Ten Thoughts on WDW after my 20th Trip

Ive been chewing on some thoughts about the theme parks after completing my 20th trip. I traveled with my 8 and 6 year old sons, and being the only adult I spent alot of time in reflection.

[ol]
[li]I’m done with Tomorrowland. I like some of the attractions but it seems like alot of steel and concrete without any charm. Crowded. Not future or retrofuture but like a bad airport.
[/li][li]I really enjoyed Tom Sawyer Island. Only my 2nd time there in 20 years but its very well done and quiet.
[/li][li]For the first time I didnt rush to park opening. I found that we could still do most things via fast pass and savvy touring.
[/li][li]Im really enjoying Animal Kingdom. I finally willed myself to let the kids set the pace looking at everything and not dragging them to each attraction. There was alot of depth that you have to slow down to appreciate.
[/li][li]If you dont have a reservation and it suddenly rains at Animal Kingdom good luck getting lunch.
[/li][li]I think Epcot has alot of charm because so much of the 1982 bones are still there. The benches and planters all have that retro future look that Tomorrowland lacks.
[/li][li]As much as Animal Kingdom is growing on me, Hollywood Studios is getting dull. There just seems to be a diminishing wander around factor. More than any other park is is an attraction to attraction rat race.
[/li][li]I love Typhoon Lagoon. Everything is themed perfectly. I was appreciating the rickety pipes that fed the shower and water fountains. It has a charm that Blizzard beach lacks.
[/li][li]Can I please have a pass that gets me by the preshow at Test Track?
[/li][li]SOmeone please remind me not to go into the Universe of Energy. Why did I think it would be better this time. It could go tomorrow, please.
[/li][/ol]

Ohhh I agree with all of these, especially 3,4,6,8 and 9!! I still kind of like TomorrowLand though but I agree its all a big mechanical! I do heart Universe of Energy, its the perfect AC break/chill/nap time show in the world!

I agree with some of your points too. I think sometimes we tend to overlook some of the details as we focus on the ‘overall’- good thread though and great points.

I agree about not rushing to park opening. We aren’t late sleepers, but since we usually stay at the parks late at night, we don’t rush to get out the door in the morning. We typically leave the room around 9:00 (after eating breakfast in the room) and are able to see all the attractions we want even at busy times. We take full advantage of Fast Pass and will never wait in a line that says more than 30 minutes.

I also agree with HS. There is no charm there, but now that DD is 10 she likes RnRC, ToT and American Idol.

You are sooooooo right about AK, you really need to go slow and take it all in to appreciate everything. I also hear you about getting caught in a rain storm at AK - happened to us last August and there was no where to go!!

Our next trip (in 31 days!!!) all the Christmas decorations will be up - so my most important part of the trip will be wandering around and taking it all in.

Oh as far as Universe of Energy - it’s a must do if it’s really hot and you need a rest from all the walking! If not, one to skip (in my opinion :blush:)

Have to say I think HS exudes class and charm. Tomorrowland fits right in with Spacemountain and Buzzlightyear ride. But I’ve only been 14 times.

I agree with a lot of what you all say.
However I do think that HS is charming. It’s actually a park that requires strolling, looking and paying attention. I don’t ToT or Rnrc, so there’s no running from attraction to attraction for me. I love life on the streets of Hollywood :laugh:

We have always felt like you do about AK, it’s a wonderful place if you take the time to look around.

I have never “felt at home” in Tomorrowland but I do love most of the attractions there.
Say, is that silly Stitch attraction still operating? :blow:

I have never made it to Test Track, been in line a number of times but it broke down each and every time. I am beginning to think that I should not ride this thing.

it is a conundrum for disney,the newbies want to see what we have been seeing oh so many times and and the rest of us who have been there so many times,could be tiring of some of the attractions that we have seen so many times,disney is now in that time frame,as we baby boomers get older and have made disney a vacation favorite for the last couple of decades,there challenge is to remain relative to the new generation of parents,without alienating the older patrons,do I think disney should be building a new time share on property right now,absolutely not,what I believe they should be doing is planning new e ticket attractions at every park …also the money spent on marvel has yet to produce any substantial product line yet…when I first got to WDW in 91…they were fond of saying that we have only used 15% of available land,this past trip it was reported to me that is now up to 40% and 30% will never be touched in accordance with the agreement with the state of FLA and environmentalist which leaves now roughly 30% left …their problem is how to use the remaining property.and make it relevant not just to us but future generations …they have quite a juggling act in front of them,they must choose wisely,and at the same timekeep the BS stockholders happy…if it were up to me ,if I were disney I would spin off the theme parks,take them private and then be free to build out the rest of it without the encumberance of wall street and the almighty profit motive…a lot of people are unawares that disney could’ve had harry potter ,the movie turned it down and then could have had harry potter the attraction and turned it down,remember harry potter is warner bros,not universal,I don’t claim to know all the inside dope but the reason they turned down harry potter the movie ,was it was to costly and possibly to dark,they truly missed the oportunity to promote reading etc…when the theme park idea came along they passed because of the expense of building it and couldn’t decide where it should go…finally recently while we were at WDW several weeks ago,word came out that all construction in the new fantasyland has been halted ,the reason was it was tilted to much for girls and not boys and that work was to halt until a new theming balance could be decided upon…the new managemnet has some tough choices ahead and I hope they get it right,for disney is my and your home away from home and we are all hoping and praying for their future success and for one wish them well in all their future choices…and I have confidence they will choose wisely

Harry Potter’s Going to Disney World?

Disney Homeland Gets Harry Potter Theme Park Too : NPR

I guess I haven’t been there enough to be bored… I love tomorrow land and other then stitches great escape which is a waste… i enjoy it all.

their a lot of people that feel the same way about the stitch attraction

[QUOTE=jwakja;1056100]Have to say I think HS exudes class and charm. Tomorrowland fits right in with Spacemountain and Buzzlightyear ride. But I’ve only been 14 times.[/QUOTE]I agree about HS ,but once again how many times can you see the INDY show,or beauty and the beast,one new attraction I like is the AI experience always new and fresh and sometimes very entertaining…this past trip I never saw so many people waiting for the backlot tour…my guess is that they wwere just doing less tours …haven’t heard any new features having been added

The last I heard, Disney is not building a new timeshare. Not this close to the opening of Bay Lake Tower and Kidani Village along with the resurrection of the Treehouse Villas.
On the other hand, Disney always has new E-ticket rides in development and like major blockbuster movies, these things take many years from the first line on paper until it opens. You also seem to ignore the major renovation going on in Fantasyland that includes a new castle and will not be fully on line until 2012.
You also seem to have ignored the closing of Star Tours so that they can convert to Star Tours 2.0 which will apparently have several ride films, not just one like the current ride.

What are you talking about?
Who do you think is profiting from Iron Man 2?
Haven’t you noticed how much Marvel stuff is now being sold in Disney parks and hotels?
Who do you think Universal is paying licensing fees to for Super Hero Island?
There are many movie projects in the pipeline, most were already in the pipeline before Disney bought Marvel and those existing deals are with Paramount, Sony, Universal, and Fox. Considering the long lead time super hero movies need from green light until release, you won’t begin to see actual Disney/Marvel movies until late 2011 or more likely, the middle of 2012.
Marvel is such a complicated deal because of all the previous projects that it is going to take years to unwind everything and bring it all under the Disney banner (if they ever can - case in point Warner owns DC comics and the Superman movies, but they don’t own the George Reeves Superman TV series from the 50’s).

You’re a putz! This article is dated 2003!
The second one is dated 2007 and says that the “Harry Potter Theme Park” will open in 2009 but doesn’t say it isn’t a part of Disney although the implication is there.
The truth of course is that Universal always planned to open in June of this year and they did on time. The truth is that Harry Potter World is just one of the Islands of Adventure and not a free standing 3rd park. In fact, two attractions that were part of the “Lost Continent” island have been redistricted into Harry Potter World. For all the flash and hype, I don’t think they added more than two new rides, although the Harry Potter’s Flight ride is probably the best attraction in Orlando, picking up where Spiderman left off. It’s certainly the best thing that’s opened in the past 7 years (Manta at Sea World is number 2).

John, why are you such a Cheney lately?

PS: To this little bit of nimroddery “they have quite a juggling act in front of them,they must choose wisely,and at the same timekeep the BS stockholders happy…if it were up to me ,if I were disney I would spin off the theme parks,take them private and then be free to build out the rest of it without the encumberance of wall street and the almighty profit motive”
I’m one of those “BS stockholders” you are whining about.
And what makes you think that if (and I don’t want them to) The Walt Disney Company decided to spin off the theme parks and hotels (which is major money to our corporation) there is any way that will ever be taken private, it would cost way way too much. And just because they would be private, that does not in any way, shape, or form translate into being unencumbered to build to their heart’s content and no worry about profit.
You’d better believe they are looking for big profits or those parks will be dropped quicker than it takes to erect a portable roller coaster.
Keep whining and I won’t let you into “my” parks.

I would have to agree with your post. Hollywood Studios is one of my least favorite parks, I do like some of the things there but would rather go somewhere else. My 3 year old loves animals so his favorite was AK and I have to say I really enjoyed it with him this time around. I was able to slow down and look at things that I obviously overlooked in the past. It was funny since we took family members with us, they still wanted to rush and be the first in line to do everything and wanted my kids to do the same. Being 3 and 1 1/2 they couldn’t do much, and my father in law who thinks he knows everything didn’t take that into consideration. I just let them run where ever they wanted to go and we just took our time and had a blast. It was really nice to slow down and watch the kids reaction to everything. Of course watching my father in law run around crazy and getting upset because we were taking our time was priceless. He was upset with me since I told my wife I wasn’t rushing for anyone anymore, and was PO’ed most of the trip. We had a blast with the kids, which is why we were there in the first place. I think certain people need to remember it’s a fun place and rushing doesn’t accomplish anything.

I disagree with a few of those! But this was fun to readdd :]

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1056182]The last I heard, Disney is not building a new timeshare. Not this close to the opening of Bay Lake Tower and Kidani Village along with the resurrection of the Treehouse Villas.
On the other hand, Disney always has new E-ticket rides in development and like major blockbuster movies, these things take many years from the first line on paper until it opens. You also seem to ignore the major renovation going on in Fantasyland that includes a new castle and will not be fully on line until 2012.
You also seem to have ignored the closing of Star Tours so that they can convert to Star Tours 2.0 which will apparently have several ride films, not just one like the current ride.

What are you talking about?
Who do you think is profiting from Iron Man 2?
Haven’t you noticed how much Marvel stuff is now being sold in Disney parks and hotels?
Who do you think Universal is paying licensing fees to for Super Hero Island?
There are many movie projects in the pipeline, most were already in the pipeline before Disney bought Marvel and those existing deals are with Paramount, Sony, Universal, and Fox. Considering the long lead time super hero movies need from green light until release, you won’t begin to see actual Disney/Marvel movies until late 2011 or more likely, the middle of 2012.
Marvel is such a complicated deal because of all the previous projects that it is going to take years to unwind everything and bring it all under the Disney banner (if they ever can - case in point Warner owns DC comics and the Superman movies, but they don’t own the George Reeves Superman TV series from the 50’s).

You’re a putz! This article is dated 2003!
The second one is dated 2007 and says that the “Harry Potter Theme Park” will open in 2009 but doesn’t say it isn’t a part of Disney although the implication is there.
The truth of course is that Universal always planned to open in June of this year and they did on time. The truth is that Harry Potter World is just one of the Islands of Adventure and not a free standing 3rd park. In fact, two attractions that were part of the “Lost Continent” island have been redistricted into Harry Potter World. For all the flash and hype, I don’t think they added more than two new rides, although the Harry Potter’s Flight ride is probably the best attraction in Orlando, picking up where Spiderman left off. It’s certainly the best thing that’s opened in the past 7 years (Manta at Sea World is number 2).

John, why are you such a Cheney lately?

PS: To this little bit of nimroddery “they have quite a juggling act in front of them,they must choose wisely,and at the same timekeep the BS stockholders happy…if it were up to me ,if I were disney I would spin off the theme parks,take them private and then be free to build out the rest of it without the encumberance of wall street and the almighty profit motive”
I’m one of those “BS stockholders” you are whining about.
And what makes you think that if (and I don’t want them to) The Walt Disney Company decided to spin off the theme parks and hotels (which is major money to our corporation) there is any way that will ever be taken private, it would cost way way too much. And just because they would be private, that does not in any way, shape, or form translate into being unencumbered to build to their heart’s content and no worry about profit.
You’d better believe they are looking for big profits or those parks will be dropped quicker than it takes to erect a portable roller coaster.
Keep whining and I won’t let you into “my” parks.[/QUOTE]

did you nactually raed my post,they turned down harry potter the movie and then turned down the theme park portion as well,fantasyland is on hold ,with no completion date set,it is being rethemed from original plans,…about harry potter once again they turned it down …and yes when you go private there is also a profit motive but companys do not have a quarterlly knee jerk reaction …to what wall street expects or wants…please name recntly hen wall street has had a good prediction …or likes anything …but once again this is disney and i don’t want to be chastised for making anything political…the fact of the matter is disney has done somethings well ,and others well …but read the post once again and maybe you see it in a different light…

yep! we are not fans either.:blow:

my wife has memeories of when i believe it was alien encounter,so we tried it when it was stitch and she will not go in it again …I thougt it was OK but i wouldn’t miss it if it were gone…on a side note on my first trip to DLR back in 73 I couldn’t wait to get out of the room,you know the teeeeeeeeky room ,but I wil go to the under the new management one …at WDW …to each their own…but we all have our favorites and mine are the big rides but I have to do bugs life every trip,mickey philarmagic, american experience,…maelstrom every 6 years or so…too many to mention ,but our next trip is less than 150days and we just got back from 11days and the next is 13days so despite what many think we love disney,just every so often I just like to give my assesment…and comment on somethings that are going on…

I was working on a much different version of this post when I got a PM from John.
As such, I’ve wiped all of the post I was writing except for this piece of advice.
Please, if you’d like people to be able to more easily read your posts, work on punctuation, capitalization, sentence structure, and spell checking.
I know I have a tendency toward run on sentences, but your stuff is so dense because of non capitalization and periods that it is genuinely hard to follow a lot of the time when you post long posts.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1056190]I was working on a much different version of this post when I got a PM from John.
As such, I’ve wiped all of the post I was writing except for this piece of advice.
Please, if you’d like people to be able to more easily read your posts, work on punctuation, capitalization, sentence structure, and spell checking.
I know I have a tendency toward run on sentences, but your stuff is so dense because of non capitalization and periods that it is genuinely hard to follow a lot of the time when you post long posts.[/QUOTE]

agreed …bad habit…but trying to be concise and then it gets long …sorry