Tell me about New Orleans Riverside

We are going to WDW a day early :smile::smile::smile::smile: and the Beach Club did not have any availability, the only resort that can accommodate all of us is POR. Please tell me any advice like room requests, dinning, etc…

DW and I love the Mansion sections, more specifically Parterre Place, it’s a short stroll over a wooden bridge to the main food court and resort lobby, yet far enough away that you can snag a little peace & quiet, if that’s your thing.

IMHO, the main restaurant, Boatwright’s isn’t all that good…we’d much rather eat at the Food Court. Depending on what night of the week you are staying, you can catch Piano Bob at the River Roost Lounge, one of the best shows in WDW, right in your own resort.

Since you are only staying one night, you probably won’t get to do some of the extras, such as the Sassagoula River Cruise to DTD, they also have horse & carriage rides.

It’s a great resort!

For one night I wouldn’t worry that much about location. I personally liked the Mansions area - I’m just more of a mansiony girl than a woodsy girl, but the Bayou area is nice too. If you have more than 4 people then you’ll have to take the Bayou area because they are the only ones with the trundle bed.

The food court is large and the main pool is fun. It’s been a long time since we’ve been there, but it was our first Disney resort and my dh and kids still have a real softspot for it. We always had a great time there.

You’ll love POR, it’s a beautiful resort.

We stayed at WDW for two weeks this year, one week at POR and one week at BC, and we loved both of them for their unique features.

The best thing about POR is the boat access to DTD, a favorite stop or ours to spend some time.

Both the Bayou sections and the Mansion areas have beautiful grounds. The rooms are nice but in need of their upcoming renovation just to update them a bit.

The main pool is fun, and the quiet pools are a nice break from a busy day.

The food court has some great options, definately more to choose from than BC if you’ve stayed there before to compare.

Enjoy your trip!

[QUOTE=jerseymouse;1079487]DW and I love the Mansion sections, more specifically Parterre Place, it’s a short stroll over a wooden bridge to the main food court and resort lobby, yet far enough away that you can snag a little peace & quiet, if that’s your thing.

IMHO, the main restaurant, Boatwright’s isn’t all that good…we’d much rather eat at the Food Court. Depending on what night of the week you are staying, you can catch Piano Bob at the River Roost Lounge, one of the best shows in WDW, right in your own resort.

Since you are only staying one night, you probably won’t get to do some of the extras, such as the Sassagoula River Cruise to DTD, they also have horse & carriage rides.

It’s a great resort![/QUOTE]

I was really looking forward to seeing Piano Bob but he will be out of town the day we are there.

Parterre Place gets my vote every time! Fantastic mansion location!

Even thought you’re only there for the one night, make sure you take the boat to DTD, it’s a must MUST do at least once!

We love Oak Manor, Magnolia Bend, and Alligator Bayou- its a beautiful resort, lovely setting- you’ll enjoy it I’m sure.

I wish he was out of town when we go-:ohmy::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Just read some reviews on POR from the past several months and it looks like they had a bed bug problem. YIKES!!! Did the other resorts have this problem?

Yikes is right! We’ve stayed there a few times and love it, and we’re staying there again in August. I’ve heard bed bugs are becoming a problem all over, so I sure hope Disney is on top of it!

Now I know why I only look in here now and then anymore.
Why would you make a room request for a one night’s stay? :blink:

He’s fun for an hour or so but then, blahhhhhh :laugh:

love it … It has always been our favorite.beautiful grounds and nice rooms we have never had a problem. I would not worry too much about bed bugs… even the best hotels can get them… along with buses and movie theaters… Im sure Disney is on top of it… we are staying there when we go down next year for star wars…

We stayed at Alligator Bayou on the ground floor…very nice walk from the main building right by the pool. Easy to get to the bus if you sneak though the trees a bit. lol The food court is darn crowded in the morning so be prepared to be patient. The boat to DTD is AWESOME.

I can’t even do an hour- he drives me crazy! And when he knows you’re English- oh boy, Dick van Dyke has nothing on Bob’s accent!:ohmy:

Knock on wood, I have not come across bed bugs at all at any of the Disney resorts this year nor the end of last year. BUT because it is a threat (according to numerous reports at the registry), I ALWAYS check the room before I drop the luggage. No hotel, motel or resort is immune from the threat of bed bugs. Many 5 Star hotels get them as well as the two to three star ones. They can latch on to you on a plane for that matter! Or a rental car!

I travel a lot for work so it’s become a habit. And you should make it a habit as well.

When you enter the room, do NOT put your bags on the bed until you check everything thoroughly. First, what I do is I pull back the comforter and sheets to look at the bare bed. These suckers are the size of an apple seed and their excrements look like coffee grounds so if you see either, leave.

Next, if the bed(s) is/are good to go, pull open the drawers (if you use them). Once again, if you see either the bugs or “coffee grounds”, leave.

Last but not least, check out the areas behind the picture frames (if they’re not completely bolted to the wall).

If everything is “clear”, then you’re okay to bring in the bags.

And I know that all you want to do is get in the room to relax, but I’m not kidding. Do not bring in the bags until you check out the room. Because laziness can cause the loss of thousands of out of pocket dollars on your end should these suckers latch on to your luggage and travel back home with you.

It’s a pain, I know, but it only takes me 3 minutes to do “the check”.

And like I said, I do this ritual at every hotel I stay at be it a Sofitel, Omni, or a Hampton Inn…

Our family always stays in the alligator byuo (spelling :s) it’s right beside a private pool, very close to the main pool and very close to the main lobby and food court! At the same time it has a lot of privacy and fits 5 to a room perfectly with a cot :slight_smile:

Good point, if you are a family of 5 then you will be staying in the Alligator Bayou section (not the mansions) because those are the rooms with the pull out trundle bed that accommodates the fifth person.

[QUOTE=papa bear;1082496]Knock on wood, I have not come across bed bugs at all at any of the Disney resorts this year nor the end of last year. BUT because it is a threat (according to numerous reports at the registry), I ALWAYS check the room before I drop the luggage. No hotel, motel or resort is immune from the threat of bed bugs. Many 5 Star hotels get them as well as the two to three star ones. They can latch on to you on a plane for that matter! Or a rental car!

I travel a lot for work so it’s become a habit. And you should make it a habit as well.

When you enter the room, do NOT put your bags on the bed until you check everything thoroughly. First, what I do is I pull back the comforter and sheets to look at the bare bed. These suckers are the size of an apple seed and their excrements look like coffee grounds so if you see either, leave.

Next, if the bed(s) is/are good to go, pull open the drawers (if you use them). Once again, if you see either the bugs or “coffee grounds”, leave.

Last but not least, check out the areas behind the picture frames (if they’re not completely bolted to the wall).

If everything is “clear”, then you’re okay to bring in the bags.

And I know that all you want to do is get in the room to relax, but I’m not kidding. Do not bring in the bags until you check out the room. Because laziness can cause the loss of thousands of out of pocket dollars on your end should these suckers latch on to your luggage and travel back home with you.

It’s a pain, I know, but it only takes me 3 minutes to do “the check”.

And like I said, I do this ritual at every hotel I stay at be it a Sofitel, Omni, or a Hampton Inn…[/QUOTE]

Great advice, thanks so much PB. It seems like the bed bug epidemic has gone global as there are reports of them being throughout the UK and Europe too. I guess its cross contamination from all the travelling that goes on these days world wide.

We always enjoy POR, the boat to DTD and the beautiful grounds. If you had to do a 1-night stay, POR is a nice place to go, a perfect time to relax, take the boat to DTD and shop a little. Worth it just for the boat ride.

Hate to hear about bedbugs invading Disney. We are going to be at POR in 70days and I will definitely do a search. I am sure the cast members ar on top of the situation, but check first anyway.

Enjoy your vacation !! We surely will enjoy ours, hehehehe