Thanksgiving anyone?

We are planning on going to WDW over Thanksgiving this year!!! I havent begun to plan it, because I have a few questions…

Has anyone gone over Thanksgiving before?
How was your trip over Thanksgiving?
How crowded is it?
Are their any specials?

Thanks for all the help :laugh:

We have been over Thanksgiving.

First, the decorations are up and it is beautiful.

Second, the crowds were manageable with smart park planning (go early, stay late, use FPs, etc.) with the exception of one spot, on Thanksgiving Day itself. That spot was Frontierland, which was insanely, unbelievably packed midday. We had to take the train around to the front of the park and we left. We went over to EC which had a very light crowd. It was really, really weird.

P.S. And on the MK train, we could see that the rest of the MK areas were reasonable… it was just that one crazy area!

The rest of the days had normal crowds – definitely not so crowded that it was a bummer.

[QUOTE=MissDisney;1022526]We have been over Thanksgiving.

First, the decorations are up and it is beautiful.

Second, the crowds were manageable with smart park planning (go early, stay late, use FPs, etc.) with the exception of one spot, on Thanksgiving Day itself. That spot was Frontierland, which was insanely, unbelievably packed midday. We had to take the train around to the front of the park and we left. We went over to EC which had a very light crowd. It was really, really weird.

P.S. And on the MK train, we could see that the rest of the MK areas were reasonable… it was just that one crazy area!

The rest of the days had normal crowds – definitely not so crowded that it was a bummer.[/QUOTE]

well yay:laugh: thanks so much! that does sound kind of strange haha but I am excited to know that it wont be terribly crowded!

I’m going to try that one year it sounds great :happy:

Well we convinced my dad’s brothers to come so it looks like we are going to WDW over Thanksgiving!!! yay :laugh:

It’s really easy to find out when the biggest crowds will be there because it coincides with when the rooms are most expensive.

The DVC charts tell all. Christmas, Presidents Day Weekend, Spring Break, and, yes, Thanksgiving are the most in demand.

In years past we could sneak into DL the days leading up to Thanksgiving, but with the school year getting longer a lot of schools are taking the whole week of Thanksgiving off.

We went to DL this past Thanksgiving checking in the Friday before and checking out Tuesday. Sat and Sun were ok then Monday it got crazy. I can’t imagine what it looked the days following.

I’m not saying “don’t go” and I know DL is not DW, but it just sounds like you think it’s going to be moderately heavy crowds, but I’m here to tell you those parks will be full.

One thing cool is that they usually bring in special music groups and such for the big events but heed the advice of others and plan your day. The waits for the popular rides will be hours long, so FP early and often.

When I was young (around 18 or so) I went to DL with my older brothers. The line for Space Mountain was three hours long. We were just getting through the line to get to the other side. A guy grabbed my jacket and told me to get to the back of the line. I started to explain what I was doing and my brothers came back through and basically told the guy what they thought of him stopping me. I was young, but I knew then and there that I would never go back during a major holiday.

Anyway, the week after, the place will be a ghost town, but I know lots of people can’t pull it off and Thanksgiving is the only alternative.

Thanks for the advice! I know the crowds will be bad, but its hard on my family to miss a lot of school because my mom is a teacher, my sister is in 5th grade, and I am in 9th! we should be ok because have never been during Thanksgiving, but we have been during Christmas… so if we can handle Christmas I’m guessing we will be ok during Thanksgiving!

We have some good friends that are teachers and they tell the same story. They have no choice but to go during the big holidays. I would agree, if you’ve done Christmas, you can handle Thanksgiving.

We actually went during Christmas week three or four years ago because a large group of our friends was going. Very crowded, but it was fun. We didn’t ride much but that was part of the plan. You don’t have to ride to catch the “Disney Magic”.

[QUOTE=evansfmly5;1022822]We actually went during Christmas week three or four years ago because a large group of our friends was going. Very crowded, but it was fun. We didn’t ride much but that was part of the plan. You don’t have to ride to catch the “Disney Magic”.
[/QUOTE]

very true… :blush:

We’ve done Thanksgiving twice and look forward to doing it again!

The parks will get a little more crowded each day, but we still think Spring Break crowds were larger. It was certainly doable.

As for Thanksgiving Day, we avoid the parks. We tour the resorts to see the decorations and catch lunch along the way. A monorail tour of the MK resorts, boat to WL, walking tour of Epcot resorts, a trip out to AKL. It makes for a relaxed day. It is great to get up a little late, catch some of the parades on the TV as we head out.

Dinner was Thankgiving at the Fort (aka Mickey’s BBQ). We LOVE it. All the Thanksgiving food and treats, unlimited Mickey bars, live music, and dancing with all the characters.

[QUOTE=Elmo;1022848]We’ve done Thanksgiving twice and look forward to doing it again!

The parks will get a little more crowded each day, but we still think Spring Break crowds were larger. It was certainly doable.

As for Thanksgiving Day, we avoid the parks. We tour the resorts to see the decorations and catch lunch along the way. A monorail tour of the MK resorts, boat to WL, walking tour of Epcot resorts, a trip out to AKL. It makes for a relaxed day. It is great to get up a little late, catch some of the parades on the TV as we head out.

Dinner was Thankgiving at the Fort (aka Mickey’s BBQ). We LOVE it. All the Thanksgiving food and treats, unlimited Mickey bars, live music, and dancing with all the characters.[/QUOTE]

Well thanks! You just made me feel a little bit better about going :laugh: we are thinking about not going to a park on Thanksgiving either…

Let me add a couple of extra comments.

We’ve gone during Thanksgiving week several times because we have attended a non-Disney event at the DTD Hilton. The week leading up to Thanksgiving Day was pretty reasonable, but we always avoided the parks on Thanksgiving Day. We’ve talked with others who have said they were very crowded on that day. Friday, Saturday and Sunday after are pretty busy. The one thing to point out is that the day after T-Day is also very busy OUTSIDE the parks because of the Black Friday sales going on at the nearby outlet mall. Try to avoid that area because it’s a nightmare.

And Thanksgiving dinner is of course something to consider if you aren’t in the parks. Plenty of restaurants open but remember to go before you are hungry. There will definitely be a wait no matter which restaurant you select.

If it were me - I’d enjoy a wonderful Thanksgiving at home and then head off to WDW after Thanksgiving weekend was over. All the decorations will be up and the crowds will be non-existent, which makes for a much, much nicer visit. We learned our lesson the hard way last year. I wanted to spend one Christmas at WDW - NEVER AGAIN!!!:pinch:

Thanks for all the advice!!! :laugh:

How is the weather like over thanksgiving?

thanksgiving is 1 of the worst times to visit disney

Based on what?

Crowd levels - it was busy, but not Spring Break busy. That said, we did NOT hit the parks on Thanksgiving Day, 'cept for a quick trip into Epcot late AM.

The parks are decorated. Food is good. Warmer than home.

I am not home with the extended family.

What more could you ask for!

YMMV

[QUOTE=Elmo;1024240]Based on what?

Crowd levels - it was busy, but not Spring Break busy. That said, we did NOT hit the parks on Thanksgiving Day, 'cept for a quick trip into Epcot late AM.

The parks are decorated. Food is good. Warmer than home.

I am not home with the extended family.

What more could you ask for!

YMMV[/QUOTE]

I do agree with you! The crowds are not perfect, but its still Disney! There are few times in the year my whole family can go and if I can get the opportunity to go, I am gonna take it!