Thanksgiving weekend...yah or nah?

I really wanted to pass on disney this winter but it is a tradition to go during the holidays. My parents suggested we look into going the day after Thanksgiving. It would be just for the weekend. We normally go either the first weekend in December or the second. I know the crowds are real bad in December but the day after Thanksgiving I am not sure about. My parents have seasonal tickets that expire on Nov 30th so if we went this particular weekend it would save them from having to get the renewals. Same as us with my son’s ticket. My ticket and h’s just expired and we have to get new ones regardless of whether it is Nov or Dec that we go.

Anyone know about the crowds that Thanksgiving weekend? I already found out that the resorts are more $$ for that weekend in November. I got a quote of $149 for French Quarter- waterview room. That was all that was available. And they only had a studio or villa at AKL for $244 per night. The rate we got for December for Coronado was $94 per night, and $160 (with tax) for AKL.

We were there last Thanksgiving and it was very crowded! We even stayed through the weekend until the following Tuesday thinking the crowds would be light on that Monday…no way! The crowds were still huge. But…we had a blast anyway:)

If it’s the only time you can go, then that’s when you go.
If you can go the week before or the week after, that would be better. And your room will cost less as well. Early December crowds aren’t bad. The crunch starts after Dec 18 or so.

We have gone the past three years and check in black friday and stay 7 nights. The weekend is very busy, but as Sunday starts to wind down so do the crowds We could actually walk right onto PoTC and get right on and it was like that for every ride! Go and enjoy! Have fun!

[QUOTE=CaraMia;992326]I really wanted to pass on disney this winter but it is a tradition to go during the holidays. My parents suggested we look into going the day after Thanksgiving. It would be just for the weekend. We normally go either the first weekend in December or the second. I know the crowds are real bad in December but the day after Thanksgiving I am not sure about. My parents have seasonal tickets that expire on Nov 30th so if we went this particular weekend it would save them from having to get the renewals. Same as us with my son’s ticket. My ticket and h’s just expired and we have to get new ones regardless of whether it is Nov or Dec that we go.

Anyone know about the crowds that Thanksgiving weekend? I already found out that the resorts are more $$ for that weekend in November. I got a quote of $149 for French Quarter- waterview room. That was all that was available. And they only had a studio or villa at AKL for $244 per night. The rate we got for December for Coronado was $94 per night, and $160 (with tax) for AKL.[/QUOTE]

Don’t do it!!! Go a week or two before. You need to be close to Thanksgiving to see the holiday lights, but to go on the actual holiday is just not a good idea (just my opinion, of course)

Having said that I’m going the week before to DL staying from fri nite and departing tues. morning. I’m only doing it because we know a lot of people that are going at the same time, but if they were going ON Thanksgiving I wouldn’t be joining them.

Thanksgiving dinner at Cinderella’s Castle is a one 0f a kind experience…

My sister and bil brought their girls to the Castle for dinner a few weeks ago. My brother in law got food poisoning from the pork chops. I think we will pass on dinner there…my DS isn’t into eatting with those characters anyway. Too girlie for him…lol

We are doing Thanksgiving again this year. It is busy, but doable. Spring break was WAY busier.

We avoided the parks on Thanksgiving Day. We watched some of the Macy’s parade, hit the pool, then toured the resorts to see the Christmas decorations. It is great because everyone is in the parks!

Then it was dinner at Mickey’s BBQ.

We found the crowds slowly increased each day during the Thanksgiving week.

We flew to WDW on Thanksgiving day one year and stayed till Dec. 9th. It was very busy Thanksgiving weekend but the Monday after until when we left the entire WDW crowds were very low. All the Christmas decorations were up. It was one of the best times we were there. But the temps were down and it was a little cool.

I did MK on Thanksgiving Day a number of years ago…and vowed I’d open a vein before ever doing that again. The crowds were indescribable. Walking down Main Street was an exercise in pushing, shoving, and holding your ground…I was convinced someone was going to get trampled.

I love the holiday decorations and lights, but I would suggest earlier in November…they’ll be up, you’ll enjoy the holiday spirit, but you won’t be risking your life!