Tell me about AKV

We are leaning toward AKV Savannah view for June. I’ve read mixed reviews on bus service. So my two main questions are how is the pool and bus service? It doesn’t matter to us how far away it is from the other parks. My other concern is the smell in the summer. Will be able to enjoy our balcony? What about bugs?

I first stayed at AKV during a very hot August. We ended up with a savannah view thanks to an upgrade at check-in and we never noticed a smell on our balcony at all, even on the hottest afternoons.

AKV was never one of my favorite resorts until I actually stayed there for myself and fell in love! Returning to the resort at the end of a busy park day is truly like returning to a different world. It is such a fantastic resort. I’ve stayed at Jambo House twice and Kidani once and have never had any major bus issues.

Honestly have to say I never thought about the “smell” issue…:laugh: but I can honestly say that we did not encounter any - shall we say - “animal smells” from out balcony. We loved our stay at Kidani Village and didn’t encounter any bus problems - you have to remember that it is the park most distant from three of the four major parks - so it is a bit of a ride - but that didn’t affect us - maybe left a few minutes earlier. The only “negative” I might have is that the suites seem a little dark - I guess “dim” is the word - I know it’s part of the decor, but I like very bright rooms, so it’s probably just me. I wouldn’t hesitate to go back again for one single second. Opening the curtains in the morning to see giraffes grazing outside is an amazing thing.

We were there in March and it was cool, so we didn’t use the pool.

We have only stayed at Kidani Village and that was in December. But we loved it and didn’t really have any bus issues either, except for going to and from Downtown Disney.

We are staying at Jambo House in June and I am quite excited. I sure hope we don’t have any animal smell issues.

Have been to AKV many, many times and have NEVER EVER encountered smells. It’s that Disney magic! Also, bugs are not a problem either. We always stay at Jambo House as there is nothing like its atmosphere, and the convenience of having three places to eat (the Mara, Boma and Jiko). The pool is awsome also. As far as buses, they are just fine. They run on time. I honestly really don’t ever recall having to wait longer than the allotted 20 minutes. If there was one time, it was a fluke. The distance doesn’t seem bad either, although I do have to disclose I am one of those people who pick up conversations with everyone on the bus, so chatting away helps the time go by, but who cares…your on vacation, so when you get there, you get there! :laugh:

[QUOTE=KarenWDWCP;1096095]we never noticed a smell on our balcony at all, even on the hottest afternoons.
[/QUOTE]

I don’t think that has ever been an issue at AKL and not much of one at AK either.
The only bugs you’ll need to worry about are love bugs in May and September.
They were particularly heavy in Sept. 2007.
The bus is no better and no worse than any other resort.
It only has two stops to deal with, Jambo and Kidani.
Such a shame, it used to be just the one stop, and nowhere near the amount of guests at Pop (now the only resort with one stop).

Can’t say about the pool.

[QUOTE=llama;1096099]Honestly have to say I never thought about the “smell” issue…:laugh: but I can honestly say that we did not encounter any - shall we say - “animal smells” from out balcony. We loved our stay at Kidani Village and didn’t encounter any bus problems - you have to remember that it is the park most distant from three of the four major parks - so it is a bit of a ride - but that didn’t affect us - maybe left a few minutes earlier. The only “negative” I might have is that the suites seem a little dark - I guess “dim” is the word - I know it’s part of the decor, but I like very bright rooms, so it’s probably just me. I wouldn’t hesitate to go back again for one single second. Opening the curtains in the morning to see giraffes grazing outside is an amazing thing.

We were there in March and it was cool, so we didn’t use the pool.[/QUOTE]

I agree about the rooms being a bit dim. That would probably be my one complaint about the resort.

Would you choose Jambo or Kidani?

It depends on what you like. Of course Jambo House is absolutely gorgeous and there’s always alot going on. It has Boma and Jiko restaurants, a terrific gift shop - just a lot more activity. It has that terrific main pool. Kidani is much quieter. There is a small gift/grocery shop. The pool is smaller. Sanaa Restaurant is here. It “feels” more like a DVC property - you know what I mean. Jambo House feels more like a typical “happening” Disney resort.

Now we feel Jambo is very quiet and serene. WL is what we called busy.

WE LOVED JAmbo house… buses were not wonderful but staying at this hotel is worth it… coming back home after a day at the parks is amazing… a truly wonderful stay… I wish we could afford to say there more often…

I loved my stay at Jumbo House. We went in August and there were no smells. The pool was little crowded and the water was too warm. I actually didn’t like the long bus ride and wished I had a car.

I love both parts of the resort!

Before staying at Kidani, I always thought I’d prefer to stay at Jambo House. That lobby is breathtaking, the hustle and bustle and smells from Boma are fantastic and I really liked the Mara. Then I stayed at Kidani and fell in love with it! :blush:

My two complaints about Kidani would be that sometimes the walk to your room can feel interminable and the lack of a quick service restaurant. Other than that, it is serene and beautiful. Plus the park buses pick up at Kidani first so we almost always had a seat in the morning.

Of course the water was too warm for anyone not from the deep south.
By August, the average daily temp has been above 90 for three straight months and the pool gets plenty of sunlight. I would not be surprised that the water temp is 86 at sunrise.
You’re looking at natural hot tubs without the benefit of jets to massage your back.
The only way you’ll get cool water in Florida in the summer would be to attach a chiller to the water returns.

So long as it fit my budget, I’d stay at AKL (Jambo House) in a heartbeat.
Unless of course, I could get a room at WL because I like being on a nice sized lake and not landlocked.

We loved Kidani Village when we stayed there in August of 2010!! We had a savanna view and there were always animals our there and never any “smells” or bugs!! Both pools are great, but we preferred the one at Kidani as it was less crowded. We will definitely stay there again!!

I would have to say that the darkness in the resort is a complete personal preference. My DW and I loved it so much we have sort of designed our bedroom at home like it. It is dark but it gives off a very relaxed felling we think, but again that is our preference.

As far as staying there you will love love love it. We have stayed at Kidani twice now and it is our home resort. However, as everyone has said the choose between to 2 resorts are dependent on what you like. Jambo house is busier and Kidani is a little bit more quieter. The buses have never been a problem, but for me after staying at Saratoga springs once any bus system is better then that. Do remember that if you book Kidani request a room in the Timon or rafiki sections since those are the closes areas to the lobby. On our last trip they put us all the way at the end of one of the towers in the zazu area and it was a half a mile from the lobby to your room. The talked to the front desk and they got us into a close room in the Timon section. We prefer the Timon section and now will always request a room in that area from now on.

Any way yu look at it you are going to Disney on vacation and they will always spread the Disney magic around for you to have a wonderful trip. So sit back relax and enjoy the show.

Well, I see we’re all talking about everything but the BIG difference between a DVC villa and a hotel room.
The kitchen, or in the studios, the kitchenette.
There’s that and the mix of rooms that features many more one room suites with full kitchen (and two room combos) in DVC resorts that the standard hotels just don’t offer.

However, if you’re only looking at DVC studios and don’t need the kitchenette, the playing field is leveled and you can’t go wrong whether you choose Kidani or Jambo.

That is of course unless you’re one of Disney’s Boatniks, and then you’re a landlocked frowny person.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1096235]Well, I see we’re all talking about everything but the BIG difference between a DVC villa and a hotel room.
The kitchen, or in the studios, the kitchenette.
There’s that and the mix of rooms that features many more one room suites with full kitchen (and two room combos) in DVC resorts that the standard hotels just don’t offer.

However, if you’re only looking at DVC studios and don’t need the kitchenette, the playing field is leveled and you can’t go wrong whether you choose Kidani or Jambo.

That is of course unless you’re one of Disney’s Boatniks, and then you’re a landlocked frowny person.[/QUOTE]

Actually, Doug, there are DVC accomodations in Jambo House, as well.

I had forgotten that they converted some rooms to DVC in advance of Kidani Village’s completion and opening.
In this regard, AKL is unique among all Disney resorts/DVC resorts. OKW and SSR are both stand alone resorts and VWL, VAKL, BLT/Contemporary, BWI, and Beach all segregate the two levels of accomodations in separate wings or entirely separate buildings where they share amenities with the already existing hotel. (Sanaa excepted)