Tell me all I need to know about SSR!

Looks like instead of a moderate, we will be at Saratoga Springs in Oct! YAY! :laugh::laugh:
What do I need to know?

Well…SSR is a deluxe standard resort. It doesn’t have the same vibe as the DVC properties which are attached to the hotels, but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t have a great atmosphere itself. It is very large and if you have a car, use it. The one and two bedroom suites are basically the same layout as all the other DVCs except OKW. The studios have a queen bed and pull out sofa bed. The bedroom suites have full kitchen. The studios have a small fridge and microwave. The grounds are beautiful. There is a new pool in the Paddock area which has just been completed; that means there are two “main” pools with waterslides. Personally, we like the Congress Park area because it’s such a close walk to the Marketplace. The Springs is close to the “main” main pool, the lobby and restaurants. The Carousel area is the furthest from everything - try to avoid it, unless you really like solitude. The Grandstand is also a great area with a really good quiet pool, very close to a bus stop.

The transportation is by bus to all parks and there is a ferry to theMarketplace and DTD. You do not share the ferry with any other resorts. Like transportation everywhere at Disney it’s the luck of the draw. Sometimes its great; sometimes you wait. Personally we use the car for every park except the MK.

The Artist’s Palette is the counterservice/grocery store. Frankly, it’s not great. I don’t know who thought up the system, but it is very convoluted, not efficient and always crowded. We stock up on breakfast groceries in the suite,to avoid the morning crush there. And the food is not that great. On the other hand, The Turf Club is one of those hidden gems. Very nice atmosphere, and good food. Eat on the verandah overlooking the river.

SSR is very quiet. If you like to be “Disneyfied” 24/7 you might find it a little too laid back; if you like a break from the parks, you’ll enjoy the peacefulness.

Everything Llama said :slight_smile:

We stayed in a 1 bedroom in The Springs and it was wonderful! Two adults and two kids. It was huge! Ours had a full kitchen and washer/dryer. Mousekeeping said we could have even left the dishes and they would do them. We didn’t though :slight_smile: All the necessities were provided and then some. The service was about as perfect as you can expect.
I agree the counter service system was confusing and really cramped. I actually ran right into someone and dropped my tray! The food was good though.
I would love to stay there again someday.
Not sure what else you want to know but ask away!

[QUOTE=zoey9797;1084832]Everything Llama said :slight_smile:

Mousekeeping said we could have even left the dishes and they would do them. [/QUOTE]

You only get daily Mousekeeping if you are paying for the accomodations. If you are renting points, then you will get trash and towel service in the middle of your stay.

Which building is best? We will not have a car, so we would like to be close to a bus stop.

We stayed in the Grand Stand section Thanksgiving week 2008. Great location as (well at that time anyway) we were the first stop for pick up and drop off. We really liked SSR and the 2 bedroom villa was extremely nice. There is also a brand new pool (a second signature pool) that just opened that looks really nice from the pictures. You will not be disappointed!

The above advice is good. If you are going to hit Downtown Disney, ask for the rooms closest to it. My brother and I walked before and it’s not a bad walk at all.

Personally, I love SSR. I think it’s the most underrated resort at Disney, possibly due to the fact that it’s not as close to the parks.

Is the new pool in the Grandstand section?

No, the new pool is in The Paddock. As for which areas are best; The Springs is directly across from the lobby, shop, restaurants and one of the main pools. It’s probably the most sought-after area. The Grandstand is almost as close, really a nicer, quieter area right on the golf course - if I had to choose between the two I’d take Grandstand. The Grandstand quiet pool is really nice and it’s the first pick-up and first drop-off with the buses.

Congress Park is further from the main lobby, but it is the closest to the Marketplace. Just about a 5 minute walk, it also looks over the Sassagoula River to DTD. If you’re not planning on doing much swimming in the main pool or visiting the lobby area everyday, it’s a terrific area.

I’ve never stayed in The Paddock, but it is also a bit farther from the lobby - but it’s the area with the new main pool.

The Carousel is pretty far from everything - plus a lot of the buildings are situated facing the front of the resort. The noise from the buses coming and going can be noisy. Avoid it if possible.

We just returned and stayed at SSR. We were not impressed by the resort as it did not have that “Wow” Disney factor. We rented DVC points and for the money you are spending, as Llama mentioned, you do not get daily maid service. You will receive fresh towels and linens on the 4th day and a full cleaning on the 8th (which most people only stay a week). I actually had to wash towels as by the 3rd day of taking showers, let’s not go there. A tip, grab a few extra towels from the pools for your showers in the room.

Check in went smoothly and the CM’s are very pleasant. We had requested a ground floor room in The Grandstand or The Springs. The parking lot in the Grandstand was being sealed and was closed so we had the option of a room in the Springs on the 2nd floor or a ground floor room in Congress Park. We opted for Congress Park. The walk to the Carraige House was about 5 minutes and we were in the last building closest to DTD. If we did not want to walk, we were told to take a park bus, get off at the Springs and then to return, take the DTD bus. We did not do that though.

It seemed like all the park buses came at once and then there were none for a while. The ride to the parks were very long. We decided to use the buses in lieu of driving our car. We only drove to a few resorts for the ADR’s, to TL and once to AK for the tour we had planned.

We did not eat at the Turf Club but did have breakfast at the Artist Palette. The omlets seem to swim in oil or butter so beware.

We only swam in the quiet pool in Congress Park but the main pool and the Pool at the Paddock looked really cool.

We had a two bedroom villa which was plenty of room although there was mold on the outside corner of the master shower with the wall starting to bubble. You could practically poke your finger through the wall under the bedroom window as it appeared to have water damage and the sliders were missing the bottom slats of the window decor.

Sorry for some of the negatives. Hope you find your stay better than ours.

[QUOTE=cmrncraz15;1084898]The above advice is good. If you are going to hit Downtown Disney, ask for the rooms closest to it. My brother and I walked before and it’s not a bad walk at all.

Personally, I love SSR. I think it’s the most underrated resort at Disney, possibly due to the fact that it’s not as close to the parks.[/QUOTE]

I have to agree. I have stayed there 2 times and absolulty LOVE SSR. It is my favorite. I don’t think it gets the credit it deserves. I love the relaxed atmospher it has. Soft colors and the whole feel of the resort is great. The food court is great to.

Am I right in thinking that it is very similar to OKW with nicer pools and a spa?
We love OKW!

Thanks for clarifying that Llama, I forgot that difference! :slight_smile: Guess you would wait 8 days and they would do them? LOL!

Well we stay at SSR it is our home resort,we like it alright,my big complaint is the artist pallette totally inadaquate,and the fact that it hsares the space with the gift shop,our last stay was in april and we are looking forward to reviews concerning the new pool and food options…hopefully it will be a good alternative to the artists pallette…we usually stay in the last building in grandstand,close to bus stop,and not a bad walk to quiet pool area which has a nice jacuzzi…other resorts have plusses also but to us SSR is just fine…

We really don’t eat at the resort much. I’m one of those out to the parks early and in late kinda girls. I’m going with two friends and the other day they ask me if they could sleep in some days. :laugh: I suppose I will let them if we get to stay out until 2 or 3 am on EMH nights!

We love SSR. I think the beds are the most comfortable of any of the DVC places at which we have stayed. The atmosphere is subdued, but that is part of the attraction for us. We do not eat at the palette so that hasn’t affected us. Any room requests we have made so far have been accommodated, which is pretty cool.

[QUOTE=rlb;1084915]Am I right in thinking that it is very similar to OKW with nicer pools and a spa?
We love OKW![/QUOTE]

Yes - very much the same “vibe” as OKW.

[QUOTE=llama;1084808]Well…SSR is a deluxe standard resort. It doesn’t have the same vibe as the DVC properties which are attached to the hotels, but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t have a great atmosphere itself. It is very large and if you have a car, use it. The one and two bedroom suites are basically the same layout as all the other DVCs except OKW. The studios have a queen bed and pull out sofa bed. The bedroom suites have full kitchen. The studios have a small fridge and microwave. The grounds are beautiful. There is a new pool in the Paddock area which has just been completed; that means there are two “main” pools with waterslides. Personally, we like the Congress Park area because it’s such a close walk to the Marketplace. The Springs is close to the “main” main pool, the lobby and restaurants. The Carousel area is the furthest from everything - try to avoid it, unless you really like solitude. The Grandstand is also a great area with a really good quiet pool, very close to a bus stop.

The transportation is by bus to all parks and there is a ferry to theMarketplace and DTD. You do not share the ferry with any other resorts. Like transportation everywhere at Disney it’s the luck of the draw. Sometimes its great; sometimes you wait. Personally we use the car for every park except the MK.

The Artist’s Palette is the counterservice/grocery store. Frankly, it’s not great. I don’t know who thought up the system, but it is very convoluted, not efficient and always crowded. We stock up on breakfast groceries in the suite,to avoid the morning crush there. And the food is not that great. On the other hand, The Turf Club is one of those hidden gems. Very nice atmosphere, and good food. Eat on the verandah overlooking the river.

SSR is very quiet. If you like to be “Disneyfied” 24/7 you might find it a little too laid back; if you like a break from the parks, you’ll enjoy the peacefulness.[/QUOTE]

well said and extremely accurate,once again our home resort,many plusses and just a few minuses

It was ok for me. I was near a quiet pool so that was a plus. Huge walk back to the main area. I was in the section closest to the walkway to marketplace.

Also the main pool is green, not blue.

[QUOTE=bribren;1085049]
Also the main pool is green, not blue.[/QUOTE]

I think the main pool is suppose to represent the Springs at - well - Saratoga - so the pool looks more “natural”