Tell me about the Callifornia Grill!

We just made a ressie for our August trip. We have never been there before. Is it possible to just have dessert or do we have to have dinner too? We have a 850 pm reservation, will that be late enough to see the fire works? Thanks!!

We ate there a few years back for our anniversary…excellent window table with a great view of Cinderella Castle…I had a braised short rib, DW had a pork dish, both meals were excellent, and they gave us dessert to celebrate our anniversary. Can’t really tell you whether or not you can just go for dessert, but I can tell you it was a fantastic meal, at a perfect setting…if they are offering Wishes around your meal time, it would be a great place to watch from.

Baloo and I went for just appetizers and desserts one trip. We sat in the lounge area because it was very crowded, but I assume you can do the same at a regular table.

DH and I love CG!! We have had dinner there twice; once we watched the fireworks from the dining room and once we watched from the observation deck. We enjoyed the dining room view more than the deck view. As far as the food, it was sensational. We had the full course both times–flat bread, sushi, filet mignon, dessert. I’m certain you can just do desserts if that’s what you want to do, and it will be delicious!

I’ve lost track of the number of times we’ve eaten there since 2002 as well as the many different dishes I’ve had. Of course, the menu does change often.
You don’t keep going back to someplace you don’t like, especially at these prices.

Can you get a table just for desserts? I guess you can, there is no minimum, but considering how many people do want to have full meals, you might want to consider doing your desserts in the lounge, well that is if there’s room there.

CG is our favorite place at Disney. My wife and I have our anniversary dinner there every year and we can’t wait to go there this year for our 11th. Great food, great service, amazing views, amazing EVERYTHING. We have eaten at some of the best restaurants around this country and this place is just one of the best overall experiences possible. Standing applause for the CG!!!

I love California Grill! In my opinion is is one of the most romantic places and I love the view of the Mk from the observation deck.

>>Can you get a table just for desserts?<<

That’s a super question. We’ve gone many times and I don’t know.
We love to “small plate” (guess it’s the current term for appetizer) our way around Epcot resorts and MK resorts, but we’ve not tried at CA Grill.
Do they have a bar area…you might be able to get a “small plate” there ??? I think they have a sushi table… btw, has anyone ordered basic sushi, like a tuna roll, etc?? their “special” rolls are great, but a bit pricey.
Frank

Well, I just called the Contemporary and was told that you “should” have a reservation, but you can walk up and see… CM said to go to the checkin desk for the CA Grill. midway between the lobby and the Grand Canyon concourse.

Frank

Well, I just called the Contemporary and was told that you “should” have a reservation, but you can walk up and see… CM said to go to the checkin desk for the CA Grill. midway between the lobby and the Grand Canyon concourse.

Frank

[QUOTE=fjs08;1029934]>>Can you get a table just for desserts?<<

That’s a super question. We’ve gone many times and I don’t know.
We love to “small plate” (guess it’s the current term for appetizer) our way around Epcot resorts and MK resorts, but we’ve not tried at CA Grill.
Do they have a bar area…you might be able to get a “small plate” there ??? I think they have a sushi table… btw, has anyone ordered basic sushi, like a tuna roll, etc?? their “special” rolls are great, but a bit pricey.
Frank[/QUOTE]

There are only about 4 or 5 seats in front of the sushi chefs.
I’ve never strictly gone to CG for sushi and many times it seems that the only offerings are special rolls or tuna sashimi. I can’t say I’ve ever seen an ala carte sushi menu or taken the time to find out if they had a sushi dinner (like 8 pieces and some tekka maki roll pieces).

[QUOTE=fjs08;1029944]Well, I just called the Contemporary and was told that you “should” have a reservation, but you can walk up and see… CM said to go to the checkin desk for the CA Grill. midway between the lobby and the Grand Canyon concourse.

Frank[/QUOTE]

This would be the second floor, for the uninitiated. You can either take the elevator or the escalator from the first or 4th floor. The escalator is faster and there is a hidden third floor that is not accessed from the escalator so it looks like one floor either way