’t get a report card for the child… This is probably the same thing as your counting day… :slight_smile:

I don’t have kids myself, but when I was in school my parents would take us out for vacations. It was usually just a week at a time. I think more than that could be tough on the kid (depends on age too…I wouldn’t think a second grader would miss that much).

Our school never had a problem with it…Mom always gave them the dates and off we went. In our district an unexcused absence is only if the parent doesn’t approve the absence. If the parent excuses the child, then it’s not considered unexcused, so maybe that’s why there wasn’t a problem with it here.

My kids will miss 6 days on our next trip. My DD is in 7th grade and my son is in 4th. I contacted all of the teachers and they are going to get work together so they don’t fall behind. My daughter is an A student and works hard. I am not worried about what the school thinks It is more important to make memories and spend some family time. Will this matter in 5 years that my kids missed 6 days of 4th or 7th grade? Probably not but will they remember this Disney family vacation? I know they will. (I will have enough video and pictures to make sure they won’t forget a minute.) Your kids are young and I really don’t think they will miss too much. Have fun and make memories.

Interesting, I’ve never heard of that.

As a teacher I honestly don’t mind when a student goes on vacation and I’ll never not give the assignments that will be missed and I would never give a student or parents a hard time about being gone. However, everyone has to understand there’s a lot that goes on in class and their grades may reflect the missed material. I teach junior high not lower elementary so it’s a little different when a student is gone for extended periods of time.

Go and have a good time, life is short and kids grow up way too fast.

They probably have an online way of doing it now…but it’s proof of how many children there are in the county for the Federal Government purposes. The form also told if a child were part of the military and not a resident but assigned here. ( this is a big military area here :slight_smile: The military pays the county for each military child who is not a permanent resident of the state.

Since I havent had a child in the school system in almost ten years, I’m not sure how it’s done now. I’ll have to ask my daughter who is a teacher now…I am curious… :happy:

[QUOTE=smallworld;1138667]They probably have an online way of doing it now…but it’s proof of how many children there are in the county for the Federal Government purposes. The form also told if a child were part of the military and not a resident but assigned here. ( this is a big military area here :slight_smile: The military pays the county for each military child who is not a permanent resident of the state.

Since I havent had a child in the school system in almost ten years, I’m not sure how it’s done now. I’ll have to ask my daughter who is a teacher now…I am curious… :happy:[/QUOTE]

We don’t do that here. I’m not sure how we gather that information, if we do, but we have never filled out that type of information and I’ve never seen it handed out at school.

i am an attendance enforcer. i make my kids go to school even when they are slightly sick. i think school is just too important to miss. plus i like having the “best” kids with perfect attendance. but that’s just me:)

nubeanie - I’m blessed with a child who LOVES going to school. Last year was her first year and she was sick constantly cause she wasn’t use to being around kids. She still wanted to go to school even sick. I kept her home some times though, or had her do half days. Some kids missed a day or 2 every week for the few months. The school here likes them to stay home when they’re sick though. Why infect the rest of the little ones or the teachers?

I have a feeling we’re just going to do 10 days though… just seems so short though.